Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

W/O Navigation

What is the expected X1 resale value? I am considering getting one without the navigation/technology package and instead, installing a custom GPS or Tablet Unit.

This option would price me at around 35K including taxes and destination factoring in leatherette, no front heating system, X-LINE, 18 INCH Wheels, Moon-Roof, and the rest being base features.

Are the available options including technology, driver's assist, etc. really worth the 5K jump?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapflapflap View Post
This option would price me at around 35K including taxes and destination factoring in leatherette, no front heating system, X-LINE, 18 INCH Wheels, Moon-Roof, and the rest being base features.

Are the available options including technology, driver's assist, etc. really worth the 5K jump?
I'm planning sorta of the opposite.
No premium/sport packages, (X-line, moonroof, comfort stuff).
But getting nav, HK stereo, Sat. Radio, Xenons.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
dinamo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Stone, Are you ordering 2013 X1 in US ?
      08-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamo View Post
Stone, Are you ordering 2013 X1 in US ?
From Canada, hopefully around December-ish. Unless I can sell my other car first. Its weird how options in Canada and US are slightly different.
I don't get why.

For example, if US buyer wants the sunroof, you just order one as an option, but up here you need to get it as part of the premium package. The opposite is true for power seats and memory, up here we can order, and US can only get it as part of their premium package.

I'm curious when Canada will switch their orders to 2013 models. Currently still at 2012 according to bmw.ca

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

My wife may be ordering one and she may be skipping the tech package. It will hurt resale some I suppose, but not more than the price of the package.

She's thinking of going with base model, metal paint, premium, lighting, paddles, servotronic, and add on heated seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

I am leaning towards the following:

1. xDrive28i
2. X-Line
3. White Metallic
4. Dark Copper High Glass Trim
5. Premium Package
6. Servotronic
7. Heated Front Seats
8. Chrome Line Exterior (maybe)
9. Aluminum Roof Rail (maybe)
10. Lighting Package

BMW's navigation system is inferior compared to other luxury cars. My dealer told me straight up that it lacks, and that Lexus, Acura have the best hands down. This doesn't help with resale value since the technology will be obsolete after 1 year.

Furthermore, the tech package with driver's assist doesn't have top view, which I find very useful (I have the X5, and the top view is great).

Lastly, the great thing about the X1 is that there is a little cubby if you don't get navigation. I'm going to buy a multi-function navigation tablet and custom fit it into the cubby (300 + 250 in labor and materials) so that I can take it out, charge it at home and place it back in seamlessly.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Furthermore, the tech package with driver's assist doesn't have top view, which I find very useful (I have the X5, and the top view is great).

Lastly, the great thing about the X1 is that there is a little cubby if you don't get navigation. I'm going to buy a multi-function navigation tablet and custom fit it into the cubby (300 + 250 in labor and materials) so that I can take it out, charge it at home and place it back in seamlessly.
You make a good point, and the nav add on is pricy. I will have to think about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

Quote:
I am leaning towards the following:

1. xDrive28i
2. X-Line
3. White Metallic
4. Dark Copper High Glass Trim
5. Premium Package
6. Servotronic
7. Heated Front Seats
8. Chrome Line Exterior (maybe)
9. Aluminum Roof Rail (maybe)
10. Lighting Package

BMW's navigation system is inferior compared to other luxury cars. My dealer told me straight up that it lacks, and that Lexus, Acura have the best hands down. This doesn't help with resale value since the technology will be obsolete after 1 year.

It's been nearly 3 years and only option I'm regretting not to have is the sat nav on my car. In my opinion, you should also take the alu roof rails from the maybe part and put it in the musts
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

wifes car:

1. 28ix
2. camera/nav
3. sport steering wheel
4. white, beige leatherette (nail polish easier to clean on leatherette)
5. list 36,700
6. trade in 10 volvo xc fwd
7. waiting for a M235i or M2 for me
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Just give your buyer a $5 map and say "here you go".

But seriously, the nav software probably gets outdated after a year. Plus, with everybody having nav on their phones, it's not true all a necessity. It never has been.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

True, a Nav system could easily be replaced by your phone or a garmin unit. But you actually are getting something more than just navigation. The iDrive is like an interface for the car's computer. I would highly recommend that you test drive an X1 with the technology package and ask the CA to review with you the functionality. I view it as a must have...

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Well I think Nav is a must! Nothing better than e/m your car locations and then getting in the car with all your locations already togo.......plus it does add to the looks of the dashboard. just my .02
      08-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #13
SUVLustMaster
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Appreciate all the comments and thoughts.

Here's an update:

Started the paperwork at a dealership today and will confirm options before the order goes through the production phase.

I may very well add the technology and driver assist option. I test drove an all wheel drive today, and I must admit how nimble and responsive the car is. The steering wheel is much smaller than an X5 and not as stiff. It'll be a very fun car to drive.
Appreciate 0