Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Thumbs down Engine 'Thrum' Noise Advice

So... to get things off my chest... my new 18d Sdrive modified clutch is now 100% juddering again. I’m so annoyed.

The main reason for this post is another noise that's got worse and was there before I had the clutch changed.

At idle there's now a 'Thrum' noise like a shaft of some description is wobbling about or possibly an engine mount is worn and the engine is moving about too much???

I can get the noise to appear if I pull away slowly with too little gas, but it doesn't seem to be there once I've got moving or up at speed etc. Just at idle and more noticeable when cold.

If you can imagine getting a hard rubber covered stick, put it into a slightly larger circle of metal (also covered in hard rubber) and wobble the stick about quickly... that's the sort of noise I'm hearing. A dull thrum thrum thrum thrum thrum thrum.

Any ideas? Prop shaft, drive shaft, engine mount?

Will be talking to my dealer soon, but thinking about trying another dealer to be honest.

J.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
pmach10
Rep
Drives: X1 18dXdrive Msport

Hi sorry to here about the prob's your having with your car,how many mile's did your clutch do,my car is the xdrive but i take it your's will be rear wheel drive i think i would be looking to see if you have a centre bearing on your propshaft which is giving you your trouble's even the clutch problem,as it could be trying to bounce giving you your judder.I hope i'm correct here as i have not even looked under mine yet.Hope you get it sorted soon good luck.!!!!!
Appreciate 0