XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Helpful driving tip

2 1/2 weeks and 550 miles later this is what I have found to be the best combination for fuel economy and performance:

I28 x-drive

I have the ASS (auto stop start) function always set to off

I start ECO mode when I start each trip

When I need some more aggressive power I kick the transmission shift lever to the left (sport mode) and back to the right when less power is needed

Any feedback would be welcome

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Ex-One
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ex-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer
2 1/2 weeks and 550 miles later this is what I have found to be the best combination for fuel economy and performance:

I28 x-drive

I have the ASS (auto stop start) function always set to off

I start ECO mode when I start each trip

When I need some more aggressive power I kick the transmission shift lever to the left (sport mode) and back to the right when less power is needed

Any feedback would be welcome

Thanks
What numbers are you getting while running Eco pro?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

On the 35i, my experience is that DS is more for showoff than performance. It drags each gear out way above what gives max torque, which might sound aggressive, but isn't optimal. At least not for the N55.

As for keeping ECO PRO on, doesn't that also delay the throttle response?

For sporty driving, I turn off DTC+DSC.
After it several times prevented me from accelerating while coasting (to pass), and completely nixed my order to speed up, I gave up on it. With high performance summer tires on a dry road, there is no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to accelerate from 40. And even less reason why it then nixes the gas for several seconds while blinking the yellow nana-nana-boo-boo light.

I hope this can be fixed by programming, but as it is, it's downright dangerous. What if you go into the oncoming lane before hitting the gas, getting no response at all, and meanwhile the rest of the line behind you moves up and takes your spot, so you can't get back?
Or you give a quick steering correction to get the rear pointed at the optimal angle for exiting a curve? In that case, the interference can cause you to slam into the auto rail.

Anyhow, for me, sporty is with DTC+DSC off, using the paddles to assist, e.g. with engine braking or matching the gear to an oncoming curve. DS is near useless except for impressing the unwashed masses with loud sound, but that might be different on the N20.

Oh, and some hints for saving gas:
Keep the rpm low. Try to never exceed 1500.
If you can build up a little speed (at low rpm) before hitting a small hill, do so, so you can coast up and over it at under 1500 rpm.
Avoid full stops. If you come towards a red light, it's better to brake hard early and coast at low speed towards it than to gently stop and then start again.
But most of all, pay attention to others. If you turn onto a busy road, floor it to match the traffic speed as quickly as possible, despite it costing you gas. If you don't, you cost everyone who have to brake gas, and what goes around, comes around.

Last edited by Grovsnus; 05-12-2013 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Added fuel saving hints
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm getting a little above 22 mpg's in ECO, hope to get 24 after break in.(just 550 miles)

50% highway - 50% city
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Ex-One
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer
I'm getting a little above 22 mpg's in ECO, hope to get 24 after break in.(just 550 miles)

50% highway - 50% city
I get 27 mpg in DS or manual shifting mode with 50:50 driving on my xdrive28i.

1200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 WRX & 2013 X1

While I am happy that I have been getting good gas mileage over the last 2400 miles that I have owned the car, if I really cared about it enough to use ASS and eco-pro, I would have bought a Prius. And turned in my man card.

I used Eco-pro for two trips and realized it did not save enough to make it worth the performance decrease. ASS was turned off every time I got in the car until I had "last user setting" enabled.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
KaKiT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xLine

when is "break in"?
      05-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaKiT View Post
when is "break in"?
It's in the manual, under the header "Breaking-in Period".
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Ex-One
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaKiT
when is "break in"?
First 1200 miles for the general engine and transmission equipment and 500 for the run flats.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What is the MPG BREAK IN to be expected?

What is the BREAK IN period in miles that should achieve maximum MPG's that you will experience based on your driving habits? I drive conservatively and I'm still only getting about 21 MPG's after 575 miles. I do not use ASS but I do use ECO more than 50% of the time.

I know there is not an exact answer but based on other peoples experiences what can I expect.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
On the 35i, my experience is that DS is more for showoff than performance. It drags each gear out way above what gives max torque, which might sound aggressive, but isn't optimal. At least not for the N55.
It is, because of the gearing you'll have more torque on the wheels than a higher gear.
And as a bonus on the 8 speed you get a fart on the upshifts, which is pretty cool

(2nd and 3rd run)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Where is the Eco-Pro button on the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
I hope this can be fixed by programming, but as it is, it's downright dangerous. What if you go into the oncoming lane before hitting the gas, getting no response at all, and meanwhile the rest of the line behind you moves up and takes your spot, so you can't get back?
I agree it seems more dangerous than helpful. I've dealt with the similar systems on the last several cars and don't really care for that method of TC. Only solution really for me has been in turning it off. Then I know I won't have a sudden power cut when I'm trying to accelerate.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
First 1200 miles for the general engine and transmission equipment and 500 for the run flats.
That's not what the manual says. Read it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naambezet View Post
It is, because of the gearing you'll have more torque on the wheels than a higher gear.
Actually, no. The torque at 5000 rpm in 4rd is substantially higher than for 6500 rpm in 3rd. This is especially true for the N55 which falls off at high revs more than the N20 does.

Ideally, you want to shift up so the minimum torque for the rpm range you run the two gears under is as high as possible. But that assumes no cost for the shift itself, and that you always accelerate to top speed, which is seldom the case. So in practice, you drag each gear a little longer than optimal, which lessens the risk of you having to shift up and down again and lose time shifting.
But for the DS setting, it truly drags out the gears on the N55 far more than what's optimal. Which I believe serves the same purpose as the engine sound fed to the speaker in the M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
I agree it seems more dangerous than helpful. I've dealt with the similar systems on the last several cars and don't really care for that method of TC. Only solution really for me has been in turning it off. Then I know I won't have a sudden power cut when I'm trying to accelerate.
Yeah, if it just reduced the acceleration to what it believed was the max for safety, I would have no issue with it. But dropping it to zero while blinking the light in your face for a couple of seconds isn't too useful. People will start turning it off, so when it could have saved you, it won't.

Then again, many drivers probably never see the light. In both the literal and figurative sense.
Appreciate 0