XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
zarafanm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1

Question 2013 X1 whistling noise

My 2013 X1 has a whistling/whining/whirring noise that seems to be coming from in front of the driver's seat but in the engine. The dealer repair shop thought it was an air leak in rear view mirrors so they added a seal. Noise still there. I've returned several times and the last time they kept the car almost three weeks: replaced all the vacuum hoses to the turbo and even the turbo itself. Noise still there. The noise sounds like a turbo whir (like some older SAABs) and is clearly related to acceleration since it stops when you take the foot off the pedal. One mechanic on a test drive described it as "rotational" and that makes sense. I'm talking to the dealer about a trade or a buy-back. They want one more attempt but have no reasonable hypothesis as to what is causing the problem. This has been going on for over six months. Has anyone dealt with this? Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Loose ground for the radio causing interference? I used to get a whirring sound in my old Chevette when accelerating but it would go away at idle. Checked my radio ground (since the noise was coming through the speakers) and the problem went away.

It's nearly impossible to diagnose your problem without having the car to look at in person. But to give the dealer an ultimatum at this point is kind of crass. Good luck getting them to lemon law the car this late in the game.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
All they need to do is put the car on rollers, stick head under hood and listen.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
zarafanm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1

They have turned the car upside down and listened to it from all angles. They put sound sensors under the hood to record the noise during test drives. The air leak hypothesis makes no sense to me since the whistling noise stops as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator and begins again as soon as you hit the gas. Speed and wind angle are constant. I'm losing confidence that they can fix it.
Appreciate 0