10-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
Jacks money
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Accidental X1 owner

Just thought I would start thread on the why people bought an X1

my story
went to buy a different sort of wagon / estate, to small for me... drove a stack of others tried the X1 "as a laugh" hooked
I got a second hand one 23d version and it goes well once moving, the 1/2 gears seem a little mystical as is it wants to jump thru gears really really quickly, so generally I put it in DS.

also my first country trip I got a rock into the windscreen and a crack is running in the window.... anyone needed to replace one of these yet? Just annoying in my new pride and joy

But in all seriousness, top set of wheels and way underated
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Looked at a VW Tiguan. Lots of car for the price, but not really fun.
Looked at an Audi Q5. The dealer was talking trash about other brands, which put me off.
Looked at a BMW X3. Too cramped driver environment - even with the seat all the way back, my knee hit the dashboard (which protrudes a lot more than in the X1).
Looked at the X1. Test drove it. Sold.

The down side to all of the above crossovers is that the rear seats don't fold completely flat. I think it does on the X5, but that would be too much like my existing SUV...

And because I do have another SUV, I can do with the much smaller trunk space of the X1. It's still big enough for my two dogs or some fishing gear, which is all I need. But why oh why can't I get the X1 in red here in the US?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F97

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Actually i had just totaled my E92, and was going in to get a new 3 series, hadn't even thought of the X1, but that's what i ended up with!! Now waiting for delivery!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Looked at Rogue, Enclave, Subaru's, Venza, Matrix back in 2010 (All too big and/or gutless)
Looked at Mini's, back in 2010 but I wanted something bigger.
Looked at EX35 last month, nice but _bad_ awd and not sporty enough for me and cost more for less imho
Looked at X3 (2012 too wobbly, not sure about 2013) and 3series (too low to the ground for me) 5 months ago,
Considered Audi Q5, A3, and All Road (A3 too small, All Road looked good, Q5 I'd assume would be too wobbly, and like any Audi I've driven, they feel disconnected from the roads).
My wife owns a Tiguan and it's too wobbly for me, no other good options from VW in the X1 space.

I currently drive a first month 2003 Toyota Matrix, it's gutless and has bad handling characteristics but once learned and with the right wider tires you can exploit them for enjoyment. Understeer, oversteer, 4 wheel skids, it can do them all with the right combination of gas and braking. Acceleration though isn't an attribute to enjoy, the throttle has two settings, off and full. But the car has been bulletproof with almost 11 years of driving and 120k miles, not a single repair and I drive the car Very hard. My wife hates driving with me because I don't slow down much for corners, I tell her I have to keep the momentum going with a 130hp engine, she doesn't care. Cornering is where my enjoyment of driving mainly comes from.

The main feature I wanted in a car was safety as was my wifes. My wifes A3 was totalled when a jacked up truck infront of her stopped as the car infront of him was SLOWLY turning into a gas station and another jacked up jeep was on a cell phone, not paying attention, slammed into the back of her stopped A3 at 40mph. It moved her A3 10' forward and the truck infrot of her 5' forward. Had she been in a smaller or less safe car she could have been really hurt, but she and her mom had absolutely no injuries.

I am also done being in a gutless car and I want something I can still have fun with and feel connected to. I don't care about exteriors, interiors or gadgets that don't improve safety. The X1 gave me a good acceleration, solid handling, still fun and sporty, a higher ride height than a car (same as my Matrix actually) and a hatch that I prefer to a trunk. I'd get a 3 series wagon in a heart beat though if I didn't live where the majority of people massive SUV's for their 10 kids, mini-vans, ego boosting trucks, and jacked up offroading vehicles without lowering their bumper -- You can see several jacked up trucks, jeeps, and SUV's a day whose bumpers are about 3'-4' above the ground, high enough that the bumpers would go directly into the side windows of cars, but I feel going with a higher ride height for myself is out of my budget or puts me in a vehcile that's too tall and more likely to roll if I have to turn quick to avoid dear where we always drive (10 mile 55mph road where you see 1-5 recently deceased deer on the side of the road each week). I really wish BMW offered a 'safety' package that included xenon headlights, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, sonar (not a video screen, just beeps), blind spot alarms, active cruise control, and active vehicle braking/accident avoidance. I'd pay a premium price for that package in a heart beat and never touch leather or luxury items that would get damaged quickly with what I need to use the car for.

Last edited by edx1; 10-16-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
MrT-Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-Sport

Yeah it's become like an arms race. If everyone drove sedans then I'd probably be ok with a sedan -- but because of all the SUVs around, I'm looking at an X1 so that I can be a little bit safer if an SUV runs into me...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
bmwx1rider
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1

First off I'm new to the boards.

Just ordered an X1 this past Friday, waiting for the production # and eta of delivery.

I didn't even know the X1 was available, stumbled onto the info online while doing some research of the audi A3. Was looking to hold off for the Benz CLA but I can't wait that long for it's debut. Test drove the X1 last week and I was impressed.

Got the xDrive28i AWD in White.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx1rider View Post
First off I'm new to the boards.

Just ordered an X1 this past Friday, waiting for the production # and eta of delivery.

I didn't even know the X1 was available, stumbled onto the info online while doing some research of the audi A3. Was looking to hold off for the Benz CLA but I can't wait that long for it's debut. Test drove the X1 last week and I was impressed.

Got the xDrive28i AWD in White.
Congrats! and welcome.
Appreciate 0