XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
netarc
Rep
Drives: Audi A3

CD ripping and xdrive Gas mileage

Been driving the x1 xdrive28 for about three weeks, 700 miles. A couple of quick questions...

1. Dealer had mentioned that stereo (standard head unit with nav, not the upgraded version) allows CDs to be stored, presumably to a HD in the car. Upon inserting the cd, I see the option to do this, but it's grayed out/disabled?

2. Been quite disappointed in the gas mileage so far. Driving sedately, we saw 27mpg driving from sf to Tahoe, about 32 on the return; not too bad. City driving, though, is nowhere near the est 24 (?) that is rated. In sf I've been seeing more in the 16-18 range ?!? wondering what others are seeing for nonhighway on the awd version?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
SwiftCloud
Swift Cloud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28i USA

I have about 1500 miles on mine. Seeing 16-18 in the city, but have been able to get 22-24 (in the city) if I use Eco Boost and take it REALLY easy.

The car seems capable of getting the stated MPG, but not the way I drive it...
      12-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarc View Post
Been driving the x1 xdrive28 for about three weeks, 700 miles. A couple of quick questions...

1. Dealer had mentioned that stereo (standard head unit with nav, not the upgraded version) allows CDs to be stored, presumably to a HD in the car. Upon inserting the cd, I see the option to do this, but it's grayed out/disabled?
This is not copying, but ripping to a lossy format at very low bit rate (128 kbps). You're far better off ripping the files on a PC and then importing them into iDrive over USB.
That said, it should work as long as you have enough free space - is this a regular store bought CD?

Quote:
2. Been quite disappointed in the gas mileage so far. Driving sedately, we saw 27mpg driving from sf to Tahoe, about 32 on the return; not too bad. City driving, though, is nowhere near the est 24 (?) that is rated. In sf I've been seeing more in the 16-18 range ?!? wondering what others are seeing for nonhighway on the awd version?
The first couple of thousand miles, pay little heed to the gas mileage. It will settle, usually well lower than what you saw on the new car. As for "city driving", that's so many things. Rush hour traffic is going to give you way less mileage than EPA's "typical" city mileage. Slow creeping traffic is the worst.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
netarc
Rep
Drives: Audi A3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
This is not copying, but ripping to a lossy format at very low bit rate (128 kbps). You're far better off ripping the files on a PC and then importing them into iDrive over USB.
That said, it should work as long as you have enough free space - is this a regular store bought CD?
Yes, store CD; plays fine on the CD player, but the import option is disabled. I have been using a USB drive to play media as well - but what do you mean, "import into iDrive," can music on a USB be stored on the iDrive system itself? I've not seen that option in the media interface?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Yes, store CD; plays fine on the CD player, but the import option is disabled. I have been using a USB drive to play media as well - but what do you mean, "import into iDrive," can music on a USB be stored on the iDrive system itself? I've not seen that option in the media interface?
Has to be from glove box USB port. See pg 177 of the owners manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Heading for 1,000 miles in our 28i xDrive MSport X1 and the mpg's for the last few weeks are identical to our X3 35i MSport with 13,00 miles driven @ 24.5. Both of us alternate between both X's on mostly highway miles. X3 does not have ASS or EcoPro (which we are using all the time on the X1).
Still early days for the X1, but thought the identical mpg figure would interest y'all.
Appreciate 0