Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive23d

iPod connection

Just wondering what the story is with the iPod connection. If I connect my (getting old) 60 GB iPod via the genuine iPod cable, it doesn't play - does nothing at all. If I connect though a headphone cable the sound comes out fine but I get no display on the screen other than Aux connected or something like that. I was expecting the full iPod menu or at the very least a listing of songs playing and about to be played. Preference would be to be able to navigate through the iPod menus.

If I play a cd, the song titles and album is displayed. My phone info including all contacts and photos displays no worries. Seems strange that the iPod menus don't seem to display or am I doing something wrong? Or do I need to buy the Y-cable? Is there no alternative to this overpriced piece of wire?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

I have my X1 for 2 months now but have yet to test the iPod (I've been using only USB stick). I will let you know how my iPod touch gets along.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

My X1 was delieverd in May, and I understand there was some sort of update, but if I use my iPod with a standard USB/iPod cable plugged into the USB port in the console, I get full song and album navigation and album art displayed on the screen (Nav Pro).

It doesn't however work if I use the USB port in the glove box, which is a shame, becuase it would solve the problem of an untidy cable in the console.

Both ports will charge the iPod.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

There's a USB port in the glovebox? Will have to check that out.

I have the nav business not pro but I might need to check it again. Or maybe check it with both cables connected. I test software for a living, I should be good at this!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bacchaebabe, I may be wrong since you have Nav,but think for the iPod you needed to spec the USB option that's next to the Aux socket.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchaebabe View Post
There's a USB port in the glovebox? Will have to check that out.

I have the nav business not pro but I might need to check it again. Or maybe check it with both cables connected. I test software for a living, I should be good at this!
Just had a read of the manual (if in doubt, read the instructions, lol); it appears the USB port in the glovebox is for transferring files to the HDD in the Nav Pro system.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

I wouldn't be too disappointed, having your music on the HDD will be very convenient, and no worries about leaving iPod in the car. I do leave my USB stick permanently in my car, don't think anyone's gonna break in to steal it!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
melts
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep

To have the songs, artists, and lists appear on the screen, you'd need the original Y-cable.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
I wouldn't be too disappointed, having your music on the HDD will be very convenient, and no worries about leaving iPod in the car. I do leave my USB stick permanently in my car, don't think anyone's gonna break in to steal it!
Do you get the songs displayed using a USB stick? I might just do that instead. You can get pretty big ones these days and they are so cheap I could use them like playlists anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yup, and I have no SatNav. I've got a 8GB stick and adding files all the time. All the info displays on my standard Professional radio.

It's real easy. I organize with folders by Artist->Album. If I want to sort the Albums or Songs in a certain way I just prefix with a number, and it plays in order. Brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
R0ut3r
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 Lamborghini Urus, 2021 Fe

2012 X1 2.8i with NAV + audio upgrade tested with a couple inputs:

-> iphone v4.2 plugged in with the white standard USB cable = all features except App Plugins (for those with 6NR).

-> ipod Touch 3rd gen with v4.2 = Lists, album art, audio - OK

-> ipod nano 3rd generation with white standard USB cable = fail. BMW Y-cable required for audio to work.

-> ipod nano 4th generation with white standard USB cable = Lists, album art, audio - OK

-> ipod mini 1st gen with white standard USB cable = fail. BMW Y-cable required for audio to work.

I know I have too many iPods...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ut3r View Post

I know I have too many iPods...
no kidding.

Do you have the Media Adapter for the iPhone? If you don't yet, get it from the U.S.
      08-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, I don't have satnav, but have the optional USB port to play sticks and iPod and....with the apple cable my 3rd gen iPod Touch won't play but charges. So I figure I'll have to get the BMW cable(?)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT, 2012 X1 28i

Quote:
Or do I need to buy the Y-cable? Is there no alternative to this overpriced piece of wire?
Bacchaebabe - in our X1, we use my wife's iPod 3G with the Y-cable and it works great - playlists display, you can run through menus, and everything works perfectly. I can also plug in my iPhone 4 and it will display all playlists - it also displays all my phone contacts, but I think this is because it is connecting through Bluetooth as well (can't seem to get the iPhone to play songs through Bluetooth though...). So I would recommend trying the Y-cable. It's not too expensive, at least here in Canada. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of nicely-equipped X1's when we visit Australia next March! Our first trip to Oz!

Last edited by Phil777; 08-10-2011 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #15
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

Why don't just use the USB cable that came with the iPod and buy a 3.5mm extension cable?
Shouldn't this work also?
This would cost you probably 1$.....
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #16
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not sure that will work, BMW has probably implemented some interface programming to only make their Y-cable work, otherwise why would I not be able to control my iPod using Apple's cable? Also, the aux is not used for what you think, as the way I understand it the iPod's volume control is bypassed when connected.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
I'm not sure that will work, BMW has probably implemented some interface programming to only make their Y-cable work, otherwise why would I not be able to control my iPod using Apple's cable? Also, the aux is not used for what you think, as the way I understand it the iPod's volume control is bypassed when connected.
I think you are correct manicm - the y-cable is definitely required, rather than the two separate cables.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #18
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoyuji View Post
Why don't just use the USB cable that came with the iPod and buy a 3.5mm extension cable?
Shouldn't this work also?
This would cost you probably 1$.....
Yeah, this is what I was originally doing. The sound plays OK and it charges the iPod but no menus displayed so have to control though the iPod rather than the nav screen.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #19
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil777 View Post
Bacchaebabe - in our X1, we use my wife's iPod 3G with the Y-cable and it works great - playlists display, you can run through menus, and everything works perfectly. I can also plug in my iPhone 4 and it will display all playlists - it also displays all my phone contacts, but I think this is because it is connecting through Bluetooth as well (can't seem to get the iPhone to play songs through Bluetooth though...). So I would recommend trying the Y-cable. It's not too expensive, at least here in Canada. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of nicely-equipped X1's when we visit Australia next March! Our first trip to Oz!
Not sure you'll see too many X1s over here. I still get excited when I see one and there's not that many on the roads. Saw a nice dark blue one the other day though.

Where are you visiting in Oz? You should have a ball. March is a good time to come. Weather is pretty good then.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #20
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not sure you'll see too many X1s over here. I still get excited when I see one and there's not that many on the roads. Saw a nice dark blue one the other day though.

Where are you visiting in Oz? You should have a ball. March is a good time to come. Weather is pretty good then.
We're in Sydney for 5 days, then in NZ to visit friends for 2 weeks, then back to Oz and over to Adelaide for 5 days, then home! Can hardly wait!

X1's are still pretty scarce here too - always cool to see another one! We moved our 2 kids into their university residences yesterday, and so I drove the moving truck and my wife drove the X1. I got a chance to see it driving on the road - it is a superb looking vehicle that really stands out and looks good from every angle, but especially from the front!
Appreciate 0