Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

02-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hello everyone,

I am new on your forum an I salut you all!

I just bought a 2012 BMW X1, Sparkling bronze metallic. The car is a Corporate car with few km on board and is fully loaded except Sport Package.

In my deal with the dealer I can give up my original rims plus tires and get the Sport Package wheels but I need to buy my tires.

Why I am doing this? First because I do not like very much the design of the original rims and second because I can not put the hand between the spokes to wash them properly and I hate brake dust.

After I have read your posts and other google search posts I reach the conclusion that I do not want Run Flat Tires. I just bought a sealant Kit from the BMW dealership just in case and soon I will buy some regular tires. Regardless I live in Canada I do not want to have two sets of wheels so I would look for the best Ultra High Performance Tires. (I drove several years a Jaguar X-Type with only one set of wheels but with the best all-season tires and everything was fine, never got in trouble.)

Bottom line, I have two questions for you guys:

I know that Sport Package wheels are different and larger in the rear. I have read the discussions regarding staggered tires and the posibility to damage the center diff. I know that BMW offers this package and they wouldn't do that to kick themselves in the butt BUT what is your opinion?
I need to decide in one week if I want the sport Package wheels or if I keep the original 17 inch set.

Also, is the wheel rotation that important? in Sport package it is impossible to rotate them. Anyway, if I have a problem and I need to replace a tire due to damage, I need to buy at least two to replace the whole front or the whole rear, so from this point of view I am not concerned because I will do it anyway, I will never put a new one in right and an old one in left. Of course, it will be perfect to run without problems with all 4 and replace them all at once. So bottom line Sport package wheels are ok from this point of view.

2. Which tires do you recommend for all season? Is somebody in herev that did the switch from RFT to regular ? What is your conclusion?

I am also looking at the set that is in the attached picture but I can not find the wheels specs. Are the same like the sport package, different in the front and rear? Does somebody know the technical specs for these rims, where I can buy them, and how much?

Your input will be very much appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 02-12-2012 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: attaching picture
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
jackinbc
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

Here's my 2 cents worth:
1. Good that you got the repair kit but stick with the run flats. The suspension is designed for the added stiffness of the side walls.
2. Get the performance wheels and tires - I would have gone with them when purchasing my X1 but did not like the sports seats.
3. Since you live in Canada buy yourself a set of run flat snow tires - the extra grip in snow, ice and during cold and wet conditions is well worth it
4. Don't waste your money on all seasons - get summer performance a set of winter performance snow tires. You got yourself one of the best handlng cars and, surprise, tires give that connection to the pavement.
5. BTW, BMW has a nifty wheel brush that easily gets rid of that brake dust - I too hate the look of dirt or dust on the wheels and the brush works really well. Don't forget to wash and wax your wheels - both the outside surfaces and those that are hard to reach - the inner part of the rim. The wax will make it easier to keep it clean. I do that ever change of season when the snow go on or off.
Hope this helps
Jack
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Hello Jack,

Thanks for your reply.

Since I don't know how is it with the regular tires in X1 I have no ideea how the ride is. Many guys are mentioning "the design of the suspension" but also few of them are happy with regular tires decision.
To be honest, I do not have too much experience with the run flats on X1 neither except the test drive that is not really concludent. I bought the car for the look, dimensions, awd. Anyway, I would hate to have one incident with this tire, it seems that the stifness make it more prone to the nails. I am the type of guy who really loves his cars, never had one flat tire in my life. When is around 50% tread I am buying new tires.
I know is better to have winter wheels BUT:
- I hate puting 4 tires in the car and go for switching at the dealership (destroy the leather, they never wash properly the used tires and put dirty bags inside the car, etc.).
- I hate having the vehicle in the service, usually the rookie tech guy change the wheels , the tires, etc.
- I hate having the wheels screwed up by the negligence of the technician, same with the Jaguar, they managed to chip one of my brand new wheels.
And I am not talking about switching tires. I always bought dedicated winter wheels.
Bottom line, the less the car sees the service , the better... I just don't trust anybody.

I used to have that BMW brush, I have lost it, however, still needs a hand with a small sponge to go behind the spokes.

I know BMW is number one in handling, but I do not see what is got to do with all season. From my experience, all season will handle better than winter tires.
It is not the case with the performance summer tires but some of the all season offer a very decent ride and handling.
Nonetheless, Canada is a very unpredictable in terms of weather, in May I switched to summer wheels, and over the night half meter of snow put me in dificulty. With an all season I can manage both cases pretty well.

Nobody did the switch?

Jack, thanks again for your input, I really appreciate your opinion.

Last edited by Teutonic; 02-13-2012 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinbc View Post
Here's my 2 cents worth:
1. Good that you got the repair kit but stick with the run flats. The suspension is designed for the added stiffness of the side walls.
I, and many others here, will attest to how much more pleasant the ride is on non-run flats - not just in the x1, but most BMWs

The suspension is designed to cope with all sorts - don't think the tyres really come into it.

Run flats can be harsh and expensive. Good if you need them, not if you don't but certainly not essential.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB1873 View Post
I, and many others here, will attest to how much more pleasant the ride is on non-run flats - not just in the x1, but most BMWs

The suspension is designed to cope with all sorts - don't think the tyres really come into it.

Run flats can be harsh and expensive. Good if you need them, not if you don't but certainly not essential.
So, many of you did the switch and you are enjoying the regular wheels as well, right?

DWB, thanks for your input, it makes me feel better.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
ifocus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sport Package

I am running non RF for the winter. It is purely a cost vs risks decisions. My set of Hankook i-pikes runs great, awsome grip despite a bit noisy. As for the 18", got them too. I trust BMW to design it right so no issue of being asymetrics.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifocus View Post
I am running non RF for the winter. It is purely a cost vs risks decisions. My set of Hankook i-pikes runs great, awsome grip despite a bit noisy. As for the 18", got them too. I trust BMW to design it right so no issue of being asymetrics.
Whys Cost versus risk?

Personaly, I think the risk is there regardless you have run flat or not. Once you don't have the spare, it is a risk. I don't see the run flat as a truly solution, I honestly believe that running on that hard thing that RFT has, it still hurts somehow the suspension, the vehicle, and other wheels especially when that happened few hundred km away from a dealership.

This is why I bought the BMW tire kit; it will work with regular tires as well, so I do not see the benefit of buying RFT. I am not a cheap guy especialy when is coming to my cars but I found RFT kinda hard and more prone to problems than other tires.

All my life I used regular tires, I have never take the spare out of its place. If you take care of the car I do not see issues.
True, never say never, but I do not see myself running 200 km on that thing anyway, it will just hurt me. I rather leave the care there and come back if the kit will not manage. Too bad we cannot find baloons that can be placed inside the tire like 20 years ago, that will be a cheap, good and a safe solution that will not require too much space neither, it will just fit with the kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

Tracus,
How often have you use the tire puncture sealant kit in your life?
For me its either runflat or spare tire.

1 thing about the X1 is that the RFT will get you back home safely without make you to change your blown off tire on the highway.
All Canadian spec X1 doesn't come with an spare wheel, if you had decided to move onto the regular tire, then you will have to carry either the sealant kit or an extra spare. However, you need the jack and tools for that as well. The car doesn't come with those.

Also BMW will not honored any warranty issue if they see you not using their RFT tires.

I uses regular winters on the X1, michelin xi2. Ride is a bit smoother than the stock 4 seasons. But the cornering is slightly compromised. But that can't be compare, because the winters are regularly softer than 4 seasons tire.

I owned a Mini cooper as well. I had several time, the stock RFT are completly out of air. Luckily enough, I could drive home before I can get the nail out and inflate it back.
Handling is day and night in the Mini, with RFT and regular.

If you were for the look, there's not much argument there.
Try to get the best all seasons out there, but it might not be better, considering BMW had done testing on more than 1 tire/ wheel combination for the best handling on the X1.

Let us know your thought on which performance tire you are going to buy for the X1.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
X1driver
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I'm thinking of replacing my runflat with regular all season too. My X1 has 18 inch but I am actually thinking of upgrading to a 19 inch and putting 225-40-19 front and 255-35-19 at the back (continental all season from tirerack). Still thinking about it but it makes sense to me so that I don't have to put snow tires since it doesn't snow that much here in Vancouver
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
jackinbc
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

Hi Tracus
I fully concur with your assessment about having to take wheels and tires to perform the switchover - so I do it myself. That ensures no scratches, lug nuts propeorly torqued and I can clean the brake rotors at the same time!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I was so busy, didn't have time to check the forum lately...

My Sport package wheels are not here yet, however I might keep what I have and buy another set for summer.
I am thinking RIAL. I know few guys in here love Salerno, I personally love COMO model.

It seems to me that they are similar except the design. I am also sure that they can support the RFT as well. I think someone used RFT on his Salerno, right?
I might go for the Michelin MXV4 Tires since I already used them alnd loved them.
I have used these wheels for my Jaguar and they were aboslutely nice and easy to clean.

Another one that I like is the new Racing 15 Anniversary which look nice.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1driver View Post
I'm thinking of replacing my runflat with regular all season too. My X1 has 18 inch but I am actually thinking of upgrading to a 19 inch and putting 225-40-19 front and 255-35-19 at the back (continental all season from tirerack). Still thinking about it but it makes sense to me so that I don't have to put snow tires since it doesn't snow that much here in Vancouver
LOL man, we have 10 degrees in the praiarie, yet you hav snow in Vancouver. This year the weather was upside down for sure.
But, I love it, didn't use the shovel too much this year and that makes me happy.
I personally think that 19 " for an SAV is too much, the ride will be rougher and you might not be able to go everywhere with the car. I am curious how it will look though...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #13
snowmanyee
Enlisted Member
Rep

any feedback between the 17", 18" and 19" rims for the X1? Any significant differencei n terms of comfort? I don't think it will be significant but good to check it out...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #14
DrawingArt
Private
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320dT xDrive M-Sport

I drive one with 18" summer and 18" winter tires (no M-sport suspensions) and the ride is just spot on - perfect. Hardness is there, comfort is really good.

I had my X1 on 17" winter tires for 3 months and I hated it ... Too soft ... floppy ... For me 18" is perfect. I would go to 19" in heart beat for sure ... I do not think the stiffness is much harder on 19" but I can not go to 19" due to the fact that tires are really slim and my girl drives the car too ... so I do not want to end up with very expensive chopped rims ) So in that case 18" are just perfect. The ride, looks, everything.
      03-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #15
snowmanyee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW120iST View Post
I drive one with 18" summer and 18" winter tires (no M-sport suspensions) and the ride is just spot on - perfect. Hardness is there, comfort is really good.

I had my X1 on 17" winter tires for 3 months and I hated it ... Too soft ... floppy ... For me 18" is perfect. I would go to 19" in heart beat for sure ... I do not think the stiffness is much harder on 19" but I can not go to 19" due to the fact that tires are really slim and my girl drives the car too ... so I do not want to end up with very expensive chopped rims ) So in that case 18" are just perfect. The ride, looks, everything.
Thanks for your feedback. I am still deciding between 18" and 19". The roads condition here is good so no problem with 19". My only concern is the stiffness. If it's not significant, then I would probably opt for 19" instead of 18", in case I regret later.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #16
DrawingArt
Private
Slovenia
Rep

If you have good roads then 19" it is in my eyes and if you watch the curbs
I am guessing you do not have sport suspensions ? If you have them then go for 18" ... I drove X1 from dealer with sport suspension with 18" and the stiffness is quite harder...
      03-10-2012, 03:07 AM   #17
snowmanyee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If you have good roads then 19" it is in my eyes and if you watch the curbs
I am guessing you do not have sport suspensions ? If you have them then go for 18" ... I drove X1 from dealer with sport suspension with 18" and the stiffness is quite harder...
Nope. my is not sports suspension. Hows the ride with 18" + sports suspension? Stiffer but acceptable? I believe 18" + sports should be stiffer than 19" + stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #18
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

With 19" you will have a hard time in curves, a litle bit too much and might end up destroying your rims. In my opinion 18 is a max for this car.
Anyone with the COMO wheels? Nobody?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #19
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

17" winter tires were RFT?
The 18" you love are RFT or regular?

I am currently running 17" with RFT and I find it quite hard if I reach bad spots on the road. Otherwise, they are nice, cannot complain.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #20
snowmanyee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ordered a set of 19" forgestar with non RFT waiting delivery from USA. I have 19" with non RFT on coilovers for my previous E90 LCI. Acceptable ride comfort. E84 is higher and has bigger wheels so i would think 19" is ok. I am not too concern about damaging my wheels as the road condition is good everywhere in my counry.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
DrawingArt
Private
Slovenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanyee View Post
Nope. my is not sports suspension. Hows the ride with 18" + sports suspension? Stiffer but acceptable? I believe 18" + sports should be stiffer than 19" + stock suspension.

18" + sport should be stiffer then 19" + stock for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
17" winter tires were RFT?
The 18" you love are RFT or regular?

I am currently running 17" with RFT and I find it quite hard if I reach bad spots on the road. Otherwise, they are nice, cannot complain.
I have both, winter and summer RFT on 18". I had 17" RFT yes ... too soft. 18" + RFT is my choice for perfect X1. Love everything about it, comfort, looks, all...
Previous car that I had was E87 - 120i with m-sport suspension + 18" RFT (245/35 R18 back and 215/40 R18 front). That was really stiff but still comfortable, except on back seats
      03-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

BMW120iST, what wheels do you have on 18" ? can you post a picture please? From what I know BMW offers roght now a single 18" set all arround with 8J x 18.

Just as un update, I drove today the sport package original RFT, not big difference, maybe the ride a litle bit stiffer than 17".

I would like to take these wheels but the offer in RFT is poor, I mean no all-season.
If I go non RFT I might have a problem if something happens, it seems that the kit that suppose to repair the tire does not work always.

I think the best setting will be 4 front alloy rims from sport-package everywhere and in that case I have the look, and the all season tires.

I don't know what to do...
Appreciate 0