Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

06-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

BMW E84 X1 35i Coil Over Suspension...

Is there a coil over suspension "Kit" available? (M-Sport Equipped)

I got a mixed response from a few vendors today and would like to know if KW or Bilstein offers something for our vehicles.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

KW offers the V1 and V3 kits.

KW is very reliable and a decent performer. A cut above that are the top-tier companies like Moton, JRZ, MCS, etc. I opted for JRZ, so they already have experience with the X1 and will be able to sell you a "kit."

I went with Ground control camber plates, JRZ RS Two dampers, and swift springs (11k,16k).
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I have KW on the M3 and Bilstein PSS9 on the M5.
Either one would be ideal but one vendor told me there isn't anything available except springs the other stated otherwise. I sent KW an email but no response yet.

In regards to your set up... Any issues or complaints? I am not looking to be the fastest SAV on the road however I am aiming to dial in the suspension a little bit better without sacrificing ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I have KW on the M3 and Bilstein PSS9 on the M5.
Either one would be ideal but one vendor told me there isn't anything available except springs the other stated otherwise. I sent KW an email but no response yet.

In regards to your set up... Any issues or complaints? I am not looking to be the fastest SAV on the road however I am aiming to dial in the suspension a little bit better without sacrificing ride quality.
Here is a link to the Kw V1 kit: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...variant-1.aspx

As for my setup, I have posted a few times with my impressions. The main downside to my setup is cost - you will be around $4-5k all said and done. But the damping sophistication and ride quality are pretty amazing. I am running extremely stiff springs, but the ride quality on full soft is as good or better than the stock M-sport suspension

It really depends on what kind of ride you are looking for. I like a firm ride with bumps dealt with quickly (not harshly). I really dislike up and down bouncing after hitting a bump from soft springs, but I also hate crashing when I hit a bump. I like my JRZ dampers because the car remains perfectly level, but the dampers deal with the bump extremely quickly and without upsetting the car. It is just "over with" without experiencing discomfort. If you like a softer, more up and down ride, go with slightly softer springs than my 11k/16k setup. Perhaps 7k/14k. The nice thing about JRZ is that the dampers are all custom, you can simply call up JRZ, tell them what you like, and they will valve the dampers appropriately.

If dealing with JRZ, I recommend going through a local performance shop - JRZ can be hit or miss via email (as all the boutique, high-end companies are) so it is best to have a shop that can deal with them for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

excellent. thanks for the info and feedback.
Appreciate 0