XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

10-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #45
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

I'm a technodunce, so most of this is beyond my ken. I've been considering getting electronic monitors for the winter rims for my X1. Is there a chance that any shop in western PA could do this kind of work? My bride's Audi has the tire monitoring system that you are converting to, and it works just fine. No drama putting on the winter tires and rims.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 05:43 AM   #46
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Odds of getting a legitimate shop to intentionally disable a safety device are pretty slim. You might be better off finding a local coder to help you out. If you ever make it up to the Rochester area, I could do it pretty easily.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #47
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
I'm a technodunce, so most of this is beyond my ken. I've been considering getting electronic monitors for the winter rims for my X1. Is there a chance that any shop in western PA could do this kind of work? My bride's Audi has the tire monitoring system that you are converting to, and it works just fine. No drama putting on the winter tires and rims.
Moon
Assuming you have tpms system already in your car any tire shop can install the sensors on your wheels. You can buy used sensors but you're risking dead batteries. As far as i know these batteries can't be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #48
BMWVIP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335I Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post
EDIT: MISSION COMPLETED

LATER EDIT: Here's the TL/DR explanation of what I describe below. For various reasons, I wanted to have tire pressure monitoring without having to deal with those pesky sensors. And now, after some tweaking and coding, that's exactly what I have. I can swap summer and winter wheel/tire sets - neither of which has TPMS sensors - whenever I want, and my car will still alert me if one of them has low pressure.

BACKGROUND INFO: US Spec E84 models (and maybe some more recent specs for other countries) use the TPMS system that relies on individual pressure monitors in each tire. If you have metal valve stems, you have this type of TPMS. Up until very recently, most other countries use a system called FTM that relies instead on monitoring the tires via the ABS sensors. FTM basically looks to see if one tire is rotating at a higher speed than its opposite-side partner, which indicates that it has a lower level of inflation.

FTM works pretty darn well, but US regulations require TPMS in newer cars. So for some cars, like the E84, BMW just added in the TPMS system in addition to the existing FTM system. Since FTM is tied to the ABS monitors, I guess it really didn't make any sense to change the production and remove it for TPMS markets.

The upshot of this is that US-spec E84's have a sensor-based TPMS system because it's the law, AND they have a fully working sensor-less (sort of) FTM system because BMW didn't bother removing it. So my quest was to disable the TPMS system and enable FTM, which will make things much easier and less expensive when it comes to swapping wheel sets and replacing tires. Disabling TPMS would have been enough, honestly. I managed to survive the past few decades with manually checking my tire pressure. But I wanted to go the extra mile and retain the additional level of safety provided by automatic tire monitoring.

Here are the results:

After getting some help from a couple of very nice European folks I was able to figure out the coding. Full details:

***PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU DO TO YOUR VEHICLE IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY REPEATING ANY OF THIS****

1) Disable/disconnect physical TPMS RDC module. The specifics are further down in this thread, but basically it should be under the car and behind the rear axle.

2) Code OUT $2VB and ADD IN $265 in the VO.

3) Change the following codes in CIC, KOMBI, and XDSC:
CIC: RPA_CIC
aktiv
CIC: RDC
nicht_aktiv
CIC: RDC_SAFETY
nicht_aktiv

KOMBI: RDC_ALIVE
nicht_aktiv
KOMBI: MMI_ENA_RPA_RDC
aktiv
KOMBI: RDC_VERBAUT
nicht_aktiv
KOMBI: DSC_MIT_RPA_CC
aktiv
KOMBI: RDC_DISP_SWITCH
nicht_aktiv

XDSC: AUSSTATTUNG_RPA
aktiv

And that was it. Then you can go into the status menu. If you go to the Flat Tire Monitoring System tab, it should see there is an error. Just go to the 2nd tab and reset it. Then you should see green in all corners.

RPA FTM is now working on my US-spec E84.

But does it really work?

As a test I dropped the right rear tire down from 41 to about 29 psi. I then drove for less than a mile and got this:

VERDICT: COMPLETE SUCCESS

Thanks so much to everyone who helped me out with this!

Im not sure how to code out VO.
Cant get passed this step ( 2) Code OUT $2VB and ADD IN $265 in the VO. )
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #49
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is info on changing VO: http://codinge90.com/ncs-expert-how-...vehicle-order/
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #50
BMWVIP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the help.
I know this is a X1 thread but this might work on my 08 335i e92
Another question. I was able to code out the TPMS light but now when I go to the service tab I cant select TPM tab (Grayed Out).
I coded out $2VB and added $265
I also changed KOMBI.
I wasn't able to find CIC and XDSC.

Thanks In advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #51
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWVIP View Post
Thanks for the help.
Another question. I was able to code out the TPMS light but now when I go to the service tab I cant select TPM tab (Grayed Out).
I also changed KOMBI.

Thanks In advance.
Hmm, I'm not sure what the RPA setting would be for a non-CIC system. Check CAPPL or CCC instead of CIC. And I think you have DSC instead of XDSC.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #52
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Thanks for the help.
I also changed KOMBI.

Thanks In advance.
Scroll up a few posts...I tried for a while on our 08 135 with CCC, and haven't been able to do it, or find anyone else who has. It surely can be done, I just haven't found out how yet.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #53
BMWVIP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure what the RPA setting would be for a non-CIC system. Check CAPPL or CCC instead of CIC. And I think you have DSC instead of XDSC.
I checked -CAPPL & -DSC and wasn't able to find anything that was related to
RPA_CIC
RDC
RDC_SAFETY

Maybe I should be looking for different code?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #54
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I checked -CAPPL & -DSC and wasn't able to find anything that was related to
RPA_CIC
RDC
RDC_SAFETY

Maybe I should be looking for different code?
I don't know, I think you guys need to find someone with a Canadian CCC system and get them to pull their codes.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #55
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i

Did you modify the VO on just the CAS ECU or the "LMA" ECU as well? (Some guides say this) I don't see the LMA ECU available to modify the VO on in NCSExpert.

What daten version did you use? I have been able to code everything but the Kombi. It won't read the Kombi at all, I just get COAPI-2000 and BIP-0009 errors.

Thanks for the guide!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #56
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I only had to change the VO on the CAS ECU. Not sure which daten version I got, I don't have my laptop with me. I will PM you some help...

EDIT: Version I'm using is 55.4.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #57
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I only had to change the VO on the CAS ECU. Not sure which daten version I got, I don't have my laptop with me. I will PM you some help...

EDIT: Version I'm using is 55.4.
Awesome info, thank you! Excited to have something to do this weekend now.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #58
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I got it working tonight, very happy with the outcome! Thanks improvius!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #59
jayhawk51
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1 35i

TPMS not working on 2013 BMW X1 35i

Hi All,
New to the forum, having issues, TPMS system in my X1 is not working, took the car in to a BMW shop, tech ran diagnostic, said he was not getting a signal and not able to reset, I get TPMS inactive when I start the car, Tech stated the car was not receiving a signal, I then took it to a tire shop, the tire shop used the hand held sensor next to each tire, all were transmitting a signal, any ideas? My only thought is it might be the RDC module, if that was the case I was going to see if I could find someone to recode so I could use FTM as opposed to TPMS. So my question is
does it sound like the RDC module or could the sensors not be operating properly.
Thanks
jayhawk51
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 10:12 PM   #60
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

The tire shop confirmed the sensors are fine, so the issue sounds like a fault with the TPMS module on your car. I'm not sure if the TPMS and FTM use the same ECU or not however - if they do then coding to FTM might not help you (but it's worth a shot either way)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #61
jayhawk51
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1 35i

I also thought it was the module, need to decide if switching tho FTM would be a better option than replacing the RDC module.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #62
P@shencia
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x20d 2010

Can anybody post here photo from cic display with working RDC, not RPA system. It's show pressure in each wheel?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #63
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Pro-tip:

Don't have a dealer attempt to install a new clock spring with the TPMS coded out.

They can't program it to the car, and have to pull it back out, and hand the car back over to you to fix.

Serenity now.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #64
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Pro-tip:

Don't have a dealer attempt to install a new clock spring with the TPMS coded out.

They can't program it to the car, and have to pull it back out, and hand the car back over to you to fix.

Serenity now.
Oh man.... That sucks!! Thanks for the tip though, if I ever need that job done.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 12:25 AM   #65
veer90
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Thanks for the write-up, I followed these instructions on my e90. TPMS is deactivated but I wasn't able to activate FTM. The yellow tire light flashes on at startup but I don't get any TPMS errors and check control is OK.

I ripped out the TPMS electronics: RDC module, antenna, and all 4 wheel well sensors. Replaced $2VB with $265 in VO. Now for coding I could only follow instructions for KOMBI exactly since the modules on my car are different.

For XDSC I just programmed the same parameter in DSC (no XDSC module on my car). CIC I didn't do because my car has no iDrive.

I dropped one tire to ~20 psi with the rest at 35 ish, drove ~5 miles and no TPMS light. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 12:44 AM   #66
veer90
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by veer90 View Post
Thanks for the write-up, I followed these instructions on my e90. TPMS is deactivated but I wasn't able to activate FTM. The yellow tire light flashes on at startup but I don't get any TPMS errors and check control is OK.

I ripped out the TPMS electronics: RDC module, antenna, and all 4 wheel well sensors. Replaced $2VB with $265 in VO. Now for coding I could only follow instructions for KOMBI exactly since the modules on my car are different.

For XDSC I just programmed the same parameter in DSC (no XDSC module on my car). CIC I didn't do because my car has no iDrive.

I dropped one tire to ~20 psi with the rest at 35 ish, drove ~5 miles and no TPMS light. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks
Update: removing $265 from VO fixed this.

For e90 with no iDrive, follow instructions in post 1 for all applicable modules and just delete $2VB. Only add $265 if you don't want to see FTM warnings.
Appreciate 1