Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

New X1 = Grocery Getter

http://m.motortrend.com/wot/1503_nex...d_in_snow.html

see the link...so disappointed with the direction BMW decided to go with this vehicle. long live the current gen X1 xdrive35i
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

Ugh, at best there will be a 10hp loss (over the current N20). Who introduces new models with less power than current models??
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpants
Ugh, at best there will be a 10hp loss (over the current N20). Who introduces new models with less power than current models??
It's also likely to be 300-500 pounds lighter. Pretty sure the JCW makes more torque than the N20 too.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep

Will have to wait and see, I guess. Due for a trade in at the end of this year and want to stay with the same model. Hopefully the (actual) fuel economy numbers will be closer to what is claimed - that would mitigate any loss of power or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I'm sure mpg will be better, but Mini has had a bit of a kerfuffle over their posted mileage too.

Our lease is up in August, but I think we'll buy it and wait for the 440i GC to arrive or jump ship to a Macan.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #6
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep

Do yourself a favor and jump ship to a Macan S. It is a superior vehicle to the F48. In fact, there is no comparison.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-2-sixty View Post
Do yourself a favor and jump ship to a Macan S. It is a superior vehicle to the F48. In fact, there is no comparison.
You forgot one thing: price

Low 50k base price vs low 30k base price not to mention the
Porsche options!

Now in terms of luxury and raw horsepower & torque its pretty damn good!
Personally I love Porsche and have driven the Macan Turbo (outrageous ) however the fact remains FOR THE MONEY the x1 is a steal. You can fully equip an msport 2.8 e84 (this assumes the f48 is around the same price) right now and not reach the base on the Macan. So really what you have to ask yourself in the case of the Macan is am I willing to sacrifice 50-100kish for a smallish suv that will kick most cars ass on the highway in complete luxury and style. Personally I cant afford that yet so the Macan is not for me and for me the x1 has plenty of power and refinement for what I need.

Just my 2 cents.
      03-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

It's a little apples to oranges of course, but the Macan and a 435GC come out to about the same price, assuming a small price hike for the upcoming 440i, it's probably a wash.

I'd prefer the lighter hatch, but my 5'3" wife likes being up higher, so the Macan will likely win.

If there were an M4 Gran Coupe, this would be an easy choice, but we'd really prefer a hatch to the trunk of the F80.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It's a little apples to oranges of course, but the Macan and a 435GC come out to about the same price, assuming a small price hike for the upcoming 440i, it's probably a wash.

I'd prefer the lighter hatch, but my 5'3" wife likes being up higher, so the Macan will likely win.

If there were an M4 Gran Coupe, this would be an easy choice, but we'd really prefer a hatch to the trunk of the F80.
Well the wife almost always wins so there's not much arguing there I love the GC's too, great vehicles and they look AWESOME.
      03-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep

Not sure about the Macan's styling - too much going on.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpants
It only works in black. Those side panels are just weird. You can get them painted, but they still stand out.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseAdvise View Post
You forgot one thing: price

Low 50k base price vs low 30k base price not to mention the
Porsche options!

Now in terms of luxury and raw horsepower & torque its pretty damn good!
Personally I love Porsche and have driven the Macan Turbo (outrageous ) however the fact remains FOR THE MONEY the x1 is a steal. You can fully equip an msport 2.8 e84 (this assumes the f48 is around the same price) right now and not reach the base on the Macan. So really what you have to ask yourself in the case of the Macan is am I willing to sacrifice 50-100kish for a smallish suv that will kick most cars ass on the highway in complete luxury and style. Personally I cant afford that yet so the Macan is not for me and for me the x1 has plenty of power and refinement for what I need.

Just my 2 cents.
I did not forget the Macan's price. My point is that it is senseless to compare a Macan in any guise to the upcoming F48 X1. it's common knowledge that you pay-to-play when it comes to any Porsche. only the current E84 X1 in xdrive35i Msport trim better compares with a stock Macan S in terms of 0-60 and quarter mile. now interior quality, ride comfort, NVH and appearance is another story.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #13
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

The current x1 is a grocery getter. If anyone thinks differently they are just fooling themselves.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 11:20 PM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj
The current x1 is a grocery getter. If anyone thinks differently they are just fooling themselves.
Outside of a Z4 this is pretty much true of any BMW. I made my M Coupe a track car, a grocery getter and a bike transport for a dozen years and it never complained.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 06:46 AM   #15
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpants View Post
I'm very tempted to go with a Macan, once it's been out for a while longer and reports on reliability are in. As for styling, I don't buy cars primarily for others to look at. Sure, it looks like the car that Barbie would drive if she ever went out in the rain, but I wouldn't order one in Pepto-Bismol.
For me, driver position is #1, handling #2 and agility #3. The specs look good on this cousin of the Q5 - the S is not too dissimilar to the X1 35i - but specs never give the full picture. The lack of space is a small concern. It's very short.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #16
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
You might want to tell paradoxical3 that I think he forgot

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971464

It can be whatever you want it to be its just a matter of what you do with it, but such is true with any car. It can be just a grocery getter, but it can be whatever you want it to be. A vehicle is simply a reflection of the person driving it. Thats what I love about all BMW's is the transformation. Yeah the x1 as a platform is not the quickest, the lightest, or the best for track day but much can be done to make if fill that role. This is true with any car I suppose. But to say that any BMW is "Just a grocery getter." is wrong. I test drove a i3 before and even that thing will surprise you. BMW doesn't create luxury vehicles, they produce sport vehicles.

Well now that I've gone off ranting, ill bring it back. On the Macan again, as far as styling goes I should emphasize you really should see it in person. Its a beauty as far as smaller SUV's go. If I could afford that I absolutely would go with it. Looks great, high stance, handles VERY well, and its fast! You absolutely get exactly what you pay for. Also remember visiting a dealership and test driving is 100% free. Another vehicle to consider in this catagory is the Audi Q5 or SQ5. My dad has a Q5 and absolutely loves it. Its had a share of issues but not enough to take away something from the experience of the vehicle. If your local (NH,MA) I can point you in the direction of a good dealership and get you a good sales person too.

Edit:
Quote:
I did not forget the Macan's price. My point is that it is senseless to compare a Macan in any guise to the upcoming F48 X1. it's common knowledge that you pay-to-play when it comes to any Porsche. only the current E84 X1 in xdrive35i Msport trim better compares with a stock Macan S in terms of 0-60 and quarter mile. now interior quality, ride comfort, NVH and appearance is another story.
Also I see what your saying, just wanted to make sure because not everyone understands the kind of money that goes into a premium vehicle like that

Last edited by PleaseAdvise; 03-20-2015 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Forgot to acknowledge 0 to 60's point!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #17
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Even my grocery's get there in style.
Don't be fooled.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #18
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
Paradoxical3 - His X1 is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Not a grocery getter like the new F48 FWD will be. Maybe BMW will give us a performance oriented X2 in the near future. Another potential niche?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #19
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Paradoxical3 - His X1 is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Not a grocery getter like the new F48 FWD will be. Maybe BMW will give us a performance oriented X2 in the near future. Another potential niche?
No one said a grocery getter couldn't be fast. Still the same car, just a very, very fast one...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #20
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
No one said a grocery getter couldn't be fast. Still the same car, just a very, very fast one...
True...I just don't equate F48 FWD with high performance unlike RWD and rear biased AWD which has been BMWs focus for so long. In any event the new one is not for me....but there's many other vehicles in BMW's stable. And yes grocery getters can be fast....remember the R class Mercedes AMG?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #21
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Will not be an owner of the F48. It's based on a Mini and Mini's have terrible quality issues. Worst than Dodge.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0