XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Cosmickites
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive

BMW Assist / Bmw Online, same?

Can someone please hlep me out here? i think im pretty tech savy but lost when it comes to getting the Google local search to work in my Nav and/or use google to access the web in the car.

I am able to send locations from my home computer to my car using my bmw assist username.

What i want to do is in the Nav screen access Google Local Search to find locations also. When i attempt to do so i get some sort of quick flashing error message (500 internal server error).

the Genius guys at my local BMW service center told me one day system works as tested. then yesterday they tell me, you dont have the service, which you have to pay for.

so that said. do i or dont i have this service already as part of my car? can others utilize the Google features? can anyone utilize internet searching in car? is that considered BMW Online?

thank you in advance

Michael
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
TheGuru2You
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 3.5

There are two ways to use google search. One is with your iPhone (unsure about android), docked with cable and using the BMW apps program or two is to subscribe to convenience pkg in BMW assist. See it's the Internet access you need. That is why you need to pay BMW if not using your phone.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

You need the convenience package ($199/yr I think) to use Google search from iDrive. My parents got a free 30-day trial in their F30, and the package simply isn't worth it.

We all use the MyBMW Remote app for iPhone...provides everything we need including Google search with send to iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Capionsfd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 m sport

I'm not having any luck using the google search from iPhone. This feature works on x1's?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capionsfd View Post
I'm not having any luck using the google search from iPhone. This feature works on x1's?
Yes, as nospam stated, you need to download through iTunes the "My BMW Remote" app. Within that app, there's the Google Local Search function. Enter the destination you're looking for. Once google finds the destination, then you send to X1.

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Capionsfd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 m sport

I figured it out. I had the app but didn't know I had to look in messages on the I drive to get nav
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
qkbrian
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

What is the story on the android version of this App? I can see it in the Google Play store but it says it isn't available in my country (US).
Appreciate 0