Rep
Drives: F25 X3 xDrive 20i

Garage List
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Do you recomend the x1 e84 ?

Hi Guys,

Do you recommend the x1 e84 ?
Any common issues, faults, defects?
I used to own an e90 320i, and i've had up to here with common/known issues, so i'm thinking of changing, but would like to stay in the BMW family.

Regards,
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

It's an E90 on stilts, so with the exception of BMW ironing out bugs for the last 5-10 years, your getting a very similar car.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

The ones we get in the states are quite different from what's available in AU. Only two drivetrains here; the N20 turbo4, and the N55 turbo6. We can't get diesels, so I can't comment on them. I like mine, even though some things bother me, like the throttle tip-in/hesitation, and the stock (Non-Tech pkg) USB plugs wont play iPods w/o using the aux. port too. Fast, and fun to drive.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

If you're looking for a small hatchback with all-wheel drive along with superior performance and handling, the X1 is a great choice. I love my car and cannot imagine any other brand that meets these requirements. The 2015 model year is the last E84 ever, as the F48 replacement is expected to be more like the Mini Countryman. The X1 is based on the E90, so be aware if you decide on it...

Last edited by tominavl; 03-17-2015 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Error
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 03:41 AM   #5
badgesnob
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Thank you all. it's really a hit and miss, with BMW these days, you don't know which one is going to end up a lemon, so i'm not feeling too confident about buying an X1.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

I can understand your position. BMW is very scattered with too many models it seems. Care to share which alternatives you're considering?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Not sure why you worry about getting a lemon with BMW, that is the same for any car.
The engines (N20 and N55) are reliable, engine used in X1 is used in all models.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Agreed, it's an old chassis (E Series) with old technology and old motors (N Series). The kinks have pretty well been worked out. Ours has been very reliable, much more so than our 2008 135i.

New G Series chassis and B Series motors are coming soon, look there for potential worries.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
code_monkey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 x1 35i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
The ones we get in the states are quite different from what's available in AU. Only two drivetrains here; the N20 turbo4, and the N55 turbo6. We can't get diesels, so I can't comment on them. I like mine, even though some things bother me, like the throttle tip-in/hesitation, and the stock (Non-Tech pkg) USB plugs wont play iPods w/o using the aux. port too. Fast, and fun to drive.
Did you try out the TBA reset described here: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455949

I recently did it and it had an immediate impact. Doubt that it'll last given what I read in the thread, but even once a week to get rid of the initial lag should do the trick till I get to do a tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #10
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
It's an E90 on stilts, so with the exception of BMW ironing out bugs for the last 5-10 years, your getting a very similar car.
So based on what you said, the N20/N55 (e90 chassis) is pretty much 'perfected' and matured right?

What about the new F48 x1? What engine would it be using? Or do you guys expect bugs here and there - since its the first new generation of the X1 etc
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Once again, the F48 will be on the tail end of the F Chassis. It shares the UKL chassis with the current Mini Cooper, albeit stretched and with Haldex. But technology wise, it will be tied to the F series cars that have been out since the F01 7er.

Engine wise it will have a version of the B48 transversely mounted in the Mini and 2AT, which have been around for a while now and share quite a few parts with the soon to be retired N20 found longitudinally mounted in all sorts of BMW's.

So as the E84 was at the tail end of the E chassis, the F48 will be at the tail end of the F chassis with relatively well proven technology and motors.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #12
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Once again, the F48 will be on the tail end of the F Chassis. It shares the UKL chassis with the current Mini Cooper, albeit stretched and with Haldex. But technology wise, it will be tied to the F series cars that have been out since the F01 7er.

Engine wise it will have a version of the B48 transversely mounted in the Mini and 2AT, which have been around for a while now and share quite a few parts with the soon to be retired N20 found longitudinally mounted in all sorts of BMW's.

So as the E84 was at the tail end of the E chassis, the F48 will be at the tail end of the F chassis with relatively well proven technology and motors.
So to sum it up, I guess both E84 and F48 would just be as reliable in this case?

Why are they always putting old sh*t on the x1 and present it as a new model / new gen.

It almost seems like the x1 is created as a strategy to get rid of old parts and engines lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #13
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmr View Post
So to sum it up, I guess both E84 and F48 would just be as reliable in this case?

Why are they always putting old sh*t on the x1 and present it as a new model / new gen.

It almost seems like the x1 is created as a strategy to get rid of old parts and engines lol.
If reliability is your primary requirement, I would think a proven platform would trump a first year series. The current X1 fills a niche that the new one can't. Designed to be front-drive centric should make a difference, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

The current X1 has been very reliable and fun to drive. I would not want any 1st gen release product that BMW builds because it is certain to have problems. we so easily forget the issues with the N54 engine and HPFP problems so many owners had, my neighbors last gen 335i was one of them. in any event, the F48 grocery getter is not for me. its target audience and demographic is not performance junkies. it would be an insult if they bother with an MSport version unless you want a mini cooper countryman JCW in BMW attire. Soooo disappointed with the direction top BMW brass decided to go with our X1.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #15
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_monkey View Post
Did you try out the TBA reset described here: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455949

I recently did it and it had an immediate impact. Doubt that it'll last given what I read in the thread, but even once a week to get rid of the initial lag should do the trick till I get to do a tune.
Good catch; I'll give it a try. Related note. I complained about the lag to my dealer, and they reflashed it with the "latest" software just a week ago. No difference whatsoever. I've heard the Alpina flash is helpful for general shifting sloppiness, but not effective for the throttle tip-in response.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 12:16 AM   #16
code_monkey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 x1 35i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
Good catch; I'll give it a try. Related note. I complained about the lag to my dealer, and they reflashed it with the "latest" software just a week ago. No difference whatsoever. I've heard the Alpina flash is helpful for general shifting sloppiness, but not effective for the throttle tip-in response.
I'd like to think it had an effect, but still to early so it might just be placebo. BTW the TBA reset only fixed the throttle tip-in, it didn't have any impact on the weird immediate downshift that I've experienced (and read about) when slowing down. Basically the car often prefers to downshift when slowing down rather than coasting which results in a sudden jerky slow-down effect as opposed to the usual coasting I've seen with my other cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 06:23 AM   #17
badgesnob
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominavl View Post
I can understand your position. BMW is very scattered with too many models it seems. Care to share which alternatives you're considering?
I'm looking at the Tiguan, Ford Territory, X1, Mazda CX5, 2 series active tourer.

reliability and room for 2 growing kids.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 06:25 AM   #18
badgesnob
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
Not sure why you worry about getting a lemon with BMW, that is the same for any car.
The engines (N20 and N55) are reliable, engine used in X1 is used in all models.
I used to own an e90 320i N46 engine. hmm.... so many issues....

It drained me, then I just sold it for what ever i could get for it, with all the problems highlighted.

True, it can happen to any car, i didn't expect it, to the degree of what the e90 presented in terms of defects.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 06:35 AM   #19
badgesnob
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by code_monkey View Post
I'd like to think it had an effect, but still to early so it might just be placebo. BTW the TBA reset only fixed the throttle tip-in, it didn't have any impact on the weird immediate downshift that I've experienced (and read about) when slowing down. Basically the car often prefers to downshift when slowing down rather than coasting which results in a sudden jerky slow-down effect as opposed to the usual coasting I've seen with my other cars.

Yes that started happened in the 320i e90 after the adaptive transmission learnings were reset.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #20
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgesnob View Post
I'm looking at the Tiguan, Ford Territory, X1, Mazda CX5, 2 series active tourer.

I would say the X1 is not a family car. Some use it as one, but I do not think it's particularly well suited for that.
The front seat space is better than average, while the rear seat space is worse than average. There's no climate control for the rear (and smells from the rear will reach the front). Many rear facing kids seats won't fit. The trunk isn't all that large. The suspension is on the stiffer/sportier side, which doesn't always make for the most comfortable ride. The sunroof makes it impossible to sit in the rear with it fully open without getting blasted by repetitive waves of air. It's not very frugal when loaded up (at least not the petrol models). The engine noise can be high at times.

I think it's a perfect car - for a single person or couple who likes to drive actively, and prefer to avoid highways. What it isn't is a soccer mom car. You want the X3 or X5 for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #21
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgesnob View Post

For two kids I would also look for something bigger. Definitely bigger than the X1 and Tiguan, anyway. Have you considered a Forester XT? Maybe not the level of luxury you're looking for, but they are a real hoot to drive and have a good amount of space.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #22
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep

Have you guys consider the benz GLA250? Was debating between x1 and that earlier.
Appreciate 0