Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #23
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
I'm skeptical that the turboed engine would run well on regular....
Moon
It runs very well - 6,000 miles so far. Responsive, efficient. Mixed highway/city driving. Averaging 26 MPG. Worry less, drive more!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #24
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

You're pitting the cylinders.

BMW does not recommend 91 and say 89 minimum just to lie to you and trick you.
And they don't do it because they're ignorant about the engine they designed.

Stop thinking you're being smart here. You're not.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #25
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
You're pitting the cylinders.

BMW does not recommend 91 and say 89 minimum just to lie to you and trick you.
And they don't do it because they're ignorant about the engine they designed.

Stop thinking you're being smart here. You're not.
Well I guess I'm also wearing out the tires, brakes too. And the leather seats. Based on my experience with my beloved Saab (german engine) and all the trouble-free miles it gave me, I must stand by my opinion. I think many gas stations mix up the fuels anyways. I don't trust them or the refiners. I'm not being smart, I'm being practical.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #26
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

If the engine retards spark to compensate, I see less mpg which makes false economy.

I paid up to $9.33/gallon in Germany during Euro delivery, and never thought about it not being a good deal.

Also, wasted gas following cars at 120 mph, and worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #27
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominavl View Post
I'm not being smart, I'm being practical.
If you wanted to be practical, you bought the wrong vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #28
B.o.b
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

I tried all 87 89 and 90+. Could not tell the difference in performance or mileage. I believe if it does not ping it is doing no harm.

I generally buy 89 since it is the min in the manual ... But I doubt it makes a difference. I wish I could buy ethanol free - I think that does matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #29
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
If you wanted to be practical, you bought the wrong vehicle.
I totally disagree with you on that! The X1 fulfills a bunch of needs that other BMW models could never do! Sure, I could have saved a bunch of $$$ and bought a Subaru, or a mini Countryman All4, but I prefer the tight, sound quality of a german machine. And the 328i X Drive Sports Wagon is just an ugly station wagon with the same engine for $10K more then the X1. I just disagree with the fuel issues. Gas is gas is gas. And computers make sure that is the case.

We're all into the car for different reasons. Being the fastest is NOT my reason for buying the X1. Versatility is my goal, and I achieved it with style!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #30
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
This is what I use, and you can feel the difference.
Remember the knock sensors are there to protect the engine not to save a few pennies.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 12:41 AM   #31
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominavl View Post
Gas is gas is gas. And computers make sure that is the case.
I do get what you are saying, but unfortunately this is simply not true. Some of these guys are overreacting - you're not going to grenade your engine right away. But as I well know from tuning and logging these engines, you can't actually feel or hear slight pinging in them. In my logs, if I run octane that is too low, you can visibly see the timing pulled - not good.

You can choose not to believe it if you'd like, but with these high strung engines, if you run 87 octane and get into the throttle, you run the risk of damaging your engine. If you don't believe me, buy a JB4, hook it up to your engine sensors, and log it for yourself. I certainly have.

Also, you're lying to yourself that gas stations "mix it up." In addition to the firsthand proof that thosuands of us have seen from logging (we have timing pull with 87, less with 91, and none with 93), gas stations face auditing, fines, and lawsuits if they really mixed it up as you suggest.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #32
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

I've been using 89 for a while and now you've got me going back to 93.

Damn you people!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 01:33 AM   #33
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by popopine View Post
I've been using 89 for a while and now you've got me going back to 93.

Damn you people!!!
89 May be fine depending on your engine. It should say in your manual and gas cap area.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #34
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterPhil View Post
For everyday driving, do you use regular or premium gas? I use regular because premium is about 50 cents more in NYC. What do you use?
i would never run anything less than 93 octane. and at the very least 89 which the owners manual recommends at minimum which i have never put in my orange beauty. recently i have put 93 octane ethanol free gas in my car cause im trying to see how much better gas mileage my car will get. im going to put one more tank in today. but so far i have gotten an extra 40 or 50 miles out of my tank. but this is a great car and im going to take care of it. if your going to buy a bmw dont try to save money.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #35
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I do get what you are saying, but unfortunately this is simply not true. Some of these guys are overreacting - you're not going to grenade your engine right away. But as I well know from tuning and logging these engines, you can't actually feel or hear slight pinging in them. In my logs, if I run octane that is too low, you can visibly see the timing pulled - not good.

You can choose not to believe it if you'd like, but with these high strung engines, if you run 87 octane and get into the throttle, you run the risk of damaging your engine. If you don't believe me, buy a JB4, hook it up to your engine sensors, and log it for yourself. I certainly have.

Also, you're lying to yourself that gas stations "mix it up." In addition to the firsthand proof that thosuands of us have seen from logging (we have timing pull with 87, less with 91, and none with 93), gas stations face auditing, fines, and lawsuits if they really mixed it up as you suggest.
Thank you for the first reasonable justification for using premium fuel. I still don't trust the oil companies, but I think I may start upgrading my fuel grade and see if I can find a happy medium. I will not be doing it for performance, but out of respect for the engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #36
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterPhil View Post
For everyday driving, do you use regular or premium gas? I use regular because premium is about 50 cents more in NYC. What do you use?
Come up here to Toronto where we pay approx 65 cents more (per equivalent 3.8 liter U.S. gal) for 91 octane, then you'll feel better about your 50 cents per gal premium..
      03-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #37
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Even the filler neck is marked as '89 minimum'.
I may get brave and try a tank, just to see what happens.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #38
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I put top notch Shell gas in every car I own. For my X1 it says even on the gas door "Unleaded premium Gasoline ONLY - minimum 91". I put only the high grade from Shell because I have seen how the good gasoline can really help in maintaining engine's health and shape.
I know what the wrong gasoline means, I would not cheap on litle things and destroy my car.
You are really really far from being practical; smart is out of the question. A practical person will look at the affordability point too when buying a car.
Turbo's run well on premium, the manufacturer did not suggest, it clearly stipulate (even on the fuel door) that this octane MUST be used. Thats why it says ONLY !
The internal health of your engine and the longevity will be shorter on 87 than 91, and your engine is already at risk, no engine management system can prevent all pre-detonation. Higher octane fuels are harder to detonate, so there is less risk it will explode before the piston is at the proper point in the stroke.
Obviously, you bought the wrong vehicle, you should buy something cheaper if few bucks are your concern. That's why you should do your homework before you buy a car.
Bottom line, you save few cents in here, but you will end up paying thousands later. Bad thinking.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #39
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i SE

Having followed this thread, I'm curious! I'm in the UK and it doesn't state anything about premium fuel for my X1 even in the fuel flap (just states diesel only)? I picked my new X1 up around 3 weeks ago.

Any ideas why?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #40
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrjy View Post
Having followed this thread, I'm curious! I'm in the UK and it doesn't state anything about premium fuel for my X1 even in the fuel flap (just states diesel only)? I picked my new X1 up around 3 weeks ago.

Any ideas why?
Premium refers to higher octane levels. Diesel doesn't have an octane rating like unleaded gas does.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #41
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i SE

Quote:
Premium refers to higher octane levels. Diesel doesn't have an octane rating like unleaded gas does.
Ah ha! Shows my naivety, thanks at least that's stopped me worrying about what fuel I should be using.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #42
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Actually diesel does have an octane rating. However, it is not a measurement that means much for compression-ignition (diesel) engines. For those engines the cetane number is more important as it is a measurement of the combustibility. Whereas octane is a measure of compressibility before ignition. For a gasoline engine both air and fuel are compressed. In a diesel engine the fuel is not compressed only the air. The diesel octane rating is in the 15-25 range.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #43
FFEMT510
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Premium. If I couldn't afford the difference, I wouldn't have bought the vehicle that requires it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 10:18 PM   #44
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmDoubleV View Post
Actually diesel does have an octane rating. However, it is not a measurement that means much for compression-ignition (diesel) engines. For those engines the cetane number is more important as it is a measurement of the combustibility. Whereas octane is a measure of compressibility before ignition. For a gasoline engine both air and fuel are compressed. In a diesel engine the fuel is not compressed only the air. The diesel octane rating is in the 15-25 range.
I said "like unleaded gas" not that diesel had no rating at all. Meaning, that poster can put in plain o'l diesel as required and they are fine.
Appreciate 0