XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
Casacounselor
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 x1

BMW X1 issues

I'm looking for advice please. I'm a new BMW owner. I leased a 2015 x1xdrive i28 in late November of 2014. I put a decent amount down so I could handle the payments. Other than the regularly scheduled maintenance, I've had many problems, let's forget the shredded tire within the 1st month, 1st major problem was an engine malfunction with reduced speed, ended up being a wastegate actuator(I have no idea what that is), this was within the 1st year under 20,000 miles, the next month the same thing happened over the holidays, although this time it was supposedly a software issue, and not a month later (now) my service engine light is on, now I have a bad thermostat which needs to be replaced and of course there are none in the country until the end of the month. I have brought my vehicle in for service 6 times in the last 18 months (3 times for problems), I have under 25,000 miles on it and I'm wondering if this is the price you pay for having a BMW, is this normal, a fluke, or do I have a "lemon"?
Appreciate 1
X1Miss0.00
      06-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

I'd say a lemon, although I have no experience with the X1 nor the turbo 4 in it. I have considered picking up a 3.5i version in the last year though so I don't have to lean on my z4 so much and to deal with the occasional snow...even though the z4 has always managed snow reasonably well for a rwd car on summer tires.

The wastegate actuator is what regulates the boost pressure the turbo generates on a mechanical level by opening a flap to allow some exhaust gas to bypass the turbine wheel of the turbo and for it's rpm to slow as a result. The turbine is spun up by exhaust gas while being connected to the compressor whee,l which is what pumps the pressurized air into the intake tract.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'm more inclined to think that after a few of these issues get sorted out your car will be fine.
I've had a few mercedes that had warranty repairs in their first years ( alarm switch, window regulator, idler pulley, radio static, traction control malfunction )
everything got fixed by Mercedes and the two cars went on to be ultra reliable over tens of ten-thousand miles.

Shredded tire is probably you not BMW and most of the items are supplier provided parts and unfortunately there will be a few failures from large volume production. I wouldn't worry.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 03:13 AM   #4
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

My 35i has been a problem child. 69 days down in the year I have owned it. I don't think that BMW's are bad, just my X1.

BMW just authorized a full buy back due to it's lemonyness.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Just to comment on my personal experience with the 28i engine and the car in general. The car has over 35kmi, of which over 10kmi are mine. I have the service history for the entirety of the cars life and it hasn't had any real issues. The engine is fantastic and didn't even complain when I accidentally filled her up with regular gas (although a deeper look at fault codes showed some premature ignition which I never noticed).

It's hard to say whether you have a lemon but I've had second hand experience with a few BMWs which had some issues during the first couple years of life and then nothing for the next 6 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 04:30 AM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Lemon laws vary. In CA its number of times for the same fix, or total days out of service

Check it out and lemon the car if you can

It happens though, that you sometimes have random issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
Casacounselor
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 x1

Thank you everyone for your responses. I apologize, I'm not too savvy navigating my way through this forum. There is only one BMW dealership in my city and unfortunately they are not willing to work with me at all and being a "novice" to this whole thing I did not realize that BMW is one of the few that will also not allow a lease swap(without the owner still being liable). I wanted to upgrade to an X3, prior to my lease being up, thinking they would accommodate my request due to the many times I have had to bring it in for service, sadly they will not budge. When my lease is up I will not be going back to BMW--I love the vehicle but not the dealership or hierarchy of management.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

The way you are being treated is not right at all. Try getting in touch with BMW NA and explain to them your situation. I've seen too many times that dealerships (specific dealerships, across many brands, not specific to any one brand) care too much about their bottom line and treat customers like dirt. BMW as a brand still cares about their customers and should be able to resolve this for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
rtowell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 Sdrive28i; 2001 M5

Agree ... you need to contact BMW NA. You should not be having the problems that you are and your dealer should be dealing with it since the car is under warrant.

For what it's worth, my S Drive has been been flawless since day one and dealer service has been outstanding. I've had BMWs continuously since 2003 and have found them to be highly reliable, and that includes two M cars.

I think BMW makes an outstanding product. Sorry for your pain and I hope BMW NA can assist.
Appreciate 0