XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

08-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Carbon fiber trim for x1

Does anyone know where I can get A Carbon fiber kit to replace my wood trim? I like the glossy type that BMW has. I called BMW but you cant get it here in the states...?

Anyone have pics of the interior of a x1 with carbon trim...

I have googles all day no luck. Yes I know you can do it yourself but a kit would be much better...?
      09-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Try the interior pic master post under photo section. Scroll down, jason posted a pic with AFTER watermark. It is a singapore company, not cheap though. U can search for robson design. They ship worldwide.
      07-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
texasrebel05
Rep
Drives: Black X1 Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAMERBOI View Post
Does anyone know where I can get A Carbon fiber kit to replace my wood trim? I like the glossy type that BMW has. I called BMW but you cant get it here in the states...?

Anyone have pics of the interior of a x1 with carbon trim...

I have googles all day no luck. Yes I know you can do it yourself but a kit would be much better...?
Anyone have any ideas on how to replace the factory black wood trim with aluminum? My car is jet black with a black interior, and I would like the aluminum for some contrast. Any ideas or thoughts are welcomed and appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ocarbon is cheaper and has very good quality from what I've seen. I really want to do this but it's so expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
texasrebel05
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Ocarbon is cheaper and has very good quality from what I've seen. I really want to do this but it's so expensive.
Looks like they only offer them for the 3 series. Any ideas on where to find Aluminum trim kits for the X1?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Search "e90 interior trim vinyl". 3M 1080 vinyl is incredibly real when installed. The aluminum looks and feels like aluminum, except its not "cold" to the touch. The carbon looks and feels real as well.

Best part is that it's not terribly difficult to do and all you need is a $25 heat gun and about $60 5x3 sheet of the vinyl you want.

I'm going to do my 335d in aluminum, then my wife's X1.

The glossy black will always be there, protected under the aluminum, in case we change our minds.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
texasrebel05
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinla335d View Post
Search "e90 interior trim vinyl". 3M 1080 vinyl is incredibly real when installed. The aluminum looks and feels like aluminum, except its not "cold" to the touch. The carbon looks and feels real as well.

Best part is that it's not terribly difficult to do and all you need is a $25 heat gun and about $60 5x3 sheet of the vinyl you want.

I'm going to do my 335d in aluminum, then my wife's X1.

The glossy black will always be there, protected under the aluminum, in case we change our minds.
Can you post some after pictures once you are doing with the change? I'm curious to see what it looks like before I pull the trigger and try it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Jon@NL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

The 3m carbon doesn't look real at all, unfortunately. This is because it lacks a clear coat like real carbon has.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
texasrebel05
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@noLimits View Post
The 3m carbon doesn't look real at all, unfortunately. This is because it lacks a clear coat like real carbon has.
So what material would you suggest to transform my black wood trim to the aluminum look?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I know this is bumping an old thread but I'm a new X1 owner and I've had experience with OCarbon. I had them make silver CF trim for my 135i. It took a few months to get the trim completed but it looks great and I'm very happy. If you send them the trim they can do pretty much any car.

Personally, I'm going to wrap my wife's X1 trim with vinyl (not CF, probably brushed silver metal). But if you want real CF, OCarbon is a good company to deal with.
      09-02-2015, 06:45 AM   #11
GrantE83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@NL View Post
You can get matte carbon.

It's just a layer of lacquer
Appreciate 0