Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-31-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
Blofelds_cat
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: April '11 sDrive 18

sDrive 18 in winter conditions

Hi all,

Just joined the community. A week ago ordered an sDrive 18 with delivery mid April 2011.

Does anyone has an experience of an sDrive in heavy snow and ice conditions? We are getting more and more snow after ten years of mild winters and looks like that parking in 20 cm. of heavy snow will be a 5 month reality for me in coming years

I am thinking of Hakka 5 or Hakka 7 spike tyres (yes, spikes are legal in Russia, at least they are not banned yet), but a bit anxious about reardrive after 9 years of front-drive cars.

Any feedback regarding sDrive in heavy winter conditions is appreciated.

AND HAVE A NICE 20X11
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 04:28 AM   #2
jaxxsson
A man's reflection
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

hello,

I have ab Sdrive 18d and I must say it performs quite well in Winter conditions.

was driving here with 15 cm of snow with winter tyres and had no problems.

You don't have to worry if you don't do crazy

grtz
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 05:13 AM   #3
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Hello Blofelds and welcome aboard...

This has been discussed extensively on a another thread "Winter Tires". , including 2WD X1 like yours, spiked tires, All Season M+S etc etc...

The thread is still active, so I suggest your peruse the 3 pages where I'm sure you will find answers (several ofthem probably ! ) to your question.

What colour combo did you order your X1 with btw ?
      12-31-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Blofelds_cat
Russian Federation
Rep

Hi Keeper,

I've seen the thread regarding winter tyres, but I had an impression most of the X'es are xDrive and my budget fits only reardrive, so I am mostly interested in feedback from sDrive owners.

As for the specs I ordered, we have a possibility to order a car from Leipzig and configurate it as we wish or we can order an SKD car from Kaliningrad, a small city in Russia, where BMW has an assebly line.

If you choose an SKD car then it's much cheaper then configuring it and bringing from Germany. The bad side - you can not add any options to a fixed config.

So mine is a fixed config - sdrive 18i Urban, gray space, median black saloon with black glossy lining, automatic tranny, BMW professional audio, heated seats, rear parking sensors, etc.
Again because of the fixed config the choice of colors was very narrow, dealer offered only black, white, gray and red cars

So mine will be gray as a british cat
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Actually there seems to be a good balance of S and X owners on the forum.

Well, gray is my color ! Good choice (so tospeak!). We look forward to the pictures since ....
Attached Images

12-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blofelds_cat View Post
Hi all,

Just joined the community. A week ago ordered an sDrive 18 with delivery mid April 2011.

Does anyone has an experience of an sDrive in heavy snow and ice conditions? We are getting more and more snow after ten years of mild winters and looks like that parking in 20 cm. of heavy snow will be a 5 month reality for me in coming years

I am thinking of Hakka 5 or Hakka 7 spike tyres (yes, spikes are legal in Russia, at least they are not banned yet), but a bit anxious about reardrive after 9 years of front-drive cars.

Any feedback regarding sDrive in heavy winter conditions is appreciated.

AND HAVE A NICE 20X11
Hi BC, Welcome on this forum, a mine of good info on the X1

Quick answer to your question, Get winter tyres before you try anything serious in snow.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Absolutely.

To answer your question in a nutshell BC, and as an SDrive 20d user (Yeah yeah I don't own it,it's my wife's... ), I can tell you that 2 Winter Nokian tires (yep, not even 4!) got me out of trouble every time whether on ice or deep (that is for our French Winter... 15 cms give or take) snow, including starting uphill from a full-stop.

Now of course a Moscow Winter might be a different ball game.
Yet, a set of 4 Nokian should get the job done. I don't see spike tires making a huge difference on a 2WD unless you are driving on pure ice.
(I went thru more than 10 Canadian Winters with RWD cars -Crown Victorias, Caprices and Magnums- geared with PosI Traction and Winter tires, and only got stuck when there was just too much snow for the cars' ground clearance).
      12-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Blofelds_cat
Russian Federation
Rep

OK, guys, looks like I am getting too exited about my new ride Last time I was driving a reardrive was 10 years ago and that was LADA (if you know what I mean)
I hope by the time I get my X1 all snow will be more or less gone in Moscow so my first pics will be just water and mud in the streets, but next winter I promise good snowy pics of parking in deep snow

BTW, in my country it's not allowed by law to use different tyres on our cars (for example summer on front and winter on rear), so for me it's no alternative - ONLY winter tyres in winter, we usually change from summer to winter beginning of november and back middle of april.

And finally, to sum up, sDrive handles nicely in winter on winter tyres
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blofelds_cat View Post
OK, guys, looks like I am getting too exited about my new ride Last time I was driving a reardrive was 10 years ago and that was LADA (if you know what I mean)
I hope by the time I get my X1 all snow will be more or less gone in Moscow so my first pics will be just water and mud in the streets, but next winter I promise good snowy pics of parking in deep snow

BTW, in my country it's not allowed by law to use different tyres on our cars (for example summer on front and winter on rear), so for me it's no alternative - ONLY winter tyres in winter, we usually change from summer to winter beginning of november and back middle of april.

And finally, to sum up, sDrive handles nicely in winter on winter tyres
Yep, I disagree with Gatekeeper that you only need winter tyres on the drive wheels. You should ALWAYS fit exactly the same type of tyres on all four corners. Failing to do this will cause the cars handling profile to change. That's why it's the law there and recommended by the AA, RAC, etc, etc
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Yep, I disagree with Gatekeeper that you only need winter tyres on the drive wheels. You should ALWAYS fit exactly the same type of tyres on all four corners. Failing to do this will cause the cars handling profile to change. That's why it's the law there and recommended by the AA, RAC, etc, etc
Ditto.
      01-01-2011, 05:10 AM   #11
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Good for you if you want to do install 4 tires, all the better.

But I can tell you for having driven quite a few cars (FWD and RWD) with Winter tires on drivetrain only that it NEVER changed the handling one bit on normal, wet and dry pavement.

On ice and snow, as I have already written earlier, a RWD might behave like a FWD and oversteer (the enhanced rear traction prevents the rear end from fishtailing, "pushing" the front end which has less traction). Well, you test, you adapt your driving style.

I'm not saying it might not alter handling on certain cars, I'm saying on a dozen different models I drove it never brought any noticeable change (MUCH LESS on a FWD).

(The same way mounting 2 non R/F in front on my wife former Cooper Clubman did not change anything at all in the handling, although everybody and his dog including the BMW dealer said it "would". Well it didn't.)

So fair enough for whatever these associations do recommend, but in my opinion their recommandations always seem to steer towards the most costly option which will bring extra biz to the aftermarket car parts industry.
      01-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post

Good for you if you want to do install 4 tires, all the better.

But I can tell you for having driven quite a few cars (FWD and RWD) with Winter tires on drivetrain only that it NEVER changed the handling one bit on normal, wet and dry pavement.

On ice and snow, as I have already written earlier, a RWD might behave like a FWD and oversteer (the enhanced rear traction prevents the rear end from fishtailing, "pushing" the front end which has less traction). Well, you test, you adapt your driving style.

I'm not saying it might not alter handling on certain cars, I'm saying on a dozen different models I drove it never brought any noticeable change (MUCH LESS on a FWD).

(The same way mounting 2 non R/F in front on my wife former Cooper Clubman did not change anything at all in the handling, although everybody and his dog including the BMW dealer said it "would". Well it didn't.)

So fair enough for whatever these associations do recommend, but in my opinion their recommandations always seem to steer towards the most costly option which will bring extra biz to the aftermarket car parts industry.
Ok, I agree to differ I do tend to spend a bit more than I should on my cars but I don't care, its one of my hobbies.

Then I suppose me spending 300euro on car wax is a bit OTT
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

01-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, my wife is moaning. My car products cost more than her face products
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Probably because she's naturally beautiful and doesn't need any enhancement
      01-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
Blofelds_cat
Russian Federation
Rep

But usually TCO of the car is lower
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #17
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Probably because she's naturally beautiful and doesn't need any enhancement
Thanks, I will use that line next time
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Mario, for you, anytime bro !