XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
senwar
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x20drive

Ipod connectivity

I've got the USB option, and currently have an old Ipod video connected and left in the car.

I'm debating getting a basic ipod touch so i can update the podcasts more frequently via wifi as opposed to synching with the macbook all the time.

Has anyone got an ipod touch working ok with the usb lead? When I've plugged the iphone in I get the accessory not compatible message and whilst it works its a little sketchy.

So has anyone got the latest gen ipods working OK?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

I'm waiting for my X1, and also ordered the USB, my dealer wasn't 100% sure if the BMW or original iPod lead is required.

You might need to get the BMW lead - check with dealer.

I believe there's also a dedicated BMW iPod kit which charges as well - I'd think this would be pricey as well.

BTW have you connected a USB stick?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
I'm waiting for my X1, and also ordered the USB, my dealer wasn't 100% sure if the BMW or original iPod lead is required.

I believe there's also a dedicated BMW iPod kit which charges as well - I'd think this would be pricey as well.

Thanks for replying.

I've got the genuine BMW Y lead, which does also charge. I bought this for my previous car. The lead is expensive for what it is, and even more so considering it doesn't work on the iphone properly.

I've not tried a USB stick in the car no.

Just not sure if the Y lead will work ok on the latest Ipod touch's.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

How much did that BMW lead cost if I may ask?

I'm sure the latest iPod touch will work - just make sure to install the latest OS.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
How much did that BMW lead cost if I may ask?

I'm sure the latest iPod touch will work - just make sure to install the latest OS.
It was £39.99 (gbp).

Mates getting a 4th gen touch later thus week so going to hold fire and test it with his.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by senwar View Post
It was £39.99 (gbp).
Thats a crazy price for a piece of cable, I hate it when BMW do this

They are not alone though as every manufacturer is on the take when it comes to accessories and Apple themselves are also guilty. I have an IPad and stupidly bought their sleeve for £50 where you can now get better ones on ebay for £10.

Another example is that mobile phone cradle that fits into the armrest on option 644. It a piece of plastic that BMW charges £80 for and changes each time you change phones. Again I got mine off ebay for £5
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Thats a crazy price for a piece of cable, I hate it when BMW do this

They are not alone though as every manufacturer is on the take when it comes to accessories and Apple themselves are also guilty. I have an IPad and stupidly bought their sleeve for £50 where you can now get better ones on ebay for £10.

Another example is that mobile phone cradle that fits into the armrest on option 644. It a piece of plastic that BMW charges £80 for and changes each time you change phones. Again I got mine off ebay for £5
Totally agree - but as no aftermarket lead was available when I needed it I had no choice. Given it doesn't work properly with the iphone too, its pretty shocking. Not sure if there's any after market one now?

Also agree re: the ludicrous centre cradle.

As an apple aficionado too, I feel the Apple overprice pain as well!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Fixer524
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 x drive 2.0d Auto

Thumbs up iPod cable

You don't need the original BMW Y cable, you can get a good quality version from Amazon for 10 pounds, works a treat with my iPhone 4.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Guys do not use the BMW Y cable, the white i phone/apple original works far far better
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

Quote:

I must admit I prefer to leave a USB stick filled with 'driving tunes' connected at all times, with over 30 Cd's of music on there I'm never short of choice. As the port on the X1 is in open view there is little chance of enticing some brick toting mallet head into targeting my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #11
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Dilbert - I used to do the same but found some album's that I purchased on i tunes would copy to the USB stck ok but I could not see them on the i drive or play them, album's I had copied from CD into i tunes transferred to the USB and played ok, so I found I was missing lots of current music. I also download Audio books for my longer drivers so plugging in the i phone works best in my case..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #12
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bottle View Post
Dilbert - I used to do the same but found some album's that I purchased on i tunes would copy to the USB stck ok but I could not see them on the i drive or play them, album's I had copied from CD into i tunes transferred to the USB and played ok, so I found I was missing lots of current music. I also download Audio books for my longer drivers so plugging in the i phone works best in my case..
I could see how that could be a problem, but not for me as I don't use ITunes downloads or audio books. How did you convert the dowloaded music form AAC to MP3?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #13
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I didn't convert any files, just dragged them from i tunes onto the USB stick and most of them seemed to work, apart from the recent downloads, but they are on the stick ! Maybe, if I could be bothered I could try and convert the one's that wont play but knowing my luck I would lose all the tunes so I just plug in the i phone, get better artwork displays on the screen too so an easy win with an i phone/i pod...
Appreciate 0