XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Has anyone else experienced anything like this??

Last week, after some shopping at a local mall, my wife and I returned to her X1 and noticed that the windshield wipers were in the up position (mid swipe). It was a nice day and we hadn't used the wipers before parking and I was pretty sure I hadn't accidentally hit the wiper stalk when turning off the ignition.
I didn't give it an more thought at the time.
Fast forward to this afternoon and when we returned to the X1 after our lunch at a local restaurant, all 4 windows were in the down position.
The windows went up fine and there was nothing to indicate there had been any issue.
No big whup, but I'd hate for the windows to go down by themselves in a heavy downpour or snowstorm.
I really don't want to go to the dealer unless this becomes more of a constant problem as you know the dealer will never be able to replicate the problem.
BTW, The X1 has been running perfectly since we bought it 10 months ago and this is the only anomaly we've encountered to-date.
Anyone else experience anything similar to this?
      12-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

That's strange.

Definitely an electrical issue.

Don't be so hesitant, take it to the dealer. Ask for a loaner.

It's under warranty, so use that to your advantage.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

There is a comfort feature which lowers all windows when you hold the remote for a few seconds, the purpose is to vent a car which has been sitting in the sun. Is it possible that you activated this mode inadvertently?

Also there is a mode for windshield wipers that brings them to vertical position. Then you can push them away from the windshield. The purpose is for overnight parking in freezing temperature. I forgot how you activate this mode through wiper stalk.

It could be an electrical glitch, but it is also possible that you activated these modes somehow.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Sennasixty8
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i ///M Sport

I don't recall seeing these 'feature' in our owners manual, what section is that info in ?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

The first one is called Convenient Opening, page 32. The second one is called Fold-out position, page 64. You push the wiper stalk up and hold it for 3 seconds.

You can also hold the BMW logo on remote for 3 second to close all windows and sunroof.

PS. there are a lot of features that most people never use. You should read Owners Manual carefully to find features that are useful for you.

Last edited by MazdaFan; 12-27-2013 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
Sennasixty8
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i ///M Sport

I'm aware of the many features, however not every model produced actually has those features as a working option.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
The second one is called Fold-out position, page 64. You push the wiper stalk up and hold it for 3 seconds.
Good info, but really no need for that. When the wipers are in their resting position, one can simply pivot/fold the wiper arms into a vertical position, which is the same thing as what you're mentioning. A lot simpler that way.

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Drfritts
Rep
Drives: X1

Last summer we have witnessed our windows going down by themselves. Each time I thought I may have pressed the key and in the morning when heading out to the driveway to pick up the newspaper I find a window or two halfway down. After experiencing, this I would make sure that the doors and windows are closed before heading to bed. The last incident I found all windows and the sunroof and I rarely use the sunroof. I went to the dealership and I go the run down that I must've pressed the remote by accident- then my son borrowed my car for the weekend and he witnessed the same thing. The dealership did take it more serious and check the car out and found something relate to a switch in the drivers door- sorry I don't recall the part.chope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #9
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I noticed tonight that my sunroof sunshade had closed itself
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drfritts View Post
Last summer we have witnessed our windows going down by themselves. Each time I thought I may have pressed the key and in the morning when heading out to the driveway to pick up the newspaper I find a window or two halfway down. After experiencing, this I would make sure that the doors and windows are closed before heading to bed. The last incident I found all windows and the sunroof and I rarely use the sunroof. I went to the dealership and I go the run down that I must've pressed the remote by accident- then my son borrowed my car for the weekend and he witnessed the same thing. The dealership did take it more serious and check the car out and found something relate to a switch in the drivers door- sorry I don't recall the part.chope this helps.
Thanks. I'll wait for a 2nd occurrence before I take her in. But when I do I'll refer to your post.
      12-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

It bears asking where the poster's keep their keys; if the fob shares a pocket or a ring with a bunch of other stuff, that might be responsible for pressure on the remote's buttons.
It's the kind of gremlins you can do without all together.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Anyone else experience anything similar to this?
I've read several accounts of this happening but have not (thankfully) experienced it. In all instances where a fault was found it ended up being a faulty door lock actuator. GL.
Appreciate 0