XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Rmk392
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

my beater is burning oil ..sell it?

I have a beater 06 tsx with about 140k miles on it. It has served me well since I bought it but it's been having issues lately. I fixed the small stuff but the car is losing oil. I took it to my mechanic to figure out whats happening and he says there is no leak. The engine is burning oil, my low engine light comes on about every 3K miles. So 2 options:

1. Keep driving it and just change my oil every 3k miles. Is it safe to drive around with the car burning oil? I don't the engine to suddenly die on me somewhere.

2. Sell the car, it's my mechanics advise. He said it would cost around 2 grand to fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmk392 View Post
I have a beater 06 tsx with about 140k miles on it. It has served me well since I bought it but it's been having issues lately. I fixed the small stuff but the car is losing oil. I took it to my mechanic to figure out whats happening and he says there is no leak. The engine is burning oil, my low engine light comes on about every 3K miles. So 2 options:

1. Keep driving it and just change my oil every 3k miles. Is it safe to drive around with the car burning oil? I don't the engine to suddenly die on me somewhere.

2. Sell the car, it's my mechanics advise. He said it would cost around 2 grand to fix the problem.
You have to ask yourself: Can you place the car for $2K?

I have a 2000 VW Golf since new with 223K on it. The car still runs great and my original clutch is still holding strong. I put three sets of brakes on the car, the exhaust system lasted 10 years, the radiator lasted 11 years and the starter lasted 13 years. My aircon finally gave up last summer, but I mostly use it in the winter so I didn't even bother fixing it.
So I spent almost $3K fixing the car over the last 4 years, but I can't replace it for anywhere near that. It's been dead reliable too. I have no questions about taking it several hundred miles. I'm sure your Acura is worth a lot more than my Golf, so putting $2k into shouldn't be that out of the question.

So, in the end, if you like it and everything else is good, just keep it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Rmk392
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Good post, thanks for response. I haven't done any big repairs since owning it so I have been expecting this day. Sometimes we just look for an excuse for a new car .

Is there any danger of engine giving up randomly if it's burning oil? I might just keep driving it and keeping oil with me
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

dang, used to have 06 TSX and loved it to death
didn't hear much about burning oil issue in K24 engines...
but I know besides automatics which Acura is pretty weak in, other stuff is known to be pretty reliable.
I know the 06 TSX gets amazing gas mileage, if you think you'll need a daily driver like that, I'd invest and repair it, because I regret selling mine...Love my M3 but have been looking for a dd and I've come to realize TSX is probably the best DD ever
      09-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmk392 View Post
Good post, thanks for response. I haven't done any big repairs since owning it so I have been expecting this day. Sometimes we just look for an excuse for a new car .

Is there any danger of engine giving up randomly if it's burning oil? I might just keep driving it and keeping oil with me

I don't know if there's any danger in driving it. You may want to try changing to a different oil. As simple as that sounds, my Golf used to burn throuhg Mobil 1 synthetic. I switched to Penzoil or Castrol synthetic and the problem went completely away.
Appreciate 0