XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-31-2010, 07:38 AM   #45
b-q
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper R56

Hi all!I owned a BMW 116i and now I am proud owner of a MINI Cooper R56 (non-S). I am really excited with my car. I like its style and performance.Looking forward to bying my second family car, I am between X1 and Countryman.
I think that I will finally choose X1, because the Countryman resembles so much to the hatch MINI, especially in the interior. But I will first wait BMW to put to X1 a small (1.6L or 1.8 L.) turbo petrol - engine (has anybody heard something about?).Btw I don't think that X1's interior has much more space or better quality than Countryman's.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #46
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Just for interest, the Mini Countryman configurator is now on the UK site. I specced a Cooper S and it came in at around £28k....ouch Some of the option prices are eyewatering. Like for like I would guess its about £3k-£4k cheaper than the X1.

Last edited by mario486; 09-03-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #47
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

X1 vs Countryman Size, No Contest

Just for interest I went to have a look at the new countryman today to make sure that I have made the right decision in going for the X1. Well I can tell you that if size is important its no contest. The X1 has a lot more usable space. Both the interior as well as the luggage area are a lot smaller in the Countryman. A few additional points:
- Its very quirky, has some nice features but the interior is "busy". Quite familiar if you are coming from a Mini but different to for eg a BMW.
- It only has 4 seats, the two back ones are nice though, individual seats very much like the front two. You can get a 3-seat rear bench but not in the Cooper S/4x4.
- Looks better in the metal than in pictures. Right colour/trim combination and it looks almost military/robust/beach like
- Build quality looks very good, typical BMW. Actually looks better than my Mini Cooper.
- That rail down the middle looks nice initially but it would irritate me after a while. I think it breaks the flow through the car and is a dumb idea.
- Drives nice enough (only had a short test) and the Cooper S has some good grunt BUT I think the 2.0d X1 feels more powerful. The Countryman feels a bit heavy and has more roll around the corners. Its not at all like the normal Mini Cooper S.
- The rear luggage compartment has a funny shaped opening that may make things more difficult to load.

Anyway those are just my observations. Having now seen and driven both I am certain that I have made the right decision in going for the X1. I don't think that the two vehicles are in direct competition with each other, not for me anyway. The Countryman is nice and I really like it but its more a replacement for my Mini. Wonder what deal I would get for a trade in
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #48
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
So the X1 is for people who want a small SUV AND an interior built for humans... BRILLIANT!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #49
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

By comparison, the Mini interior makes the BMW interior look cheap.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #50
KTS1010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I love the exterior look of MINI's but the interior is just revolting and makes me sick. I can't wait to see the size of the X1 because it is looking really small in the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #51
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Hmmm, not sure what part you don't like on the Mini, but look at those bucket seats, front and rear by comparison, they look fantastic. If the X1 comes to the states with speed-cloth, then that will be a different story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTS1010 View Post
I love the exterior look of MINI's but the interior is just revolting and makes me sick. I can't wait to see the size of the X1 because it is looking really small in the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #52
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
By comparison, the Mini interior makes the BMW interior look cheap.
I have both and the Mini's interior is slightly better quality. Very different designs but the materials used in the Mini are are simply better.

Paint job and shut lines on my X1 are better than the Mini.

But again, they are very different cars. I enjoy each for what it is.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #53
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTS1010 View Post
Each one to his own I suppose. The interior is hugely configurable and can be bright or restrained or sporty etc etc. I like it as it has the look and feel somewhat of the original, albeit a lot more luxurious.

To get an idea of the size of the X1 have a look at a 3-series estate, they are almost identical except that the X1 is taller.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #54
NOH8
Registered
Rep
Drives: Scion xB

Ground clearance

Anxiously awaiting both the Mini Countryman and BMW x1 in the USA.

Does anyone know the ground clearance of each? My BMW-Mini dealer couldn't even locate that for me today! Odd, since the vehicles are in production and on the road on this planet!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #55
dimitris33
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

About 20cm for X1, 15cm for Countryman Cooper, 16cm for Countryman cooper S All4.

Thats what my dealer told me and what I have read on the google search.

The X1 have bigger ground clearance for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #56
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Hmm, here in South Africa the Mini Countryman Cooper S 2wd is slightly cheaper than the X1 sDrive18i I'm ordering. It does have 25kW more though which is nice.

But the X1 just seems a bit more spacious and classier in the long run. I'll stick with the X!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #57
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOH8 View Post
Anxiously awaiting both the Mini Countryman and BMW x1 in the USA.

Does anyone know the ground clearance of each? My BMW-Mini dealer couldn't even locate that for me today! Odd, since the vehicles are in production and on the road on this planet!
I accidentally "friended" a dealership in IL (I think), named Classic BMW. I thought they were the Classic BMW in Dallas that I bought my car from, but they are not...

Anyhow, they posted on FB that they received their first ALL4 Countryman yesterday. Google them and give them a call, they can probably run outside and measure the ground clearance for you...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #58
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
I accidentally "friended" a dealership in IL (I think), named Classic BMW. I thought they were the Classic BMW in Dallas that I bought my car from, but they are not...

Anyhow, they posted on FB that they received their first ALL4 Countryman yesterday. Google them and give them a call, they can probably run outside and measure the ground clearance for you...
The figures dimitris33 gives above are pretty much what I have as well, in imperial 7.6 inches for the x1 and 6.3 inches for the Countryman All4.

What I don't have are the approach and depart angles for either but suspect that the All4 is much better. The x1 has quite an overhang in front.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 05:02 AM   #59
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

I saw X1 and it really looked small. Almost like 3 series wagons.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #60
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taYab View Post

Urm, yes

I have said this a number of times on this forum. It is pretty much exactly the same size as a 3-series estate on which it is based, except taller. Not sure why people think this is a large vehicle.

Think of it as a 3-series crossover and you get the picture. The X3 for example is a lot bigger (especially the new one).

And as for our American friends, this car is tiny compared to the behemoths you drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #61
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Urm, yes

I have said this a number of times on this forum. It is pretty much exactly the same size as a 3-series estate on which it is based, except taller. Not sure why people think this is a large vehicle.

Think of it as a 3-series crossover and you get the picture. The X3 for example is a lot bigger (especially the new one).

And as for our American friends, this car is tiny compared to the behemoths you drive.

I am a 52 year old American and I'm proud to say the largest car I've ever owned has been a 2000 subaru Outback wagon. I've been awaiting the X1 for about 5 years now (since I first heard of rumors) precisely because it seems to be the perfect compromise between utility and handling that I'm looking for to replace my Outback. Granted, I've never owned any car withOUT a manual transmission, have never used cup holders, and weigh the same as I did in high school so I'm not typical.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #62
Taylan
Rep
Drives: 2011 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by taYab View Post
That is exactly how it should be and why we love it
That is also what it has the same price with 3 series xdrive
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #63
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Urm, yes

Ditto.
It's NOT an SUV, but a crossover wagon. More or less a 3 Series higher on the ground... That's why it looks like a 3 Series higher on the ground.
      12-14-2010, 05:00 AM   #64
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
I am a 52 year old American and I'm proud to say the largest car I've ever owned has been a 2000 subaru Outback wagon. I've been awaiting the X1 for about 5 years now (since I first heard of rumors) precisely because it seems to be the perfect compromise between utility and handling that I'm looking for to replace my Outback. Granted, I've never owned any car withOUT a manual transmission, have never used cup holders, and weigh the same as I did in high school so I'm not typical.
No offence intended, sorry. I have spent may weeks driving through the states and realy enjoy it. On average I am there every year. Went to Tahoe in January for some skiing and loved it. When there I do tend to avoid the large SUV's as rentals and normally go for something german (had a 325i last time). I would say that the X1 is smaller than a Outback. As Gatekeeper says above, its not a SUV. In fact I would guess that a Outback has more offroad ability. Onroad handling with light offroad ability, imo, its superior to a Impreza, the only Suburu I have driven extensively.

Last edited by mario486; 12-14-2010 at 05:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #65
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
No offence intended, sorry. I have spent may weeks driving through the states and realy enjoy it. On average I am there every year. Went to Tahoe in January for some skiing and loved it. When there I do tend to avoid the large SUV's as rentals and normally go for something german (had a 325i last time). I would say that the X1 is smaller than a Outback. As Gatekeeper says above, its not a SUV. In fact I would guess that a Outback has more offroad ability. Onroad handling with light offroad ability, imo, its superior to a Impreza, the only Suburu I have driven extensively.
No offence taken at all. I agree with you 100%. I hate SUVs. I passed a guy in a Hummer this morning. I just can't drive past one of those without looking into the driver's eyes to see what kind of person would drive such a beast. Then there is the Cadillac Escalade which is another I can't quite drive by without shaking my head. Yes the X1 is smaller than the Outback. The new Outback is too big for me as is the Forester. The X1 may be a bit too nice as my "3rd" car but I guess I'll just have to suffer. I need a car with a minimal amount of off-road capability and a fair amount of storage capacity since my 335 coupe and Z4 are just for driving. I need to trail my dirt bike (Husaberg) and I also use my trailer a lot to haul building material for various projects or garden supplies. If I can't fit what I need in my trailer or if it's too heavy, I just have them deliver. It's kind of ironic that I actually do take my car off-road a bit while 99.9% of those who drive Hummers never do.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #66
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
No offence taken at all. I agree with you 100%. I hate SUVs. I passed a guy in a Hummer this morning. I just can't drive past one of those without looking into the driver's eyes to see what kind of person would drive such a beast. Then there is the Cadillac Escalade which is another I can't quite drive by without shaking my head. Yes the X1 is smaller than the Outback. The new Outback is too big for me as is the Forester. The X1 may be a bit too nice as my "3rd" car but I guess I'll just have to suffer. I need a car with a minimal amount of off-road capability and a fair amount of storage capacity since my 335 coupe and Z4 are just for driving. I need to trail my dirt bike (Husaberg) and I also use my trailer a lot to haul building material for various projects or garden supplies. If I can't fit what I need in my trailer or if it's too heavy, I just have them deliver. It's kind of ironic that I actually do take my car off-road a bit while 99.9% of those who drive Hummers never do.
Sounds like the X1 is the perfect car for you I hope (and you must try one if they do) that they bring one of the diesels to the USA, absolutely bloody amazing engines. Way ahead of any other oil burner at the moment.
Appreciate 0