01-20-2011, 04:00 AM   #23
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6er View Post
Guys, dowe know if the X1 coming this spring to Canada will have the in-line 6 cylinder or the turbo 4? my SA told me that I can put in my order this March for April delivery....BMW showed the 28i with the 6 cylinder engine in Montreal Autoshow, so which engine Canadians are getting this spring? could it be the 6 then 2012 for the turbo 4!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mprofiler View Post
From this article it seems as though NA X1s won't get the 4 banger? Is it true?

http://wot.motortrend.com/four-1-bmw...-x1-24599.html

"BMW officials tell us that this engine won’t be offered in U.S.-spec X1s, but confirm this engine is destined for the U.S. in other models. We’ve already heard the Z4 roadster is due to receive this engine sometime next year, but knowing BMW’s knack for dispersing engines across its portfolio, there’s a good chance we’ll see it in volume models like the 1- and 3 Series lines."
I have said this before, I highly doubt BMW will launch with a 4-cyl in NA. Historically they have never offered the small engines in that market. And it is a market that likes big engines. Also going by recent press releases they expect to sell 2000 X1's in Canada and 8000 in the USA per year Even if these figures are conservative they are small compared to European sales which alone topped 70 000 in the first year. Europe is far more likely to get the small eco-engines first and seeing as they will also be available in the other models supply will be limited, initially anyway.

So I stand with my original opinion that BMW will launch with a I6 2.8 Xdrive in auto. Following up with variations on this, say 2.5i/3.0i/3.5i. The T4 may follow eventually but its not going to be this year.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela

Last edited by mario486; 01-20-2011 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #24
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Mario my man, I'm with you on this one !
      01-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #25
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Definitely looks that way. So we can probably expect the 2.0T in the following model year I assume.
      01-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #26
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
I have said this before, I highly doubt BMW will launch with a 4-cyl in NA. Historically they have never offered the small engines in that market. And it is a market that likes big engines. Also going by recent press releases they expect to sell 2000 X1's in Canada and 8000 in the USA per year Even if these figures are conservative they are small compared to European sales which alone topped 70 000 in the first year. Europe is far more likely to get the small eco-engines first and seeing as they will also be available in the other models supply will be limited, initially anyway.

So I stand with my original opinion that BMW will launch with a I6 2.8 Xdrive in auto. Following up with variations on this, say 2.5i/3.0i/3.5i. The T4 may follow eventually but its not going to be this year.
According to a Jan 18th article in The Car Connection (see url below), it is the 4 cyl 2.0L twin-turbo which debuted in Montreal this week and will be the only 2.8 offered in Canada and the USA.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/mart...n-x1-xdrive28i
      01-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #27
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Mario my man, I'm with you on this one !
Youse guys are just jealous that we'll be getting the TwinTurbo Four.
      01-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #28
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Ah !
Cheap shot !

Mind you, you can always LISTEN TO IT while parked on the Gardiner, while we lucky you-row-pee-an gentlemen are gliding at 170 km/h driving our Diesel mills on our beautiful highways !

01-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #29
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Ah !
Cheap shot !

Mind you, you can always LISTEN TO IT while parked on the Gardiner, while we lucky you-row-pee-an gentlemen are gliding at 170 km/h driving our Diesel mills on our beautiful highways !
Aha, but vous etes very mistaken mon ami.

I am retired and therefore only cruise the DVP and Gardiner in mainly non-rush hours.

And nous are picking up our X1 in Munich and so will be listening to zee turbos sing an der autobahn next Septembre.

Aha.

01-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #30
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Enjoy !
      01-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #31
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
According to a Jan 18th article in The Car Connection (see url below), it is the 4 cyl 2.0L twin-turbo which debuted in Montreal this week and will be the only 2.8 offered in Canada and the USA.

Oh this is wonderful! "A six-speed manual is fitted as standard..." Thanks for posting that.

I test drove the new Countryman twice (two weeks ago and again yesterday) and just can't get myself to like it. Last night I needed to drink a few glasses of wine to dull the depressed feeling I had. Tonight I'll drink to this article being true!

Now if you just tell the authorities that I'm your long-lost-brother and let me use your address on the paperwork, I'll come up there right now and order one!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #32
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Antbody know the answer to this? When BMW gets an engine approved through the EPA do they have to get every variation of it approved. For example the 2.8 in the 1, X3 and 5 series all have different outputs so does each one get hit with the cost of going through the approval process. I was wondering if we might see the 2.0 turbo 4 in the Countryman JCW version if its already approved for several BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #33
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Antbody know the answer to this? When BMW gets an engine approved through the EPA do they have to get every variation of it approved. For example the 2.8 in the 1, X3 and 5 series all have different outputs so does each one get hit with the cost of going through the approval process. I was wondering if we might see the 2.0 turbo 4 in the Countryman JCW version if its already approved for several BMW's.
As far as I know the answer is no, they only need a single variant approved hence the different versions of the I6 3.0 petrol for example.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela

Last edited by mario486; 01-20-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #34
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

Hi Carnut, with respect....we will see. At this stage all the articles I have read, including the one you mention, reference a single source publication by a car hack from MotorAuthority.com. Nothing I have seen is official from BMW. In fact the original source says that the X1 will only arrive in the USA in 2012!

I concur that BMW have stated that the launch vehicle for the T4 will be the X1 but nowhere have they said that this will be in Canada/USA. They do say that it will be in the 2.8i but again BMW are well known for branding cars differently in different parts of the world. Yes the I6 will dissappear, eventually, but I still stand by what I said.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #35
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I concur that BMW have stated that the launch vehicle for the T4 will be the X1 but nowhere have they said that this will be in Canada/USA. They do say that it will be in the 2.8i but again BMW are well known for branding cars differently in different parts of the world. Yes the I6 will dissappear, eventually, but I still stand by what I said.
I won't speculate about Canada, but for the US, I strongly, strongly doubt that they will bring the I6 X1 2.8 over. The reason is that they would then have to crash test the vehicle with both engines (since the engine effects crumple zones) for US certification and it does not make sense to spend the money twice for what would almost surely be just a few months of production anyway.

I'm still unclear on the date of the worldwide debut for the X1 turbo 4 cyl, but I would guess that if it does happen before the Canadian release date, then Canada will indeed get it as well. However, that's just my guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #36
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I won't speculate about Canada, but for the US, I strongly, strongly doubt that they will bring the I6 X1 2.8 over. The reason is that they would then have to crash test the vehicle with both engines (since the engine effects crumple zones) for US certification and it does not make sense to spend the money twice for what would almost surely be just a few months of production anyway.

I'm still unclear on the date of the worldwide debut for the X1 turbo 4 cyl, but I would guess that if it does happen before the Canadian release date, then Canada will indeed get it as well. However, that's just my guess.
Yep, we will see. BMW don't seem to want to commit to anything yet, even for Canada. I am not sure they are decided yet either.

If I lived in NA I would be shouting to have the 2.0d engines, they are absolutely brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #37
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

New T4 to launch in Geneva in March

Apparently the official launch of the new X1 2.8i with the T4 (N20) engine is in Geneva in March. Order books open at this time as well so I suspect that first deliveries to be around July. No word yet whether we are going to see it in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #38
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Apparently the official launch of the new X1 2.8i with the T4 (N20) engine is in Geneva in March. Order books open at this time as well so I suspect that first deliveries to be around July. No word yet whether we are going to see it in the UK.
Is that going to be a 2011 MY or a 2012 MY?
      02-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #39
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Is that going to be a 2011 MY or a 2012 MY?
We are getting MY2012 when it comes here in a few months.
      02-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #40
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Hot damn!
      02-02-2011, 05:03 AM   #41
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Don't think it will officially be MY12 as the factory changeover between MY11/12 takes place in September if my memory serves me rightly. This is a new model so does not really matter anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #42
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Don't think it will officially be MY12 as the factory changeover between MY11/12 takes place in September if my memory serves me rightly. This is a new model so does not really matter anyway.
We shall see. I hate to always be right 'tho.

You are correct about the factory line shutting down and all the EC's being implemented when it starts up, but I think that Marketing calls the shots on what "year" a car is and I was told that it will be a 2012 from the start here in Canada.

I was hoping that they would have done the same thing for my 2007 E93 back in April 2007 but it didn't turn out that way.
      02-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #43
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Au contrare mon ami.
The MY designation will have an impact on future resale values, nes't pas?
      02-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #44
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
When it comes to new model introductions, any date is possible, really. Consider the recent X3 and 5 series for example.

Plus, my understanding is that, in Europe, they typically don't distinguish model years from build years as a matter of practice like we do in North America. So the September factory changeover is not necessarily a factor in what BMW NA calls the car and what the VIN reads. Just as important to note is the fact that BMW often makes major changes during the February/March timeframe as well.

More and more, it seems most likely to me that all X1 28i built from March on will have the T4 rather than the N52 I6. In other words, I don't think they'll overlap T4 and I6 production. And in turn, my feeling is that any X1 with a turbo 4 in it will be called a MY2012 in North America.
Appreciate 0