XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Numerous rattles and noises........

2014 X1 - X-line 18" wheels with Pirelli all seasons. The X1 drives extremely rough transferring every tiny road imperfection into the entire vehicle.

History:

first picked up - the dash creaked and crackled but settled down after a little while

some creaking / crackling noises never went away and became worse after 4 months

In the last 4 weeks there is a clanking noise from the dash directly in front of the wheel. It is there after the car sits for more than 8 hours (morning / leaving work) it is there intermittently other times.The dealer has it for the 3rd time trying to find and correct. When the dealer had my X1 the first time to try to eliminate the noises, myself and the service manager compared my X1 to 2 other X1's. One a loaner and one brand new on the showroom floor and neither of the other 2 would make the creaking noise mine would make with just a lite touch of any spot on the dash. The service manager agreed that there was something wrong with my X1 based on these observations. The loud clanking noise that they have not been able to correct is different than the other creaking noise from the rest of the dash, it sounds like something hitting against something else.

Driving home on Monday night the passenger door started to vibrate, if I reached across and pushed on the wood trim panel it stopped, released the pressure it started again

When I went out for a drive with a shop foreman to replicate the noise from the dash even though it didn't happen during this 20 minute drive there where numerous rattles and creaks from many areas of the X1, doors, dash, luggage compartment.

I was given a 2014 320 Xdrive and it drives like a dream, no noise, smooth, agile. Are the X1 and the 320 such radically different cars that there would be such completely driving experience (the 320 has 17" Continual tires)

I spoke to BMW North America's escalation department and they said they would get back to me in 3 - 5 business days to see what could be done.

Has anyone experienced these problems with there X1 and what may BMW North America do based on these circumstances?

Thanks for any info / help
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I was a bit worried about this sort of thing since the roads around here (NYC) are really rough. So I passed on the X-line/Sports-line packages and instead just ordered my car with the base 17" wheels.

I had an X5 years ago with 18" wheels, but the tires were 55 series tires. Now even the base 17s come with 50 series tires, and the 18s come with sports car-like 45 series tires. IMO that's too low for a luxury car that's supposed to provide a smooth ride.

Add to that these run flat tires, and you end up with a very rough ride that over time can cause rattles to develop in any car no matter how well it's made, especially if you drive on rough roads.

(wow, I sound like such an old person now LOL. I used to only care about how well the car handles... haha!)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
MrT-Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-Sport

I have a 2013 X1 with the 18" all-season Pirellis. I'm sure it's no consolation, but mine is rattle-free....
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
johninjax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X128i LeMans Blue M Sport

I also get some snapping/crackling noises, in my case it seems heat related. When it is cool out it settles down dramatically. Let me know how you make out.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT-Man View Post
I have a 2013 X1 with the 18" all-season Pirellis. I'm sure it's no consolation, but mine is rattle-free....
Same but I'm on 19's. x1 is silent and rock solid.
Appreciate 0