XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Any issue with replacing the runflats....

...with conventional tires when the time comes?
My brother in law has worked in the tire business, and he raised the question when we were discussing the run flats.
My impression from others' comments here is that replacing the run flats with conventional rubber using the original wheels poses no problems.
Do I understand this correctly?
Thnx,
Moon
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Yes, of course there wouldn't be an issue.

Run-flat tires have absolutely nothing to do with wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Based on my experience with 3 series, you loose some steering weight and handling. The car is still safe to drive but with lower limits. There will be more body roll and weight transfer when braking or taking corners aggressively.

I believe there are a few good run flat tires with reasonable pricing available, particularly for non staggered setups, both OEM options are decent, so I wouldn't recommend switching to regular tires. If you decide to take this route, however, I recommend choosing a tire with very stiff sidewalls and/or XL load rating. Michelin is usually good in terms of sidewall stiffness. Since I am happy with ride/handling of mine (I have regular suspension and sport line wheels) I will not consider this when (if ever) time comes for tire replacement.

Last edited by MazdaFan; 12-24-2013 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: Also make sure tire can take more than 50 psi, so you can pump it up to 42 safely.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Btw run flat wheels usually have an extra ridge which supports the tire bead in case of run flat operation. It can be used with regular tires with no problem. I also think the rim is reinforced to take more impact than a regular rim.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Okay, so I'll have to ask a bunch of questions before replacing the OEM tires; I presume the suspension is tuned for the stiff sidewall tires.
Not a question that has to be answered tomorrow, but cost of replacement was certainly among the issues I wanted to address.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I have zero issues with my non run flats. They are a bit more wobbly, but I have winter rubber which is always more wobbly
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

I replaced my winter RFTs with 17" Continental non-RFTS on my X1 3 weeks ago. No issues at all, but as mentioned here I can also sense a bit more wobbeling (?) when cornering but not enough to be an annoyance. On the positive side the non-RFTs are more comfortable during regular driving because of the ability to be more forgiving on uneven surfaces.
Appreciate 0