08-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i

North American E84 rear fog light activation

Hi Everyone,

After reading an excellent and well documented post last night about how to do this mod on an E92 M3 (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531296) I thought I would give it a go on my E84 X1, as there clearly is a set of fog lamps in the rear tailgate.

European X1's come with rear fog lamps, and a button to activate them located immediately below the front fog lamp button in the lighting cluster to the left of the steering wheel (on left-hand drive cars). They also come with a "Dynamic Brake Lights" feature which flashes the brake lights under heavy braking.

In North America, we don't have rear fog lights, but these same lamps are used in the "Brake Force Display" feature. These "inner brake lamps" are activated in addition to the regular brake lamps under heavy braking (North American X1 Owner's manual p.82).

So... can these "inner brake lamps" still be used as fog lamps? Yes they can.

Note: This modification does not require you to purchase or manufacture any parts. Everything you require already comes with the car. The fog lamp button is present, and just needs to be enabled. And the fog lamp light is already present in your gauge cluster.

I'm not going to walk you though every detailed step, as this has already been done numerous times online. The procedure is the same as the one mentioned above, with a couple of exceptions, which I will address below.

1. You must first remove the vent housing located above the lighting button cluster. I accomplished this using my finger tips and a pair of small needle-nosed pliers to grab a hidden part of the assembly. A trim tool would have made this an easier task.

Name:  IMG_0310.JPG
Views: 9099
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0312.JPG
Views: 9083
Size:  42.4 KB

The vent housing uses metal spring retainers on three sides (top, left, bottom) and pops out nicely under gentle pressure. Be very careful not to accidentally remove the visible outer trim piece from the vent housing, as this also serves to retain the 5 louvred vent blades. Reinstalling these blades and the tiny metal strip that connects them together could be very finicky and is guaranteed to be a huge hassle.

Name:  IMG_0313.JPG
Views: 8907
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0315.JPG
Views: 8844
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0316.JPG
Views: 8911
Size:  40.9 KB

2. Once the vent housing is removed, reach inside and downwards and locate the 4 plastic retaining clips (2 on the upper side and 2 on the lower side) that hold the lighting button assembly in place. Gently pressing these clips against the body of the assembly will cause it to release. Pull the button assembly inwards towards the front of the car, and then it can be passed through the open vent area.

Name:  IMG_0324.JPG
Views: 8871
Size:  41.6 KB

3. The lighting button assembly is attached by the same electrical connector described in the other thread. Use the same procedure to disconnect it.

Name:  IMG_0326.JPG
Views: 9090
Size:  41.2 KB

4. Use the same procedure to open the lighting button assembly, release the fog lamp button and trim off the plastic tabs.

Name:  IMG_0331.JPG
Views: 8916
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0336.JPG
Views: 8783
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0337.JPG
Views: 8973
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0339.JPG
Views: 8846
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0342.JPG
Views: 8796
Size:  49.8 KB

5. Perform the same steps in reverse to reassemble everything.

6. Check your work:

Name:  IMG_0351.JPG
Views: 8824
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0352.JPG
Views: 8670
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0356.JPG
Views: 8561
Size:  36.9 KB

7. Enjoy!

This modification took me approximately 45 minutes, but would have been much shorter without having to reassemble the vent louvres, I mean, if I had made that mistake.

IMPORTANT: Check your local laws concerning the use of the rear fog lights. Please use this feature responsibly. Do not abuse it or blind other drivers with it.
DISCLAIMER: Use this DIY procedure at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damage to your car.

Last edited by iwantanx; 08-07-2011 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

LOL. Hats off to you , sir. Well done you! Might try it. Thanks.
      08-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Are rear fog lamps illegal in Canada? Why?
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

Yeah Baby@@ This is mod i'm looking for.

Can the moderator ** Sticky" this post??

Great work iwantanX
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Are rear fog lamps illegal in Canada? Why?
Rear fog lights are perfectly legal in Canada as far as I know, but uncommon enough that they can cause confusion when used. Drivers following a car with its rear fogs on tend to think that you are driving with your brake lights on. We really only see them on European-spec cars, and even then, you rarely see them in use.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantanx View Post
Rear fog lights are perfectly legal in Canada as far as I know, but uncommon enough that they can cause confusion when used. Drivers following a car with its rear fogs on tend to think that you are driving with your brake lights on. We really only see them on European-spec cars, and even then, you rarely see them in use.
Thanks for the heads up, just curious. We rarely use them here either although they come into their own in the mountains with fog. Makes life a lot easier, and safer, if the bloke in front of you has his on. Most forget though
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #7
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

Interesting thing... I wonder if you can enable HDC and automatic driving lights control using the same button-knob modifications. However, I'd prefer electronic break locking on my 18i, heck I need that badly.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive23d

Fog lights. Excellent when used in the fog.

For some reason in Australia people feel the need to use them when it gets dark. Or rains. Or just because they own a Hyundai Excel and don't seem to know what the switches are for.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

bacchaebabe, trust me, EVERY BMW late-model driver in my hemisphere puts on fogs at night - even in summer - it's some sort of prestige thing! I haven't caught on yet!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
bacchaebabe, trust me, EVERY BMW late-model driver in my hemisphere puts on fogs at night - even in summer - it's some sort of prestige thing! I haven't caught on yet!
LOL. I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #11
jackinbc
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

Thanks to you and BimmerM for those instructions on making the rear fog lights operable - took me about 1/2 hour and worked like a charm! I did start to pull off the vent bezel which, as you predicted screws up the louvers - but in so doing realized that the vent assembly does not have to come out. There is a panel - visible when the door is open (and shows up in your first picture to the left of the vent and light switch assemblies) - just gently pull it out - there is a tab that fits under the vent louver, that will expose the dashboard insides and the light switch can be easily reached and removed through that cover. Worked for me! Thanks again - great tips and easy to follow directions. Jack
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

Do we get two fog lights in the UK? I've never actually stood behind with the lights on, however most other cars I've had have had only one at the rear. I must have a look.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #13
dinamo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1 xDrive28i

I did see a new Volvo (I think it was S40) with rear fog light on,here in Calgary.
I don't get it,why do they block this button for NA though ?

Last edited by dinamo; 09-09-2011 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
x1-2012
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i

Wow!, thank you 'iwantanx', I followed the step by step instructions and now the rear fog light works on demand. That is a nice extra security feature that I use only out of the city.

Please do not hesitate to share other mod's !
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Just finished! Took only a few mins. Thanks!
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
AFDnic
Space grey X1
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2012

Awsome ! took me 10 min thanks !!
      09-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Done!

Getting that silly button out was the most difficult part, you need 3 hands!

And coming in the side rather than the vent worked like a charm
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
X3 for sale
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Jack, are you referring to the entire "triangular" panel that tucks behind the weather stripping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinbc View Post
Thanks to you and BimmerM for those instructions on making the rear fog lights operable - took me about 1/2 hour and worked like a charm! I did start to pull off the vent bezel which, as you predicted screws up the louvers - but in so doing realized that the vent assembly does not have to come out. There is a panel - visible when the door is open (and shows up in your first picture to the left of the vent and light switch assemblies) - just gently pull it out - there is a tab that fits under the vent louver, that will expose the dashboard insides and the light switch can be easily reached and removed through that cover. Worked for me! Thanks again - great tips and easy to follow directions. Jack
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep

The alternative option to the "through-the-vent" route does indeed involve the roughly triangular panel that has a circular indention in the center of it.

Once you remove it you can see the back of the light switch module and removal is as simple as feeling for the clips, gently depressing them and easing the assembly out.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
X3 for sale
United_States
Rep

Any tips on how to remove the triangular piece? Do you pry the weather stripping or do you try to remove it from the side closer to the vent/front of the dash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpistemicConfusion View Post
The alternative option to the "through-the-vent" route does indeed involve the roughly triangular panel that has a circular indention in the center of it.

Once you remove it you can see the back of the light switch module and removal is as simple as feeling for the clips, gently depressing them and easing the assembly out.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround View Post
Any tips on how to remove the triangular piece? Do you pry the weather stripping or do you try to remove it from the side closer to the vent/front of the dash?
I used a trim removal tool that came with a cell phone speaker I bought once. In the past I've successfully used a plastic butter knife.

And enter from the exposed side, not the trim side.

I've attached a picture with little red lines indicating roughly where the clips are. They're fairly robust, but do pry gently.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #22
X3 for sale
United_States
Rep

Thank you - I'll give it a shot tonight.

BTW: would you know about how many clips there are (6 based on the number of red lines you drew)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpistemicConfusion View Post
I used a trim removal tool that came with a cell phone speaker I bought once. In the past I've successfully used a plastic butter knife.

And enter from the exposed side, not the trim side.

I've attached a picture with little red lines indicating roughly where the clips are. They're fairly robust, but do pry gently.

Last edited by X3 for sale; 10-01-2013 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0