10-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Have a loaner and have questions

Mine: 2014 X1 28I X-line fully loaded
loaner: 2014 X1 28I base line - bare bones

The loaners leatherette seats are much more comfortable than my leather seats. They are more cushioned and more supportive. How can this be? Are you supposed to get a hard uncomfortable seat for $1900! Also the seat heats much more rapidly and to a much higher temperature than my leather seats.

Now hear is the part that is most disturbing, the road comfort of the base loaner is smooth and silky compared to my X1. In my X1 you feel a harsh feed back throughout the car from the slightest road imperfection, in the loaner you know your going over the imperfection but it is smooth and has what I'll describe as a weightless roll over feel. I have Parellies and the loaner has Good Year tires. My tire pressure is always at the recommended 35 / 42.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
x1-2012
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i

a) hum... I guess it is a matter of personal preference but the leatherette seats are not that comfortable during hot summer days as they really feel as vinyl.

b) As for the 'silky' loaner, I guess it is with 17 inches weels, 18 inches makes the ride more harsh.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
The loaner has 17" tires opposed to your X-line's 18" tires. That's the harshness. As for the leather being less comfortable, I think you're on drugs. The leather is far softer than the leatherette. Unless of course the loaner has sports seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Not only wheel size, but tire brand and type can make a profound difference too.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

I have a M Sport w/ 19's and it was substantially better riding and more comfortable than the base 17's on my loaner a few weeks ago. Ride comfort on base 17's is actually quite poor, in my opinion. The base leatherette seats were frumpy and void of support.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #6
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
The leather is far softer than the leatherette. Unless of course the loaner has sports seats.
This is my bet.
Op you may think that's a base model, but try and find out it's options and see what you're really driving in. The loaners I've gotten have had leatherette with sport seats.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

I asked the question so let me reply before I take my daily dosage of DRuGS as indicated above

The loaner does not have sport seats. My leather seats are hard if you touch or push on any spot with your hand where the seats in the loaner car are cushy and have give when you push on any part of the seat cushion. I can have the seat in the loaner pivoted with the thigh area up with out them putting any pressure on the underside of the thigh which is the most comfortable driving position, in my X1 if I do that the seat cuts into the underside of the thigh area. The non sport seats in a 3 series I had last time I was in for service was the same as this X1 loaner, much softer nd therefore in my opinion more comfortable. The only difference between the 2 loaners is that the 3 series was not supportive where the X1 loaner is supportive and comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

The premium leather sports seats aren't meant to be cushy. They're meant to give support, making sure you stay in place when G-forces pull you in various directions.
Yes, they'll be harder. They're supposed to be. The extra adjustments aren't primarily for comfort, but to get you into the right position with maximum support.

In other words, you bought the wrong seats if you wanted cushy.

As for the ride stiffness, as others said, the loaner may have 17" tires, and more sidewall means a softer drive. But also, this is a loaner, and might have been driven a lot harder by more aggressive drivers, and softened up as a result.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

OP has an X-Line, which does not have sport seats either.

I'd guess it has more to do with the loaner being "broken in" by larger drivers. Find a well fed friend and let them drive your car for a while, see if that helps.
Appreciate 0