XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

It's here!

After being in Bimmer limbo for a couple weeks while our dealer attempted to free our car from the port in Joisy, it arrived and we picked it up on Tuesday.
Only a couple hundred miles on it; some preliminary impressions:
-handling is as good as I had recalled on the test drive, as is the power, tho' we're trying to use some discretion 'till the breakin period is done
-quiet inside unless you manage to drop a wheel onto those roadside 'rumble strips'; that is loud
-the cruise control and other small controls are reasonably easy to use and we're getting them figured out
-I'm not dazzled with the fuel mileage thus far
-what in hell were they thinking with the 'manifold vacuum' gauge at the bottom of the tach? I'd far rather have a temp gauge
-good lights, a useful thing on our dark Westsylvania roads

Spent the evening getting most of my crap moved in, and I'm shopping around for some sloppy weather floormats; suggestions?
Moon
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

Weathertec if they make em for the X1

I have been using the BMW rubber all weather mats. Pretty good so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Congrats...I have the weather tech floor liners and trunk liner for my X1 and they are worth the investment. Recommended without qualification.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
zznalg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

That 'current fuel mileage gauge' has been on the dash of many bimmers for at least 30 years. It's 'classic bmw' at this point. And yes, it is a bit useless but entertaining. The 35 has an oil temp gauge in the same spot.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Congrats!

I also have the BMW rubber floor mats with the "X Drive" logo on them. Pretty good so far, no complaints.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #6
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
After being in Bimmer limbo for a couple weeks while our dealer attempted to free our car from the port in Joisy, it arrived and we picked it up on Tuesday.
Only a couple hundred miles on it; some preliminary impressions:
-handling is as good as I had recalled on the test drive, as is the power, tho' we're trying to use some discretion 'till the breakin period is done
-quiet inside unless you manage to drop a wheel onto those roadside 'rumble strips'; that is loud
-the cruise control and other small controls are reasonably easy to use and we're getting them figured out
-I'm not dazzled with the fuel mileage thus far
-what in hell were they thinking with the 'manifold vacuum' gauge at the bottom of the tach? I'd far rather have a temp gauge
-good lights, a useful thing on our dark Westsylvania roads

Spent the evening getting most of my crap moved in, and I'm shopping around for some sloppy weather floormats; suggestions?
Moon
Just curious, which version of lights do you have (xenon or regular)?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
elfhearse
CW5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 x28iS/10 e91M/00 Z3MC

Garage List
2014 BMW x28i  [0.00]
2010 328iT  [0.00]
Useless mileage vacuum gauge has been my big gripe for years....so when is my coolant/engine warmed up??? As a minimum a coolant temp. gauge should be there...with turbo's, oil temp. like on the 35i. I had a Mazda2 commuter pod and it had a blue "cold" coolant light that came on when you started out in the cold WX and went out after the engine warmed up. You'd think BMV could put some kind of simple coolant / oil temp. gauge in a "performance driving" vehicle.

The e91 OEM floor mats are a perfect fit for the X1 if that helps in the search. I have those in my X1 (got Coco Mats for the e91)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfhearse View Post
Useless mileage vacuum gauge has been my big gripe for years....so when is my coolant/engine warmed up??? As a minimum a coolant temp. gauge should be there...with turbo's, oil temp... (got Coco Mats for the e91)
Amen and amen; her Ladyship's panzer (aka the A4) has a temp gauge; while it warms up quickly, we have an expressway about two miles from the house that often requires an aggressive merge...hate to light the afterburners unless things are warmed up a little.
Mazda, we have the xenon lights; they were on my short list of 'gotta haves'. Been fooling with E-code lights for years (there's a 100w set in my 10 year old Wrangler), and these are even better. Both have the sharp cutoff which is a big help in sloppy weather.
zz, I'm sure you're right about the vacuum gauge...I seem to recall one in a Bimmer I test hopped years ago, long before there was any electronic calculation of mileage.
I'm between the WeatherTech and OEM; not much price difference. Are the WeatherTechs rubber?
Thnx,
Moon
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

The WeatherTechs are a synthetic rubber. They are designed for each vehicle. I have had them on all my vehicles for the last 15 years at least. The first accessory that I buy for a new vehicle is a full set of WeatherTechs.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
You can have your dealer program a temp seeing in your free slot. Then you just push the button on your signal stalk until it displays
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
You can have your dealer program a temp seeing in your free slot. Then you just push the button on your signal stalk until it displays
Twix, this sounds like a great idea. Can you give me a few more details so that I can explain it to my dealer?
Thanks,
Moon
Appreciate 0