Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #45
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Car magazines have done a full review of the Countryman because I get Autoweek, Car and Driver , Motor Trend and Automobile and have read them. One did a full test verses the Nissan Puke (I mean Juke). They are selling very well, Mini publishes sales so go to motoringfile.com and should be in the January and worldwide numbers.

There's no way the X1 2.0 will get 24 city and 35 highway, that may be how it converts but its a totally different test for EPA verses Europe. I'd be supprised if its over 22 and 30. Don't get me wrong because I just talked my wife into getting the X1 verses a Countryman (we have a Clubman S).
MT did the comparison and ranked the Juke number 1. I found the Automobile review http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...man/index.html I don't know how I missed that. Thanks.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 03-02-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:19 AM   #46
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

As much as I liked the Mini and the Clubman, I just can't stand the Countryman.
Besides bearing the Mini name, it has lost all the retro nouveau appeal of the two other models.

The Mini was, well, a Mini, with deliberate hints at the original such as the big round headlights or the central round speedo. Not to mention the driving sensations it provides.
The Clubman reminded me more of a modern Morris Minor, but it still had its charm and a very British air of shooting brake. A car that Emma Peel of Avengers fame might have chosen as a daily driver.

But the Countryman looks like nothing. It doesn't have the charisma of the originals, and let alone the 'reference capital' to an vintage similar Mini. I find it a typical marketing spin off to capitalize on the Mini brand success.

Yeah right, I digress...
      03-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #47
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

There is another thread somewhere where I wrote of my experience with the Countryman and comparing it with the X1.

Anyway I cannot find it now so a brief summary:

Negatives (sort of)
1. There is a big difference in size. The Mini Countryman is a lot smaller.
2. The Mini has more body roll
3. It only has 4 seats unless you take the rear bench option
4. That bar down the middle is a stupid, stupid idea.
5. The cockpit layout is "busy", X1's is much better.
6. Don't now if its changed but the 4x4 was only available on the Cooper S at the time
7. The 2.0d X1 has better performance than the top spec CooperS Countryman
8. Like for like its very expensive. To get similar levels of performance you have to spec the Countryman to a very high level. The one I test drove was the same price as a base 2.0d X1 Xdrive!
9. Boot opening is a very awkward shape.

Positives
1. Its very solid and well built.
2. Quality seems to be improved over my standard Mini Cooper.
3. Its quirky and I like that.
4. It has four doors which is important if you have young kids.
5. Good quality ride.
6. Rear individual seats are very comfortable.

Anyway as I said elsewhere I took one for a test drive to see whether I made the right choice in going for the X1 over the Countryman. In my case I made the right decision. The two cars are nowhere near direct competitors. I already own a Mini Cooper but would consider the Countryman as a replacement for the Cooper if I wanted something slightly larger, in 4x4 and with 4doors. Saying that I would be sacrificing a bit of the fun factor of the Cooper.

If anyone has questions about my test drive, fire away and I will try and answer them.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0