XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
eugenelt
Rep
Drives: None yet

"No entries" on USB drive

I hooked up a USB hard drive with MP3s to AUX input, and it takes an awful lot of time to read all the tracks. Literally its been in a car for a few days, and while most of the directories list the files, some still would show "No entries" when browsing them.
Manual states that vehicle stores the tracks info, but I'm curious if it will not display tracks at all unless it has read all tracks, which would seems like a stupid decision, or there's something wrong with my unit or hdd?
And if it is indeed this slow, is there any way to speed it up, e.g. provide a some sort of track list perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

How many gigs of music do you have on it? And are there other non-music files on there as well? I think you might have problems if there is a bunch of other stuff on the drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
eugenelt
Rep

Quite a bit, but they were all showing up, though it took a while to actually discover all the files. Made some changes, and it wasn't able to list the files for days now.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

If you're using an actual HDD there might be a power issue as spinning the disks takes a lot of energy. Try using a flash memory drive instead. I've got around 16 gigs on a 32GB drive and it works perfectly, finds all of the tracks pretty quick.

Also the file format could be an issue. I know the car supports MP3's but if you load .wav, .flac, .acc, etc then it just might not support those files altogether (I don't have the full list of supported formats so check your manual/dealer
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

If you're using the USB on the console, it says that it is not compatible with iPods etc. I have all of my music on a flash drive in the USB port on the console and the music is immediately available. I also loaded it into the cars hard drive via the USB in the glove box and it took less than 10 minutes for all of the music to load.
      10-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #6
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

It worked for me perfectly too but at one point after deleting and adding some songs iDrive was only displaying one song out of around 100 songs though I could see all of them in my computer. Since, there weren't many I just formatted my USB with default settings and re-added all the songs to it and it was all good. I have inserted album arts to all those songs and looks awesome on iDrive screen while playing songs through USB. Only thing that disappointed me was that when copying those songs to iDrive HDD album arts don't get copied at all and it's back to text only while playing songs through HDD .

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #7
eugenelt
Rep

I'll try a flash drive to see if it'll make a difference.
Don't quite see why it would, though. The vehicle obviously has enough power to spin mobile hdd. It is able to read it, its just some content is missing.
First time around it took a few days i think (fairly short rides, though) to list all the content, it literally would display content in first directory, but next would show no entries, then it would start showing content in next directory, until it would display it all.
And then I made changes to content, and looks like its stuck.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

A tiny USB drive looks a lot cleaner, too. I use this little guy and it's barely noticeable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00

There are even smaller ones, of course, but I wanted to be able to plug it right into my phone to add stuff at any time.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

I use a similar one - it's barely noticeable plugged in and hardly takes any room at all.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLER2CS/

Regarding the power, don't forget that electronics heat up and become less efficient, it's possible that there is enough power at the beginning to spin in it up but once the voltage controller heats up it becomes less efficient and stops being able to supply enough power.
Given some of the issues people are having charging their phones through that port I really wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
Appreciate 0