XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
dimitris33
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Spare Tyre Kit?

I think that finally I'm gonna put 18'' wheels on my sdrive 1.8i. I have the option to do that on delivery and replace the 17''.

I'm planning to put on the 323 style wheels with NO RUN FLATS TYRE. I will buy the BMW mobility kit and a spare wheel kit (those slims) and put it on the trunk. Maybe I will remove the cover of the bottom inside the trunk to have more depth.

Anybody have done this before? How heavy is a spare slim wheel kit to carry?

p.s. I hate run flats as I have experience with the previous owned 116i.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

I agree, stay away from runflats.

Now the BMW Mobility Kit is just a fancy name for a stopleak foam spray, but it gets the job done. I doubt anyway you will have the room to stow a spare-wheel in the trunk, even a space-saver one.

Frankly I wouldn't bother, the foam spray is enough in most circumstances, and if there is a larger puncture in the tire, call Bmw Assistance.
      12-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
dimitris33
Private
Rep

Normally the larger puncture will incurre while off roading (on rocky road for example) and this will be definitely much easier to happen with the 255/40/18 on the rear non run flats tyres. Maybe BMW assistance will be impossible to come there on the country side roads!

Thats why I'm concerned about a spare wheel too... I have even think a roof box!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

I'm afraid the trunk is really small for putting into it a spare wheel, even an emergency one. Removing the double bottom doesn't help much, because the space gained is rather tiny.

Besides, the second bottom is very soft and the battery and some electric cables are right below it, so I'm not sure if you can put any weight on it without risking to damage what's underneath. Anybody has any experience with it?

Honestly, I fail to understand why bmw is not able to manage some space for the spare, while other awd cars, such as the tiguan, do not seem to have problems with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

I agree with Gatekeeper. Why bother about a spare wheel? Use the foam in case you get a flat tyre. I drive 80,000 km/year. Twice I´ve had a flat tyre in driving a total of 800 000 km. In both cases the tyres were in bad condition... As Gatekeeper said, use the BMW Assistance...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
dimitris33
Private
Rep

Maybe because I'm not so lucky as you. With the 116i runflats in 5 years (90,000kms) I've got five times flat tyres (three of them with large puncture!) and guess when? On my holidays ofcourse...

I paid a lot of money in replacing RFT tyres for this shit again and again... Probably is because of the bad road conditions unless I'm the EuroTop unlucky guy! Before that with my Audi A3 I have never had a flat tyre driving in the same roads for 4 years even with a lower profile (205/45/17 non run flat). Driving was much more comfortable and soft with the non RFT tyres..

Its more than obvious to me that run flats are shit. Maybe this is the reason I'm so afraid now and makes me want to put a spare wheel on the trunk and replace the 17'' RFT combination with the 18'' non RFT.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Taylan
Rep
Drives: 2011 X1

Hi Dimitris,

Won't your x1 have the run-flat indicator? Will it work securely withour non run-flat tires?

Unfortunately runflat is standart in Turkey and it's very hard for Turkey's roads
I would love to change them with non-runflats, as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylan View Post
Hi Dimitris,

Won't your x1 have the run-flat indicator? Will it work securely withour non run-flat tires?
Yes, the run flat indicator works just fine with regular tires; as pointed out by someone in another thread on this forum, the run flat indicator merely measures the rotation speed of the wheel and derives tire pressure from it (you need to calibrate it via the board computer each time you change tires though)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
dimitris33
Private
Rep

Taylan, It seems that we have the same bad roads... As I had a Bmw with run flat before, I can tell you for sure go and swap to conventional tyres. They are much much comfy. The run flats in the beggining looks ok but after a time of say six months u feel that u need new suspension kit!

I will trade my run flats on the X1 delivery with conventional tyres at an additional cost on a local tyres shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

You might have a problem finding a mechanic willing to install standard tires on R/F wheels.

I did it when returning a Mini Clubman at end of lease, and a tire shop reluctantly accepted to install two new tires non R/F, saying it will affect the car handling, and he couln't be held responsible bla bla bla....

As expected, it did affect nothing, the car handled just the same way it did with R/F.

Actually, Lemme rephrase that : it did affect my wallet as the lease company auditor caught it and told me either to change those BRAND NEW TIRES for R/F, or expect BMW Lease to charge me for them (at a conveniently hefty rate, since anything BMW-installed seems in solid gold).
So I chose the former.

So in a nutshell, it is possible to substitute non R/F for R/F tires on the same wheels. It's worth it as long as the car is owned and does not face inspection (ie TUV / DOT etc..) too soon...
      12-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

Contrary to yours', I wanted to put RunFlat tires on my Golf (225/45/17) but the workshop said that RunFlat tires may damage the rim in some cases on bad roads since the impact is not absorbed like on the conventional tires. It seems that swapping from factory conventional tire to RunFlat tire can sometimes be problematic Have you heard anything about this?

Also for dimitris33, a friend of mine switched to conventional tires on his 3 coupe and he's carrying a slim spare tire in trunk. He fastened it with the net( the net that comes with the extra storage package). You might try the same if you're not using the trunk that much.

Last edited by mozdal; 12-08-2010 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Well, yes. RunFlat tires require RunFlat-designed rims. You can't safely install R/F tires on "regular", non R/F designed wheels.

Please stay away from it, it ain't worth the extra bucks.
      12-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #13
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Well, yes. RunFlat tires require RunFlat-designed rims. You can't safely install R/F tires on "regular", non R/F designed wheels.

Please stay away from it, it ain't worth the extra bucks.
Thank you so much for the confirmation Gatekeeper Looks like I should probably stay away from the rft or else I'll also screw my BBS rims
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 04:18 AM   #14
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Exactly.

And to confirm R/F tires are not such a good idea after all, even BMW is backing off from these tires as standard mount.
They are still available but on most models as an option, leaving the customer a choice.
      12-09-2010, 04:28 AM   #15
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Exactly.

And to confirm R/F tires are not such a good idea after all, even BMW is backing off from these tires as standard mount.
They are still available but on most models as an option, leaving the customer a choice.
All my good wishes to Turkish Dealer, they're importing all the models with RFT fitted I'm thinking of switching to 322 for summer tires and conventional tires + mobility kit looks way more cheaper then the RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #16
Taylan
Rep
Drives: 2011 X1

thanks a lot for all the info.

I really wish to swap to non R/F but i will have pirelli sottozero R/F s fitted today.
Because I am pretty sure that the BMW dealer in Turkey would make it a trouble through the guarantee period.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 06:49 AM   #17
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylan View Post
thanks a lot for all the info.

I really wish to swap to non R/F but i will have pirelli sottozero R/F s fitted today.
Because I am pretty sure that the BMW dealer in Turkey would make it a trouble through the guarantee period.
I have the same tyres and find them fine. They may be a bit harder than normal but on a 4x4 its fine.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0