XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-31-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
dylzsrt
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1

backed out of my X1 deal....just a few too many things I didn't like

Well guys, I'm not putting down the X1..but I backed out of my deal that I had set for a few reasons. This was going to be my first Bimmer...so expectations were fairly high even with it being sort of "entry level". When I sat in it...i was majorly dissapointed in the interior and amount of plastic. It's just not what i wanted or expected from BMW.My 2009 Chrysler 300 SRT8's interior is superior buy a mile...even though Chrysler gets thrown under the bus for it's interiors.
This could be argued...and it's open to debate, but in my opinion going with the crappy Goodyear run flats is a mistake.Yes i know there is no spare, but this thing could ride and handle like a dream with a really nice tire.
I also read an alarming amounts of complaints about rattles and noises...again...just not what i'd expect from BMW.
On one hand I really liked it and am pained buy backing out, but if I have to wait longer for the rough edges to be sorted out of this car, then that's what I'm gonna do.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

I don't get why BMW can't rejig the rear space to allow for a spare tyre there if you want it. If you take our the rear flooring pieces, the battery just sits in a plastic box, so with a bit of modification of the exhaust pipe it could easily be possible ('m tempted to get in and change it myself) and stick the battery back in the engine space. You could even 1/2 sink it into the rear floor somhow I'm sure. I like the idea of the battery weight in the back, the low centre of gravity of it there, but for the sake of room for a spare it's just crazy. Fact is the company loses sales over it. I do like my runflats and the ride's great, but I'd also like to be able to tuck away my spare I bought. I'll get around to taking and posting a photo of it in the back one day. It's not too too crowded.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

PS... mine's got Pirelli P7's (?) so maybe those goodyears are a poorer spec from BMW Canada?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #4
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Another lost sale? If BMW are reading this perhaps a review of what it is that creates and attracts a person to a premium brand is required? With the Range Rover Evogue having already taken 30,000 orders, and Clarkson giving it 5* plus in The Sunday Times this weekend, can BMW afford not to investigate potential customers concerns? Reputations that take years to create can be lost overnight as a result of little more than iffy PR. I am also a first time (BMW) buyer so had certain expectations of the BMW brand/ownership experience that I'm pleased to say have been met about 95% of the time.

The positives: Great design with a lot of future development potential. Still technically ahead of 'the competition'. Selling well in all markets and producing high profit margins. Great after sales support and range of options to personalise your car, Reasonable running costs. I guess that's a tick in the box then. Right?

My X1 was built in Spring 2010. It was very high spec and the only problem that I've had was the rubber windscreen seal (sympton 'fixed' but NOT the cause). No rattles or problems with runflats (18" wheels), and excellent driving dynamics/performance. It cost me nearly £41k of my hard earned capital, and while I really like the car I still have a nagging doubt that I've not got value for money.

I also know from experience that if you purchase an entry level model of any car it's not going to be more than a basic tool (I don't consider £41k entry level!). However when you're buying a premium brand you DO have expectations that even the base model will have a feeling of the 'brands' usp's/quality (think VW group and the basic Golf or even Skoda).

The problem if there is one, is clearly not the design or engineering of the X1 so must be something else. My thoughts are: a reduction from specification in the quality of some of the materials used. This could be a result of pressure on procurement, sourcing from suppliers and putting their margins under too much pressure, poor quality control due to high levels of demand, accountants seeking to maximise profits at the cost of customer satisfaction, brand and customer life time value.

So does BMW's range extention strategy perhaps need a little refining, or materials quality control need tightening?

I for one would hate to see BMW's brand tarnished, so come on BMW sort these very minor issues out and do what you do best.....be the best. The X1 is a great vehical

Last edited by Mulberry; 10-31-2011 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
dinamo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1 xDrive28i

hmmm ...strange We bought our X1 few months ago and I'm not finding any problem at ALL . It's not my first BMW and I do enjoy every minute driving it.
Actually if you did read the European BMW forums you would find that X1 is most reliable vehicle ever built by BMW. I can compare with what I was driving before ( 2006 E60 535d and 2006 X5 3.0d).

Last edited by dinamo; 10-31-2011 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusX1 View Post
PS... mine's got Pirelli P7's (?) so maybe those goodyears are a poorer spec from BMW Canada?
LOL. You're probably right. They went cheap on many other things......
      10-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post
The problem, is clearly not the design or engineering of the X1 so must be something else. My thoughts are: a reduction from specification in the quality of some of the materials used. This could be a result of pressure on procurement, sourcing from suppliers and putting their margins under too much pressure, poor quality control due to high levels of demand, accountants seeking to maximise profits at the cost of customer satisfaction, brand value, and customer life time value.

So does BMW's range extention strategy perhaps need a little refining?

I for one would hate to see BMW's brand tarnished, so come on BMW sort these minor issues out and do what you do best.....be the best, and don't lose any more sales.
Well said!!
      10-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

The 3s and 1s have always had spartan interiors. The 5s, 6s & 7s are plushier, albeit not as plush as the competition. Driving dynamics comes standard on each one.

Like everyone else I wish to get more bang for the hard-earned buck. On the base model, sure! Make 'em spartan. But for fully loaded ones, it should be nicer if not similar to 5-series interiors at a minimum.

I don't see BMW changing their ways soon. If OP is forced to getting a spartan interior, then at least get them at a cheaper price, i.e. import from the USA. They don't have the X1 yet, but an X3 may be in the cards.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
dylzsrt
Rep

Well, although the 3 series isn't exactly posh inside either, I'm going to look at a used 335i. I hate going used...I'm fanatical and all my vehicles have always been new.However...since I trade in often, I've grown tired of taking the enormous hit. Some people are just horrible at how they take care of their cars...but it's amazing what the detailers do to make a less than excellently maintained vehicle look like it was. Sooo, I'm going to be very particular with my sales guy on what to go looking for in my used 335. Hope to find a mature owner who was spot on with his maintenance. Anyone know of particulr recurring problems on 2007-2009 335i's with 60-90 kms on them?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylzsrt View Post
Well, although the 3 series isn't exactly posh inside either, I'm going to look at a used 335i. I hate going used...I'm fanatical and all my vehicles have always been new.However...since I trade in often, I've grown tired of taking the enormous hit. Some people are just horrible at how they take care of their cars...but it's amazing what the detailers do to make a less than excellently maintained vehicle look like it was. Sooo, I'm going to be very particular with my sales guy on what to go looking for in my used 335. Hope to find a mature owner who was spot on with his maintenance. Anyone know of particulr recurring problems on 2007-2009 335i's with 60-90 kms on them?
Thanks
Since you're open to getting an E90, there are plenty of incentives being offered right now (1,600 + 2,500). Why not take advantage of that? And since you are okay with the X1's HP, maybe the 328 will be sufficient, saving you even more?

just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Or get a new 3 series 328. They'll be here in Feb. The 328 will have the same engine and tranny as the X1. Dealers are taking deposits now.
      10-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Or get a new 3 series 328. They'll be here in Feb. The 328 will have the same engine and tranny as the X1. Dealers are taking deposits now.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

I'm sure we (Aus and Canada) subsidize the pricing in the US. Their 1M's are the same price as what our X1's are. BMW Germany must produce each model with a view to a certain level of profit tallied up worldwide. So it's no wonder the US hasn't got the x1 yet. BMWNA probably wouldn't pay enough for cars for BMWGermany to bother making them.

I don't agree that the interior is cheap, but that's a very personal opinion anyway and the interior is not something I'm overly concerned with in any car (not high on my priority list). Having said that BMW do rip off customers with the profit margin on things like leather seats for $2K which are only 20-30% real leather, pricing for very basic electronics such as comfort access, USB conectivity, stereo upgrades, etc. Personally I'm Ok paying excess with the idea that what's underneath the car is the best handling/engineering available. I love the way it drives.

It's not very reassuring when the company skimps on minor spending when you're paying such a high premium. What you do hope is that that perception of BMW's premium nature remains and that the company doesn't go cheap or undersell you before you're ready to trade in.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
dylzsrt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
Since you're open to getting an E90, there are plenty of incentives being offered right now (1,600 + 2,500). Why not take advantage of that? And since you are okay with the X1's HP, maybe the 328 will be sufficient, saving you even more?

just my 2 cents
hmmm, did not know either, definetely somethin to think about!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
insoc
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0i Twin Turbo

My new X1 is not my first BMW as I have had a 3 series, 5 series, the X3 and the X5 before. The 3 series has always been the sportier-fun-to-drive car and the 5 series the luxury sports sedan. I chose my X1 not based on its (lack of) luxury or gadgets but on how fun-to-drive the car is. My X1 has the M package option and I really love the ride. My former car was a fully loaded 2010 Nissan Murano. Very confortable real leather seats, a lot of gadgets and a very nice and "luxury" interior but couldn't stand it's lack of sportiness, it's high body roll and even tough the motor is a 3500 V6 I never got to experience its full potential because the car didn't gave me confidence at all. I TRADED all the "luxury" of my Murano for the fun that the X1 provides me. The X1 not being a luxury car provides me a more "luxury" ride if you know what I mean. The handling of the X1 is tigher, firm, secure and sporty and not loose and lack of precision like my Murano. "Luxury" for me can go to hell I want a fun-to-drive everyday car and that car is for now the X1. Sure I would like to have a X6M but for now I am getting a lot of fun with my car.
Funnily I got a whole lot more of looks with my X1 than with my Murano.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #16
empyrean
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240 M Performance edition

I had my X1 for 8 months.

UP: The driving. I got an amazing all wheel traction vehicle with a 0-100 in 6.8 secs, it is a real land crab it handles so well with the 50:50 balance, each curve I love the stability and the security it gives me as well as the immediate response and roar of 6-inline motor. You can see me smiling in each turn.

For the price range, getting this driving experience, you can find it only in much more expensive bmw's and audi quattros. A similar spec motor costos at least 30-40% more in any other luxury brand.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440xi Gran Coupe!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
LOL. You're probably right. They went cheap on many other things......
P7 summer/performance tires are the sport package tire in Canada. The goodyears are the all seasons. In some markets where a summer tire is standard, the P7's are the base tire in the 17" size as well. No cheapness, just different markets.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
dylzsrt
Rep

Mind you....for all my moaning....i'm having a hard time not going back and taking it.....something about it is still calling to me....geesh!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #19
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian eh! View Post
P7 summer/performance tires are the sport package tire in Canada. The goodyears are the all seasons. In some markets where a summer tire is standard, the P7's are the base tire in the 17" size as well. No cheapness, just different markets.
Good to know. We got the base not the sport, so it came with the Goodyears.