XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Rear washer fluid problem.........

Since the temps have been 30 or below in New York it seems that the supply line to the rear washer is frozen and doesn't spray water on the rear window. The front washer spray works just fine. I'm using winter windshield wiper fluid. Anyone else experiencing this problem or know how to resolve this problem?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Mine has been working just fine, dumping a metric chit-ton of washer fluid in the upper right hand corner of the backlight which is then wiped across the rest of the glass.
Our car is stored in an above freezing garage, but it has given no trouble when left sit out for some considerable period of time.
If you have been using the -40 fluid, then there may be some other issue with your vehicle.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

I have had no problem with the washer fluid that the dealer supplies. I do not use anything except what they supply. When I had to supply my own it would constantly freeze up it the Lexus and Subarus.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

I've used the -40* stuff from WalFart about forever with no problems, and frankly the X1 uses a lot of washer fluid...which is a good thing.
For Don, your washer was working correctly prior to the deep freeze? Does it make any motor-noises when you push forward on the stalk?
Were you using the rear washer much? I'm wondering if the alcohol in the system back there has evaporated, allowing the remainder to freeze. Can you get it thawed out enough to get it working?
Moon
ETA- A buddy and I were reminiscing about the windshield washers in old VW Beetles; it was an uncommon feature back then, and the ones in a Bug were powered by the air in the spare tire.....and a gallon of fluid would last you about forever.
M
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Yarvis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 SDrive 30i

On page 51 of the 2013 owners manual, there is a warning to NOT USE the washer fluid in below freezing temps as it might freeze. It doesn't tell you it MIGHT and WILL freeze in your reservoir bottle and in the lines. I was without washer fluid for almost two days when we got our cold snap here on Friday. We had low temps around 5 degrees or so in the morning and when I left to go home we were at 16 degrees at 4pm. Today we had temps in the 40's and rain, It seemed to have helped thaw out my lines. I added some -30 degree de icer fluid and just kept flushing the old stuff out. I'm hoping this solves that problem, we'll see, we are expecting another cold snap the next few days.
      01-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
It's been -20C here for the past few days and my fluid comes out just fine. I use whatever garbage they sell at the gas stations as long as it's rated for -40C or below. Even the BMW stuff they filled my reservoir with never froze when it got down to -20C.

Once it warms up, check to make sure it's coming out the back. I suspect the hose may have wiggled loose, or the nozzle may have crud in it
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 04:22 AM   #7
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Started this post............

As soon as the temps went up to 27 yesterday in NY it started working again. The assumption is the hose that carries the fluid to the rear spray head must be positioned where it is exposed to the elements i.e, along the roof line! Does anyone know wherd it is positioned?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

Two things to bear in mind on this subject are that there is a long section of small diameter pipe supplying the rear washer and the front washer jets are heated.
Appreciate 0