XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

View Poll Results: What You Recommend?
Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Position (Utra High Performance All-Season) 4 9.76%
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (Utra High Performance All-Season) 21 51.22%
Michelin Primacy MXM4 Grand Touring All Season 5 12.20%
Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season (Utra High Performance All-Season) 3 7.32%
Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S All Season (Utra High Performance All-Season) 1 2.44%
Continental Xtreme Contact DSW06 (Ultra High Performance All-Season) 7 17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

03-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

I've had MXV4's on my crossover that the X1 is replacing for about 5 years. I had 3 sets of various tires that were garbage IMO prior to the MXV4 (Conti Extremes is the only one I remember for sure). I find the snow traction to be extremely good on them until 70% of the tread is used then you have to be more careful on ice/snow in mountains. On my X1 I plan to get a second set of tires/wheels and run summer performance and dedicated winter tires but if you're looking for a single set all year I'm a fan of the MXV4's as they've been good to me. No opinions on the others, they could be good as well. I also plan to go non runflat as well -- I don't feel I will be driving at speeds (post ED) that blowouts would cause a wreck and I feel that's the only big advantage to them.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
My experience with AS tires is that they all suck in the winter, especially when temps drop below -15C. I would say though, that both the Bridgestone and Michelin are a good tire. Just don't be surprised if you get stuck in a couple inches of snow in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #25
rupee
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

Tracus, I am from King City, just north of Toronto, are you interested in selling your 318 wheels?

let me know.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #26
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
My experience with AS tires is that they all suck in the winter, especially when temps drop below -15C. I would say though, that both the Bridgestone and Michelin are a good tire. Just don't be surprised if you get stuck in a couple inches of snow in the winter.
Yikes! -15?? I think I'd just stay home til Spring. How you guys can stand that cold is beyond me.
FWIW, I've had good luck in snow up to 4" deep as long a slow steady speed is maintained.
But at -15 I'd think that snow turns to ICE...and 4" of ICE is bad with most any tire. Glad I don't have to deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #27
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
I've had MXV4's on my crossover that the X1 is replacing for about 5 years. I had 3 sets of various tires that were garbage IMO prior to the MXV4 (Conti Extremes is the only one I remember for sure). I find the snow traction to be extremely good on them until 70% of the tread is used then you have to be more careful on ice/snow in mountains. On my X1 I plan to get a second set of tires/wheels and run summer performance and dedicated winter tires but if you're looking for a single set all year I'm a fan of the MXV4's as they've been good to me. No opinions on the others, they could be good as well. I also plan to go non runflat as well -- I don't feel I will be driving at speeds (post ED) that blowouts would cause a wreck and I feel that's the only big advantage to them.
As I have mentioned before, I had MXV4 on my AWD Jaguar. The tires were excellent. I am living on a hill, we have lots of snow and I never got stucked.

The problem is, MXV4 do not come in 225/45/18. If they will make them, I will buy them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #28
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
Yikes! -15?? I think I'd just stay home til Spring. How you guys can stand that cold is beyond me.
FWIW, I've had good luck in snow up to 4" deep as long a slow steady speed is maintained.
But at -15 I'd think that snow turns to ICE...and 4" of ICE is bad with most any tire. Glad I don't have to deal with it.
We get sometimes -45Celsius man, -15 is already spring. So I need some good tiresIf the winter will be only -15 I will get a Cabrio.
Just kidding.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #29
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupee View Post
Tracus, I am from King City, just north of Toronto, are you interested in selling your 318 wheels?

let me know.

Cheers
Yap, in two weeks I am receiving the new wheels, so if you need them they are for sale. I like my garage empty and clean. However, if they sale ok, if not I am gonna sell the car with them and keep my M's for my next X1.
If you are interested feel free to make me an offer. Attached you will find a picture with the car with the 318 original wheels.
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-01-2013 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #30
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I just put 1,100 miles on the Conti DWS's over the holiday, and I have to say that with the exception of even lower mpg's (hard to believe it could get worse!), I'm quite satisfied with my choice. The ride is not only improved over the 18" Goodyear runflats, but the tires are actually smoother than the 17" conventional winter tires I just removed. But the real surprise is the change in steering feel. Although the same size as the Goodyears, low speed steering effort is noticeably reduced, yet the feel at speed remains old-school BMW wonderful. If the factory Pirelli all-seasons have a similar feel to the DWS's, I can finally understand why some owners find the steering too heavy and others do not.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #31
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i

I haven't replaced my stock 225/50/R17 Goodyear Eagle LS2's for non-RFTs yet, as they still have quite a bit of life in them, but I will once they die. Right now I use them for 3 seasons, then swap them for a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi on separate rims for the winter months. In fact I just switched them back this weekend.

Once I need to replace them, I'll be getting a set of Nokian WRG2 for year-round use. The Finns know winter.

I had a set of Nokian WR's for 7 years on my previous vehicle - they were very long-lasting - and my sister runs WRG2's on her Audi. They are great tires, and I will have no hesitation to put a set on my X1.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #32
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantanx View Post
I haven't replaced my stock 225/50/R17 Goodyear Eagle LS2's for non-RFTs yet, as they still have quite a bit of life in them, but I will once they die. Right now I use them for 3 seasons, then swap them for a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi on separate rims for the winter months. In fact I just switched them back this weekend.

Once I need to replace them, I'll be getting a set of Nokian WRG2 for year-round use. The Finns know winter.

I had a set of Nokian WR's for 7 years on my previous vehicle - they were very long-lasting - and my sister runs WRG2's on her Audi. They are great tires, and I will have no hesitation to put a set on my X1.
I would consider them seriously, but I have bad news for you: they don't make them for X1.
They don't offer them in 225/50/17 (my setting and yours now), nor in my new setting 225/45/18.
So I guess you will soon go trough the same problem as I am now.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #33
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Weird,

Nokian website says they don't offer these dimenssions, the tirestore says they do...
I guess I must pay them a visit...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #34
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Weird,

Nokian website says they don't offer these dimenssions, the tirestore says they do...
I guess I must pay them a visit...
It says here that they do have them in our size (even in RFT!):
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian+WRG2

Interesting...there's a new WRG3 model that just became available:
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian+WRG3

I wonder what the reviews will say about this new model?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #35
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

It seems that my M wheels are on their way so I need to be ready to order the tires.

From this entire forum only 6-7 people switched to NON Run Flats?
Only few in here are using all-season on their cars? Really?

C'mon guys, I need your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #36
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
It seems that my M wheels are on their way so I need to be ready to order the tires.

From this entire forum only 6-7 people switched to NON Run Flats?
Only few in here are using all-season on their cars? Really?

C'mon guys, I need your input.
All season tires are just such a compromise, we had the Michelin A/S Plus on our 135i and they did not have nearly the same traction as the stock RE-050a tires. They rode a thousand times better and wore much better, but they were only fair in light snow and would not have been acceptable in ice or deeper snow (but even with full snows, the 135i wouldn't have been a great ice car any how).

Why not consider a good set of summer tires and switching to snows if you need them for winter?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #37
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post

Why not consider a good set of summer tires and switching to snows if you need them for winter?
Because;
- the tires are too big, I can't fit four in the trunk only (however, it will damage the trunk cardboard too)
- if I need to put two inside the car, they will destroy literally the leather. I don't even know if they fit, because they are big.
- if I protect the backseat with a blanket, their weight will "sink" the backseat, and the dealer do not replace the wheels right away, sometimes you drop the car in the morning, and they will install them at 5 o'clock
- more hassle for me, plus the wheels are very heavy
- the other wheels require space in the garage. Yes, the dealer can stock them for me for $350 a year, so no thank you plus I don't trust them
- the more time the car sees the dealership the more prone is too damage ( a scratch, a ding, a wheel damage, greasy fingerprints on my car)
- the tire change is done usualy by the unexperienced young tech fellow who is not considerate.

My Jaguar was in white leather, every time I drop it for a problem, always they manage to put oily fingerprints on the car or on my seats. In that moment I decided for all-season. Got the MXV4 for four years, never been more happy.

I have called Tirerack, they suggested the Continental. But from what I see the Pilot AS and MXM4 are better in cornering and all around experience. Due to the pattern, the Continentals are better in snow, but not that much.

I have the MXM4 as OEM tire on my Accord Coupe. They are very nice and quiet but do not exceed in snow...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #38
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

I agree with Red Bread - different tires for different use works better.

In the long run, it doesn't cost more either, as winter tires are made to last longer in low temperatures, while summer tires are made to last longer in hot temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #39
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Wait, you can get four tires in the X1, probably without folding the rear seats (which are covered in black) down. I got four larger tires in my M Coupe consistently. Just mount some long hooks on your wall and mount your spare tires/wheels up high.

Finally, do not do any of this at your dealer, use a reputable tire shop with a quality tire mounting machine, like a Hunter 9700 or similar.

You have a decent, fun car that was more expensive than many cheaper, more economical models, why skimp on tires now? No all season will be good in the snow, and once they're worn 30-50 they won't be worth much of anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #40
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
I agree with Red Bread - different tires for different use works better.

In the long run, it doesn't cost more either, as winter tires are made to last longer in low temperatures, while summer tires are made to last longer in hot temperatures.
Yes, I agree, an X1 with the proper tires is unbeatable. So is in the summer, when you can benefit from a nice performance,sporty and quiet tire.

Guys, it si not the cost. I am not cheap when it comes to my vehicles.
It is about the points I mentioned above.

Plus, I can't really. The experience proved to me that I do need an all-season. Many times I have replaced the tires in March April and got several days of heavy snow in May. Summer for June, July August Sept? Doesn't worth it. If you run the winters until June, they will melt.
I keep the wheels clean, in bags, etc. still, I hate the swap, the hassle. My back hates that too...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #41
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Having owned both the MXM4 and DWS (albeit on different vehicles), I would say either tire would be a good choice. Force me to choose for year-round duty, however, and I'd take the Contis without a doubt.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #42
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think your compromise will become whether you want the ability to actually deal with snow, which will greatly reduce the handling potential, or the ability to handle well, which will negate or greatly reduce the ability to deal with snow.

Our Michelins were passable in light snow, but you had to remember that you were driving a compromised car, leaving tons of room in front of you and certainly not trying anything even remotely aggressive. They were okay in dry traction in the warmer months, but squealed much sooner than real summer tires and would roast with the open rear diff of the 1er. They were a good, probably very good compromise tire, which it sounds like what you're looking for, that allowed me to keep my M Coupe on PSS's year round, knowing that we had a fall back car. But then we didn't live in the Great White North, but Texas.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #43
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Here in Calgary, most of us don't switch to summer tires until mid May, and switch back to winters some time nearing the end of October. I live in a very small condo with no garage and I still manage to find space for wheels for my truck plus my roomie's suv. Ever since I've started using winters, I find all season appauling in any condition. They're too much compromise. As far as getting tires in your beemer, it has far more room than more old T-bird, and I never had problems trucking tires around for 1 day. They won't ruin the cardboard, nor will they hurt the leather for just 1 day. Also, your BMW dealer should be very careful in how they treat your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #44
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Also, your BMW dealer should be very careful in how they treat your car.
This made me snicker. If it wasn't for "free" service, I'd likely never see the inside of any of our four nearby BMW dealers. But that's a different post...
Appreciate 0