XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x1

Is the M Sport Package for X1 worth it? What are some "MUST" packages to include?

Is the M Sport Package for X1 worth it?

I see many posted their x1 pics here, but without it?

Whats the most common/a must package that i should consider?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

I wouldn't buy any BMW without the M Sport package.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Macphisto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
x2 – lighting package too
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I like the exterior of the m sport, but the interior is rather bleak and boring to me. I opted for the sport line because of the nicer interior. Although, the coral red makes the interior nice in any car. Just for the love of god don't buy white or blue. I'm sick of seeing those colours.

Premium package is a must, for the heated steering wheel. I use mine every day in the winter. I also didn't think I would love my pano roof, but I couldn't live without it now.

The executive package was a must for me as well, I can't live without sirius radio, plus I like the compass in the mirror and the hands-free comfort access.

The m sport has a stiffer suspension, used to be lowered 10mm but that's not true anymore. Some have said the stiffer suspension is too stiff. I can tell you that my AC Schnitzer springs are much more stiff and I've come not notice how hard the ride is in my car. It was pretty soft before, but not so soft that it wouldn't handle well.

Go in and test drive an M sport, and an X line. Get a feel for the non sports seats and the sport suspension. Also, make sure one is a 28i and one is the 35i.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

I'm glad that I went with M Sport at the end coz I was leaning towards Sport line throughout my deciding phase

I love the M aerodynamics - the M front looks good. Body color side skirts, to my eyes, looks better than the black sides, front & back on other lines.

18" staggered M Sport wheels give the car a sportier/aggressive look. Sometimes I wish I would have opted for 19" as 18" still kinda looks small to me But I'm coping it with the counter-wish that if I would go bigger I'd go wider as well - 245 front & 275 back

I wasn't going for extra $2000 leather upholstery. p-leather that came with other lines here felt rather cheap. I'm loving the alcantara/grey cloth upholstery that came with M Sport here Now, I'm wishing to change to alcantara steering as well. Lets see how my financial condition favours it in the future coz it definitely doesn't atm

I also loved the M manual shift but unfortunately couldn't get it (long story )

Then I was new to BMW. Now, like danielj said, I wouldn't buy one without M Sport even if it's just a package like in X1

Regarding the packages, I'm a 'have it all' kinda guy coz I can handle disappointment after having sth but regret of not having sth would haunt me for life . I don't know how you have them grouped there but I'm loving the:
-Comfort access: keyless entry, heated seats, lumbar support, electric seat adjustment with memory function for driver's seat (when I'm waiting in a car I hit a button and it moves to lying position another button and I'm back to driving position smoothly )
-Parking package: Rear view camera is a must. I wish I could add front view camera as well with OEM feel? I love the auto-tilt passenger mirror while reverse-parking.
-Visibility package: I haven't seen much of a wow factor here but since I love seeing angle eyes on on other bimmers I love turning mine on as well . May be other things I'm taking for granted as my headlights are always on automatic.
-Panorama sunroof: it was my deciding factor. I wouldn't get any car if it didn't have one. It was a no-no even if the car only had one small sunroof

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
NumberSix
Veloce
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future X1???

Just get the M Sport with the Ultimate Package with heated seats and be done with it
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Orangee94
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55 DCT 2013

Must get the xenon headlights. Down in aus it was rare for a x1 to have it and I must say when i saw one with them wow it made a x1 more premium and aggressive even without m pack. I myself had one without the angel eyes and must say it was very hard for me to love it cuz it was just missing that 1 touch.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Quote:
+1

Current: 18 X3 xDrive30i
Past: 03 530i Sport | 06 330ci ZHP | 14 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport | 11 328i M-Sport | 98 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep

So you guys didn't opt-in for navigation/technology package?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I guess everyone has a different opinion about this sort of stuff, but my opinion is that once you get past $40k, there are so many other nicer vehicles to consider over an X1. I got my X1 mostly because it was cheaper. Mine was only $37k MSRP and basically a base model with the lightning & technology packages.

I think once you get up to around $45k, the X3, Mercedes GLK, Range Rover Evoque, and Audi Q5 all become possibilities. I just feel like the interior of the X1 is too cheap to warrant a $40k+ price.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #11
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
The m sport has a stiffer suspension, used to be lowered 10mm but that's not true anymore.
Please tell us more. When did this change happen and why? (Is it substantiated by part number changes or revised versions?)
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #12
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
I think once you get up to around $45k, the X3, Mercedes GLK, Range Rover Evoque, and Audi Q5 all become possibilities. I just feel like the interior of the X1 is too cheap to warrant a $40k+ price.
But then you get into another size class. Some of us enjoy compact dimensions.

The interior of the x1 is quite basic, even in my fully-optioned x1. I was recently in the new GLA, it's worlds apart from the dated x1 interior. Hopefully BMW addresses this with the next generation. I would have passed on the x1 but with the 6cyl and M Sport, it drives so well...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #13
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
But then you get into another size class. Some of us enjoy compact dimensions.

The interior of the x1 is quite basic, even in my fully-optioned x1. I was recently in the new GLA, it's worlds apart from the dated x1 interior. Hopefully BMW addresses this with the next generation. I would have passed on the x1 but with the 6cyl and M Sport, it drives so well...
Yeah, unfortunately that seems to be a problem with most cars. They assume that if you get a small car then you don't want the luxuries that the bigger cars have. Personally I would love if they had a smaller SUV that had the features of the X5/X6. But BMW, Mercedes & Audi have yet to have anything like that. The Porsche Macan and Range Rover Evoque seem to be the only smaller SUVs that have the expensive luxury features that come in the much larger SUVs.

As for me, I wouldn't mind if my car was slightly bigger, but I certainly don't need the added size. A few years back when I had a larger budget, I owned a 2006 X5 (first generation), and that car was wonderful. It was similar size to the current X3, but drove worlds better than my current X1 does. Much smoother over bumps, and also better handling around turns. But that was a $55k vehicle.

Do I need that added size? No. But do I want the nicer features? Yes. So given that dilemma, I would go for the larger vehicle.

Alternatively, if someone was going to spend $46-48k and get a fully loaded X1 and they are more into the "hot hatch" driving experience than necessarily getting an SUV, then I would suggest springing for the extra $3-4k and going with the new GLA45 AMG.

Some features I'd like to see available in a small SUV are: power liftgate, power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, ventilated seats, leather on the dash and real metal buttons/switches instead of silver painted plastic.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmr View Post
So you guys didn't opt-in for navigation/technology package?
Oh I forgot to mention about it .. I opted for pro coz business had few limitations like no DVD, internet, split screen and small size screen. Anyway, I was disappointed with pro as well that it didn't play vidoes through USB and BMW don't offer connected drive services like BMW Apps and BMW Remote as x1 here don't come equipped with built-in SIM. I didn't know about these when I ordered mine. I don't know if these services come with business. So, honestly speaking big screen looks nice but other than using it for nav I just have it lying open for nothing other times so I just switch the screen off . Playing music & radio you don't need the screen. Since I play music through bluetooth from my phone I can't select playlist or songs from the screen any way. So, I suggest you check these things before opting for either.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 01:46 AM   #15
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep

Damn, now I am debating if I should go for the GLA45 or the x1 (2015) or the x1 (2016)

So many choices!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 06:21 AM   #16
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
Alternatively, if someone was going to spend $46-48k and get a fully loaded X1 and they are more into the "hot hatch" driving experience than necessarily getting an SUV, then I would suggest springing for the extra $3-4k and going with the new GLA45 AMG.
My fully optioned X1 was had for $45k ($500 above invoice). A similarly optioned GLA45 AMG runs for $10k more. If I were able to even consider the AMG, I would make the same argument and spend $10k more than that on a Macan, also similarly optioned but with air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #17
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmr View Post
Damn, now I am debating if I should go for the GLA45 or the x1 (2015) or the x1 (2016)

So many choices!
To be honest, I wouldn't buy current gen x1 now. I'd opt for something else or wait till the next gen is out if possible. I bought my x1 back when it first hit our dealers, knowing I purchased a vehicle launched in 09 and based on dated architecture. While its a great driver, it's lacking many features the newer models have.

If a the x1 is a must, I'd opt for a gently used one.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #18
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, I wouldn't buy current gen x1 now. I'd opt for something else or wait till the next gen is out if possible. I bought my x1 back when it first hit our dealers, knowing I purchased a vehicle launched in 09 and based on dated architecture. While its a great driver, it's lacking many features the newer models have.

If a the x1 is a must, I'd opt for a gently used one.
I wouldn't say it's a must, but I would like a new car by Jan 2015.

I would wait for the 2016 x1 new gen, but it doesnt even seem to be even announced yet. I highly doubt it would be available for sale or in showroom anytime soon.

As for the GLA45 AMG, while it's nice, but like what the other poster mentioned above, it relatively more expensive than a X1 with similar specs.

I will be financing the x1. Its now 1.9% in Canada, and GLA45 AMG is probably like 4.9% (not confirmed). So the financing alone will be a big difference.

Also, I am not sure if I want to go with a first-gen first year model...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #19
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
The brochure I had for the 2012 X1 listed M sport suspension with 10mm lowering. I'm sure they canned it with the LCI update. May have been a typo, but I wish I kept that booklet.

OP; my X1 came in at 52k all said and done. Sportline 28i with every box but nav ticked. You should be able to get a better deal now as I bought mine at the height of X1 sales.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #20
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I'm not a fan of M Sport packages being a long time M owner and snob. I like the standard sport packages better.

We just picked up a 15 X1 for my wife over the weekend. Went X Line and Ultimate package along w/ heated seats and a few other solo add-ons. It's a 28i s drive AW/Terra. We love it. Got it for about $1800 under invoice with innovation.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #21
3Bims
Private
Rep
Drives: XXX

If cost is an important consideration, you might consider waiting a bit longer and buying a fully loaded 2014 for way below invoice. 2013, 2014 and 2015 are same car. As far as M or not, depends on how you drive... If you are going to push every turn to the max, the stiffer suspension will help (as will the bolstered seats). If that's not how you drive then M becomes only cosmetic but with harder ride.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #22
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

I couldn't fit in a X1 equipped with sport seats. The bolsters are too high for me to allow head clearance. I also really like the mineral white color; I have to park outside, and it looks better dirty. It may sound like flatulence, but the 3 liter turbo model goes like stink.
Appreciate 0