tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
X1 xDrive28i vs. xDrive35i steering

I went to the local BMW dealer to test out a new X1.

I drove the xDrive 28i first, and it is a amazing vehicle. BMW really nailed the refinement on the engine and transmission. The 8-speed shifts quickly, smoothly, and took the car right to 7k.

I wasn't going to drive the 35i, but the sales guy actually wanted me to drive the 35i version, because he had never riden in one.... The 35i is also amazing. The N55 motor is great and the 6 speed is what I've come to expect. Although the 8-speed is quicker and slightly more responsive.

I did notice one thing that is puzzling. The 28i steering is really heavy. It's got a good feel, but it takes some effort. By comparison the 35i had super light steering. My current car is a 2009 128i and it's steering falls somewhere in the middle.

Neither car has the servotronic.... SO WHY IS THERE SUCH A DIFFERENCE?? Do anyone know of a difference between the cars that could cause this? I talked with all the guys in the dealer and they couldn't explain it yet.

I'm still going with the 28i since I don't need the big engine and it's not that much slower.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
xact
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Servotronic steering is standard equipment on all xDrive35i models... so the one you test drove actually did have it. I'm surprised none of the SA's knew that.

In addition to Servotronic, xDrive35i models also come with Xenons and a moonroof standard.

My ideal X1 would have the N55 + 8-speed + Xenon's... but no Servotronic or moonroof. Since that combination is impossible, I chose an xDrive28i to get the 8-speed and standard hydraulic steering (and lower cost, of course)... love it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

The steering wheel actually has an effect on the feeling of steering weight. Our x28i with M Tech wheel is easier to steer than our 2009 128i with sports steering wheel.

The x28i M Sport steering is so perfect I'm thinking of retrofitting the M Tech wheel to the 128i.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by xact View Post
My ideal X1 would have the N55 + 8-speed + Xenon's... but no Servotronic or moonroof. Since that combination is impossible, I chose an xDrive28i to get the 8-speed and standard hydraulic steering (and lower cost, of course)... love it.
I would have gotten the 35i had it not been for servotronic and the 6AT as well, but the panoramic roof is one of my favorite things about the vehicle.

The last BMW I custom ordered was in 2000 and almost any iteration was possible. None of this "line" BS!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
The last BMW I custom ordered was in 2000 and almost any iteration was possible. None of this "line" BS!
I can see why M-Sport is a different line, given that the body differs.
But X-Line, Sports Line and no line? Nah, they're really the same with different option packages.

IMO, yes, one should be able to pick and choose options. If someone wants an M-Sport without performance control and with plastic bucket seats and bronze trim, let them have it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xact View Post
Servotronic steering is standard equipment on all xDrive35i models... so the one you test drove actually did have it. I'm surprised none of the SA's knew that.

In addition to Servotronic, xDrive35i models also come with Xenons and a moonroof standard.

Oh... Servotronic is standard onthe 35i, that makes sense.... I really like the lighter feel, I might have to add that option to my list. I wouldn't get this on a coupe, but for a crossover I like the easier feel.

My ideal X1 xDrive28i
Deep Sea Blue w/ Oyster leather (NO X-Line!!!)
Cold weather package
Xenon lights (No Lighting package or premium package)
Servotronic
Paddle shifters on the steering wheel
Moonroof
Chrome trim
Satin Roof rails
Burger Tune

What I'll actually order, if I get.
X1 xDrive28i
Deep Sea Blue w/ Black Leatherette (NO X-Line!!!)
Cold weather package
Servotronic (If I was getting a coupe I would leave this off.)
Paddle shifters on the steering wheel
Moonroof (maybe)
Chrome trim
Satin Roof rails
Burger tune
Appreciate 0