XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
JingM
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 E84

Front bumper lip removal.

Hey guys, im a new X1 (E84 base model)owner, and so far i love the car. its a big upgrade in terms of comfort, from my Mazdaspeed 3. but one thing that i really wanted to change is the front lip which is sliver, i want to vinyl wrap or plastidip it. Been searching google for any instruction and i got nothing. So is there any way i can just remove it without removing the whole bumper?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 01:05 AM   #2
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Not 100% sure about the bumper, though I would first try to get the car on a couple jacks and look underneath. If you want to be sure then just look at the parts diagram on realoem.com - if it shows the whole thing as a single part then that's your answer.

Off topic: you should do the black kidney grille mod - will make your car much nicer...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 s28i

I've been watching vinyl wrapping videos on youtube. From the grasp of things, a professional installer would probably find it easier to wrap it on the car rather than removing the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

The vinyl must be installed on the piece on the car, the installer can not wrap it properly if taken off.

If you still want to remove it, there is no need to take the bumper off though.

You have silver on the car, rather silver the nostrils and you have a two tone style.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
JingM
Rep

Thank you Tracus, D unit, Vstolpner for the reply. I will try to get the kidney grill next week. I will go to the shop that did my window tint tomorrow and jus have him install it... I really like the blackout look tho Tracus. It looks mean, lol..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i

PlastiDippin

I plastidipped my front "lip" black with no issues. Just tape off everything with a bit of space (about 1 cm) on the surrounding trim so you can peel off from there.

I also plastidipped my rear "diffuser" and side rocker panels, all previously silver from the xLine option.

I will post pics soon!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
JingM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinBR View Post
I plastidipped my front "lip" black with no issues. Just tape off everything with a bit of space (about 1 cm) on the surrounding trim so you can peel off from there.

I also plastidipped my rear "diffuser" and side rocker panels, all previously silver from the xLine option.

I will post pics soon!
please do.👍🏼

How does it hold up with chipping from road debris/ small rocks? . How many coats did it take? I don't want the silver to show right away when it get scratched...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingM View Post
please do.����

How does it hold up with chipping from road debris/ small rocks? . How many coats did it take? I don't want the silver to show right away when it get scratched...
It holds up very well. I did my front bumper "lip" in the spring and it has yet to chip at all. I did about 5 coats.

Plastidip is actually a thin rubber coating, so it will bounce debris off before it chips.

Worst case scenario, a small spot peels off from a large impact and you fix it with a little paint thinner and a couple of coats. There are instructions on this on YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
JingM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinBR View Post
It holds up very well. I did my front bumper "lip" in the spring and it has yet to chip at all. I did about 5 coats.

Plastidip is actually a thin rubber coating, so it will bounce debris off before it chips.

Worst case scenario, a small spot peels off from a large impact and you fix it with a little paint thinner and a couple of coats. There are instructions on this on YouTube.
Thank you for the info. I will have it done professionally at my local tint shop because i don't have time to work on it and it has been raining here in South florida. Any info on the cost to have it done? So i don't get ripped off.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 07:08 AM   #10
Maverick_X1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

You could also get the sport trim front bumper parts(which are gloss black) and replace the grey part
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #11
LevinBR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the info. I will have it done professionally at my local tint shop because i don't have time to work on it and it has been raining here in South florida. Any info on the cost to have it done? So i don't get ripped off.
I did it myself and it cost me $5. I thought it was a fun Saturday project, especially with a few beers!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #12
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

Quote:
please do.👍🏼

Besides Plastidipping you can look at mine on the - X1 Photos, Titled - My Alpine White.
I had Front and Rear Middle Silver Sections.

When i looked underneath it seemed it would damage them if i tried to take off. Got some cheap Plastic Tarps to cover all the front including under and the wheels.
Used Spray Cans, 3 Coats of Flexi Prime and 4 Coats of Acrylic Matt Black.
Lots of Freeway/Highway Trips. I've only had 2 Small Chips and just touched up by spraying the Matt Black onto a small brush.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 06:45 AM   #13
JingM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTony View Post
Besides Plastidipping you can look at mine on the - X1 Photos, Titled - My Alpine White.
I had Front and Rear Middle Silver Sections.

When i looked underneath it seemed it would damage them if i tried to take off. Got some cheap Plastic Tarps to cover all the front including under and the wheels.
Used Spray Cans, 3 Coats of Flexi Prime and 4 Coats of Acrylic Matt Black.
Lots of Freeway/Highway Trips. I've only had 2 Small Chips and just touched up by spraying the Matt Black onto a small brush.
Cheers.
Your car looks good sir👍.

To everyone thank you for your insight.🙏
Appreciate 0