Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

"Universal" Garage Door Opener in Mirror

I just picked up my 2014 X1-35i yesterday. I am very happy with everything so far except the UGDO which has resisted my every effort to get it to work. I am thinking "Universal" means it doesn't work with any door opener. My garage has the opener with the "learn" function and I have followed those instructions to the letter with no success. Has anyone got any tricks on how to outsmart this thing and get it to work?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

There are two steps: having the car learn the code and the having the opener recognize the sending unit. I can not quite tell if you have done both steps. They both are needed.

Also it may sound silly but the car transmitter will not activate the door with a quick touch like the transmitter that comes with the door. It takes a press for a second or so.

Last edited by BeEmVe; 11-10-2013 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
anelson86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

I too was very frustrated with the garage door opener. I tried and tried to get the thing to sync, but it would never even pass the first step, let alone "learning" the code. During the first programming step the light on the mirror would only flash slowly for about 55 seconds and then stop. It never started flashing quickly.

I tried changing the battery in my opener remote to no avail, tried many different combinations of distances, which button I pushed first, etc. Luckily, I was in need of a new remote for another vehicle because the old one had been lost. Lo and behold, after ordering a brand new remote and programming it with the opener, it was able to program my X1 with no problems at all exactly as stated in the directions.

I would suggest going to a home improvement store and buying a new remote to program the car. If it works, you have a second remote (only about $10) or you could just return it to the store. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
I just picked up my 2014 X1-35i yesterday. I am very happy with everything so far except the UGDO which has resisted my every effort to get it to work. I am thinking "Universal" means it doesn't work with any door opener. My garage has the opener with the "learn" function and I have followed those instructions to the letter with no success. Has anyone got any tricks on how to outsmart this thing and get it to work?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson86 View Post
I too was very frustrated with the garage door opener. I tried and tried to get the thing to sync, but it would never even pass the first step, let alone "learning" the code. During the first programming step the light on the mirror would only flash slowly for about 55 seconds and then stop. It never started flashing quickly.

I tried changing the battery in my opener remote to no avail, tried many different combinations of distances, which button I pushed first, etc. Luckily, I was in need of a new remote for another vehicle because the old one had been lost. Lo and behold, after ordering a brand new remote and programming it with the opener, it was able to program my X1 with no problems at all exactly as stated in the directions.

I would suggest going to a home improvement store and buying a new remote to program the car. If it works, you have a second remote (only about $10) or you could just return it to the store. Good luck!
Your experience is exactly what I am going through - it will not complete even the first step, just blinks slowly and then eventually goes out. My Chamberlain remote will open the door from a block away so it is obviously not weak, so I can't see how getting a new remote would change anything? What was involved with programming the new remote with the opener? Maybe that is the magic step?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

Try resetting the Home Link by holding down both outside buttons for at least 20 seconds. Now try to sync the remote to the Home Link. then the third step is to sync the Home Link to the opener.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
Try resetting the Home Link by holding down both outside buttons for at least 20 seconds. Now try to sync the remote to the Home Link. then the third step is to sync the Home Link to the opener.
Those are exactly the steps in the BMW instructions so unfortunately they have been tried about a dozen times already. Step two is the FAIL point as the UGDO will apparently not recognize the remote (which is working fine).

Last edited by Gort; 11-11-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

My current Opener is a Chamberlain and I don't have problems setting that up. But I think that I had problems with a Genie.
The Chamberlain, Lift Master, and Craftsman are the same with different colored cases.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
anelson86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
Those are exactly the steps in the BMW instructions so unfortunately they have been tried about a dozen times already. Step two is the FAIL point as the UGDO will apparently not recognize the remote (which is working fine).
Yup, this is what I did over and over again to no avail. Even watched the BMW videos thinking I missed something. Once I got a new remote it all worked flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
1fastscooter
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 Msport 28i LeMans Blue

Did you check the GDO manual? for the Crapsman (not mistype) code shifting; when in the final syncing process, I have to remove a light cover and light bulb to access the learn button on the GDO. once the remote is sync'd to the Homelink, I then link the Homelink to the GDO.
Check with your Manufacturers manual (physical or online) to verify.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

Try holding the remote between the mirror and the windshield when you're programming it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpants View Post
Try holding the remote between the mirror and the windshield when you're programming it.
I just tried this while at work along with a tip from another forum to press the button on the remote for 5 seconds, release, press another 5 seconds, etc., etc. One or the other at least got me to the part where the Homelink LED on the mirror started blinking rapidly. Hopefully when I get home and do the "learn" function that will get it done.

UPDATE: After doing the above and getting the rapidly flashing LED, when I got home I climbed the ladder and pressed the "Learn" button on the door opener, went back to the car promptly and hit the button on the mirror for about 3-4 seconds... Bingo - the door closed! SUCCESS!

Thanks to all for the help on this.

Last edited by Gort; 11-12-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
thosw
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherpants View Post
That was a definite must for me!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep

Update shown two posts above.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
TrueRedi3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3

Lightbulb

After struggling with the same problem, I found these instructions quite helpful.

http://www.overheaddoor.com/garage-d...tructions.aspx
Appreciate 0