XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

06-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
erictrainer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 6MT MG on SO

Cadillac Escalade - What do you know?

Hey guys, my wife's F15 X5 has reached its family hauling potential (3kids), despite having the third row option we find ourselves maxed out on space for family road trips or even on daily trips with bicycles, strollers, etc.... I was looking at buying a hitch to put a cargo rack in the back but quite honestly even in daily usability it is very limited.

Anyway, looking to buy/trade for a latest gen Escalade. Wife likes smaller cars (hence the X5) so I was looking at the shorter wheelbase version. Pros are that sweet 6,2L engine, addl space, all the flexibility and convenience with the power folddown seats. Cons big size, maybe too trucklike driving experience.

If anyone has one of these would like to hear their opinion, what I should look out for, must have options, reliability, etc. Also how is the resale on these? Finally, if there is another car you might think would be better fit I'm open to suggestions except for a minivan, regardless really interested to hear from the Escalade crowd.

Thanks!

Last edited by erictrainer; 06-21-2017 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

We made the same move when we had a third kid, at the time we had 3 car seats to deal with, and that was just not going to work without a bigger ride.

We ended up with the long bus, my wife wanted the smaller escalade until we went to the dealership with the crap we needed to haul, mainly the stroller that can fit 2 kids, it was an absolute no-go with the third row up.

My recommendation, get the long Escalade, make sure you get second row captains chairs, this is key. If you get a second row bench and you have car seats then the kid in the back row has to climb over the seat, or you have to remove a child seat just to access the third row. You also get a second screen in the ceiling of the longer Escalade.

My wife is little and she likes driving a big vehicle, the cameras make it easy to see everything in a parking lot, and GM has done a good job at making it maneuverable, the turning radius is good, you can get into and out of parking lots/garages/drive throughs without any problem.

They have done a good job making it not feel too 'trucky' its comfortable on road trips (the only time I drive it), the auto cruise control is very nice on the highway.

Things I don't like, the CUE system is ok, if I used it every day I would be more proficient with it, but there are steering wheel controls for what you need. I don't thing the front seats are great, they look nice, but I am more comfortable in my Raptor, or ZL1 for that matter.

It spends most of its time around town, ill check the onstar app, 14.6 avg mpg, the best I have seen was 20 mpg avg on 500 mile road trip when it was brand new.

OnStar is pretty cool, the truck is a wifi hot spot for the kids iPads.

That covers most of it, I'll try to answer any questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For the pic or it didn't happen club. I think this is the only pic I have of the beast.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
erictrainer
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks a lot...great feedback...and sweet ride! Quite honestly the long one is going to be a real hard sale, don't think that will be happening. Agreed that with the third row up there is not much space back there, but still a lot better than the x5 with its sloped down roof.

How about rattles? I've always heard the typical forum blanket statement about rattles and creakiness because GM, what is your experience thus far and how much mileage you got on her? What year is yours, any significant model year changes since 2015 I shuold be aware of?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictrainer View Post
Thanks a lot...great feedback...and sweet ride! Quite honestly the long one is going to be a real hard sale, don't think that will be happening. Agreed that with the third row up there is not much space back there, but still a lot better than the x5 with its sloped down roof.

How about rattles? I've always heard the typical forum blanket statement about rattles and creakiness because GM, what is your experience thus far and how much mileage you got on her? What year is yours, any significant model year changes since 2015 I shuold be aware of?
Our is a 2015, one of the first 8 speed trans that we could find (time was not on our side).

I am not aware of any significant updates, but I have not really been paying attention, they may have (hopefully) updated CUE with Apple Car play and such.

We have 33,000 miles, and I have no squeaks or rattles to report (and I am a freak about squeaks and rattles), the is an occasional noise from what sounds like the rear suspension (clunk, i guess I would call it) but it is only if you hit a particularly bad pot hole at freeway speed, and its one and done, I chalk it up to a body on frame solid axle vehicle with low profile tires.

The liftgate needs to be adjusted, at the very top of its travel its making a nasty sound, it hasn't been hit and its under warranty, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

It has had a couple of recalls, nothing major, just done with oil changes.

Its a good truck, GM has been making these things for a long time, and they are pretty good at it.

I would encourage you and your wife to take your stroller, diaper bag, and whatever seat is going in the third row to the dealership and see how it fits.

We thought we could leave one part of the third row down and put stuff in that way...maybe, but stuff would be falling on the kid all the time.

What pushed us over the edge is reading about 3 row crash ratings, and how there is/was very little specific 3rd row testing done, they are starting to do more of this now. There are of course some horrific 3rd row crash stories, but most fatal accidents are head-ons, where the third row is safer. I do know that I am comforted by that extra 3 feet of truck chassis between the rear bumper and my (now) 7 year old's head...even if she can be a bit difficult...

(made bold incase you read nothing else)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

I would go for new 2017 Navigator, had a chance to sit in one - really imprecise interior, especially 32-way adjustable seats :

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
I would go for new 2017 Navigator, had a chance to sit in one - really imprecise interior, especially 32-way adjustable seats :
I would definitely cross shop that, I am a fan of the ecoBoost engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Pardon my ignorance, what's so special about ecoBoost engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I would definitely cross shop that, I am a fan of the ecoBoost engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
Blindside
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Fun fact: The new Navigator will share the 3.5L HO motor from the 2017+ Raptor and its new 10-speed transmission, 450hp and 510tq.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #10
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Pardon my ignorance, what's so special about ecoBoost engines?
It is an industry first for the light/medium duty truck application. Prior to the ecoBoost (3.5L twin turbo V-6) it was all about displacement. Bigger and bigger V-8s and V-10s, which are cool, but not very efficient.

These new 3.5L Turbo Sixes will destroy the old 8.0L V-10s and 454 V-8s of yesteryear.
Appreciate 1
Sedoy680.00
      06-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #11
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
Fun fact: The new Navigator will share the 3.5L HO motor from the 2017+ Raptor and its new 10-speed transmission, 450hp and 510tq.
That 10 speed is bad ass, I have one in my ZL1, it is outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #12
erictrainer
Lieutenant
Rep

Hmmmmmmm interesting will be checking that out
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #13
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Not a big fan of them.

The short wheelbase ones are pretty much useless. The 3rd row will only accommodate kids, and there's no space behind them when they are upright. CUE is an outright deal breaker, imo.

As for the drive, powertrain is good, but I think they feel rather cheap and flimsy. The Escalade is better in this regard than the GMC and Chevy, but still. Doesn't feel like the price tag to me.

I think you'd be better served by one of the larger crossovers- Atlas, new Traverse, etc.
The full-size SUV's only excel at outright power and towing. They won't off road worth a damn, they handle like boats, have eye-watering prices and depreciation, and are just poorly packaged in general.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #14
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

One of my business partners just got a Q7, not sure how much room there is behind the 3rd row though. He was also looking at the Volvo SUV.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #15
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

I was actually cross shopping the Lexus LX570, MB GLS and the Escalade.

My 2 GMC 1500 6.2 Denali's I have here at my company have been absolute gems. This is an excellent motor and pulls real strong. I'm glad the Caddy comes with it.

I'm with the guy above. I need the extra room plus third row and the Escalade short wheelbase lacks cargo room. If I were to purchase the Caddy, it would be without questions the longer wheelbase.

The Lexus LX570 can be had for 10-15K off MSRP right now.

The MB GLS can be had at 5K off and in about a couple months when the year changes over to the 2018, I would imagine it would be closer to 10k.

After all is said and done, the best SUV with 3rd row seating to me was the GLS. This is coming from a guy who hates MBZ. It had the best 3rd row seat comfort, best handling and driving characteristics with an adequate amount of technology in the interior. The Lexus loses a lot of cargo room cause of the flip up 3rd row. Also it has the smallest amount of leg room and cargo room when the 3rd row seat is in play. The Escalade at 80K plus felt very cheap to me. Too many parts shared with its lower end counterparts. Drove ok. Technology was ok. Just did nothing great in my opinion...

All 3 SUV's fall within the same price range after the discounts...
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #16
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
I was actually cross shopping the Lexus LX570, MB GLS and the Escalade.
We looked at those too, if the GL had second row captains chairs I probably would have gotten a GL diesel, but with 3 car seats it was a no go.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 03:30 AM   #17
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
what about the 2018 Ford Expedition that's due soon
I'm also looking for a large suv now with 3 rows, am waiting to see the Ford Expedition myself before making any decision.
And as mentioned above, having 2nd row bucket seats is crucial especially with car seats
Maybe don't need to worry about the 2nd row buckets seats after all for the new Expedition as i just read this

"The all-new Ford Expedition is the first full-size utility to feature a sliding second-row seat with tip-and-slide functionality, providing easy access to the third row without the need to first remove a child safety seat. Once in the third row, even adults will appreciate more legroom and reclining seats."
Attached Images

Last edited by wuufer001; 06-30-2017 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #18
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Some think it's boring, but I don't. Q7.
7700lb tow rating, virtual cockpit, 'drivers' suv label from many reviews. I saw a white one with black side blades, grill, trim, wheels and I thought it looked really good. 0-60 is 5.6 iirc.
Loaded is around 80k.

Chevy is introducing their Tahoe/Suburban RST very soon. I like what I've read and seen about it (tahoe). The suburban will not get the 6 liter.

Good luck.
      06-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #19
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
A minivan is the way to go. I don't care about the stigma, a minivan is much better to drive, much more practical for kid hauling duties, and much cheaper to fuel than a full-size SUV.

The only SUVs with more room are the Suburban, Yukon XL, and long-wheelbase versions of the Escalade, Expedition & Navigator. I'd much rather drive and fuel a minivan than a huge truck based SUV.

If however you and/or your wife have an irrational dislike of minivans then the best crossovers for hauling duties are the new 2018 Chevy Traverse & Buick Enclave. Honda Pilot and VW Atlas are also in the running.

But none of them beats a minivan.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #20
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasM View Post
A minivan is the way to go. I don't care about the stigma, a minivan is much better to drive, much more practical for kid hauling duties, and much cheaper to fuel than a full-size SUV.

The only SUVs with more room are the Suburban, Yukon XL, and long-wheelbase versions of the Escalade, Expedition & Navigator. I'd much rather drive and fuel a minivan than a huge truck based SUV.

If however you and/or your wife have an irrational dislike of minivans then the best crossovers for hauling duties are the new 2018 Chevy Traverse & Buick Enclave. Honda Pilot and VW Atlas are also in the running.

the cost of 3 gallons of gas a week is a small price to pay for ones dignity and self respect
Appreciate 2
swanson733.00
CPWINCH732.00
      06-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #21
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasM View Post

You ever see how miserable the guy behind the wheel looks driving one of those things? I'd rather walk.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #22
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictrainer View Post
Hey guys, my wife's F15 X5 has reached its family hauling potential (3kids), despite having the third row option we find ourselves maxed out on space for family road trips or even on daily trips with bicycles, strollers, etc.... I was looking at buying a hitch to put a cargo rack in the back but quite honestly even in daily usability it is very limited.

Anyway, looking to buy/trade for a latest gen Escalade. Wife likes smaller cars (hence the X5) so I was looking at the shorter wheelbase version. Pros are that sweet 6,2L engine, addl space, all the flexibility and convenience with the power folddown seats. Cons big size, maybe too trucklike driving experience.

If anyone has one of these would like to hear their opinion, what I should look out for, must have options, reliability, etc. Also how is the resale on these? Finally, if there is another car you might think would be better fit I'm open to suggestions except for a minivan, regardless really interested to hear from the Escalade crowd.

Thanks!
....something else American ......2018 Dodge Durango SRT....475 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 470 lb-ft of torque at 4,300 rpm, creating a family vehicle that will go from 0 to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds and through the quarter mile in 12.9 seconds.........