03-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2 series 218i Grand Coupe

My X1 Dislikes

The clutch pedal is positioned to far to the right,
Heavy steering without optional (servotronic)
No fuel drain behind the filler flap, any excess fuel runs down the wing,
Rear wiper not linked to the front wiper so no automatic rear wipe when selecting reverse gear in the wet,
Water from the windscreen runs along the door windows and not up and over the roof, design fault with the windscreen rubber,
No radio mute button, they should have made the phone button on the steering wheel mute the radio.
As for the rest of the car I love it.
May be you have some dislikes too?

Just found another (Clutch Judder)

Last edited by BillQuarter; 03-20-2011 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

William - my old Ford Focus has the automatic rear wipe when reversing.

What it also has is automatic door-locking when you drive off - does the X1 have this?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

There was a thread already on the same subject:

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432198

As for the things you mentioned, I can concur only with the rear wiper being disconnected from the front one.

The on/off button on the radio panel acts as a mute control, in the sense that for a while it does not stop the cd (you can actually hear that the cd keeps turning), so when you hit it again, the music or radio continues instantenously. Is it not the definition of mute? Actually, when you press the button, there is a mute icon on the iDrive screen.

For the door locking when driving away, this can be programmed via the board computer, and you can even have different settings for the two keys.

I've already listed my complaints elsewhere, but will repeat the two top ones here so maybe the bmw guys read it and fix next time they have a car on the drawing boards:
1. the "boot open" sensor sends a warning only AFTER you drive away, so you cannot close the boot, check if it's close and drive; when closing the boot there's abolutely no way to tell whether it is deemed closed or not;
2. there is no decent fixation of the floor mats; yes I know it is the nasa which invented the velcro, but it seems more adapted for interstellar voyages than for properly preventing the mat from sliding under my brake pedal
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post

What it also has is automatic door-locking when you drive off - does the X1 have this?
Yes it does.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

great
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post

That would have been nice.

My passenger door mirror does angle down when reversing though.

If anything I think that the rear wiper is too small anyway. Would have liked a larger one to clear more of the glass.

Any which way I use Aquapel on my windows. Amazing stuff. At speed, say 70 mph, you can switch off the wiper completely.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
ratmonkey
Registered
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
If anything I think that the rear wiper is too small anyway. Would have liked a larger one to clear more of the glass.
Well, it's a small rear glass so I can't imagine how much bigger the wipers could have been. After all, even in good weather with a clean rear glass visibility is very poor.
I, for one, regret not getting the reversing camera. Maybe that's why they made it so small afterall .
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
That would have been nice.

My passenger door mirror does angle down when reversing though.

Any which way I use Aquapel on my windows. Amazing stuff. At speed, say 70 mph, you can switch off the wiper completely.
If you turn the switch för left/right mirror to the right the mirror does not angle down, turn i t to left and it will angle down. This is for a car with the steering wheel on the left side.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompak23d View Post
If you turn the switch för left/right mirror to the right the mirror does not angle down, turn i t to left and it will angle down. This is for a car with the steering wheel on the left side.
I'm not sure I'm following you Tompak...
      03-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

My english is not that good but I try again. You dont seem to like that your passenger mirror angels down when reversing, right?

With the switch you use to adjust the left or right mirror you can stop this. In my car (which is LHD) I simply put the switch in the position to adjust the right mirror, and the function for angling down when reversing is turned off. If I put the switch in the position to adjust the left mirror, the function for angling down when reversing is turned on.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 03:00 AM   #11
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Your English is very good, but I just wasn't sure I understood properly. So thanks a mil for your patience.

Got it now ! (duh!).
Never noticed that, I'll have to check...