BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
bairen
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 5.0

Recommendations for child seats in x3 (3 yr old)

Anyone have recommendations on child seats to use for the x3, specifically to maximize space for other people that may need to sit in the rear?

For example, is it possible to use a front-facing car seat for a 3-4 yr old in the middle of the back seats?

Are there other narrow kid seats that people recommend?

(I tried searching for this info on the x3 forum, but didn't come up with anything relevant)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Niva
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon to be X3

I believe you can't use the middle seat in the X3 for a car seat using the ISOFIX/LATCH (the anchors beneath the seats.) You could still use the belt but that is not as safe and more of a hassle.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
TiAg135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 TiAG 135i, 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niva View Post
I believe you can't use the middle seat in the X3 for a car seat using the ISOFIX/LATCH (the anchors beneath the seats.) You could still use the belt but that is not as safe and more of a hassle.
wait, what? can someone confirm that you cant use a latch carseat in the middle seat? (I'm expecting my X3 in a few weeks and plan on installing a Britax in the front-facing direction. )
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

never tried the britax in the middle with latch. it looks like the latch points are only intended for seats placed on either side. at worst, you could use the car seat on one side and fit 2 more folks in the back seat. middle person might not be happy, but there's not a ton of room back there.

to the OP, sunshine (sp?) carseats are designed to be narrow to fit 3 across, so you may want to look at those.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg135 View Post
wait, what? can someone confirm that you cant use a latch carseat in the middle seat? (I'm expecting my X3 in a few weeks and plan on installing a Britax in the front-facing direction. )
Look at pages 55-57 of the Owner's Manual, available online at BMWUSA.com.
It appears that there are three possible LATCH positions, including one for the middle seat position. It's worth a call to your CA to confirm.

From the manual:

"There are three mounting points for the upper
retaining strap of LATCH child restraint fixing
systems."
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Zoo54924
Getting there...
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsa View Post
never tried the britax in the middle with latch. it looks like the latch points are only intended for seats placed on either side. at worst, you could use the car seat on one side and fit 2 more folks in the back seat. middle person might not be happy, but there's not a ton of room back there.

to the OP, sunshine (sp?) carseats are designed to be narrow to fit 3 across, so you may want to look at those.
I second the SUNSHINE. I have one in my car and I can still easily fit two more adults in the back row.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

On the X3 (F25) only the two outer positions are safe to use with LATCH tether anchors. BMW specifically prohibits using the lower latch anchors in the center position. The two side locations use the industry standard 11.02-inch center-to-center spacing. In the center seating position, the LATCH anchors are spaced at 16 inches which will let the child seat slide laterally in a crash and could be very dangerous. The center, over the seat upper LATCH tether can be used, but only with the center seat-belt securing the child seat.

Please see attached PDF for details.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Center Seat LATCH.pdf (103.6 KB, 2008 views)

Last edited by Lotus7; 08-17-2011 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

Actually, you're referring to the top latch points which are behind the seats and there are 3. The bottom latch points are the main achors and the top keeps the seat more stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Quote:
Look at pages 55-57 of the Owner's Manual, available online at BMWUSA.com.
It appears that there are three possible LATCH positions, including one for the middle seat position. It's worth a call to your CA to confirm.

From the manual:

"There are three mounting points for the upper
retaining strap of LATCH child restraint fixing
systems."
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
You can use it but ONLY with a center seat belt for the lower anchor. NOT the center lower LATCH anchors. Please read the PDF attached to my previous post (No. 7).

Last edited by Lotus7; 08-17-2011 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
rpiopio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2011 X3 , 2000e39

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Wow. Didn't know about that center seat no-no. I better move the seat to one side.
      08-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
bairen
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 5.0

Lots of good info.

In practice is it really less safe to use the center seat belt with the top anchors vs. the left/right LATCH anchors + top anchor?

I'm guessing the best solution is to attach the child seat to the left / right rear, and occasionally move it to the center using the center seat belt when 2 adults need to sit in the back.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #12
Niva
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon to be X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairen View Post
Lots of good info.

In practice is it really less safe to use the center seat belt with the top anchors vs. the left/right LATCH anchors + top anchor?

I'm guessing the best solution is to attach the child seat to the left / right rear, and occasionally move it to the center using the center seat belt when 2 adults need to sit in the back.
My understanding is that the main safety benefit with LATCH is that a proper installation is a lot more likely because many people do not properly install their seats using the seatbelt. Sort of like the birth control pill vs implant. Theoretically both are 99% effective but in practice people forget the pill etc.

For me the main benefit is ease of use as we move the seat in and out frequently. If you install and then leave it in the middle position it should work for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairen View Post
Anyone have recommendations on child seats to use for the x3, specifically to maximize space for other people that may need to sit in the rear?

For example, is it possible to use a front-facing car seat for a 3-4 yr old in the middle of the back seats?

Are there other narrow kid seats that people recommend?

(I tried searching for this info on the x3 forum, but didn't come up with anything relevant)
Surely your priority is the safety and comfort of your children? Best place to seek advice is usually the parent / baby shops where the staff have training in this area. In the UK, the Mothercare chain is one example that provides this service.
Appreciate 0