XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #23
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

I know this' OT, but does anybody get the Grand Coupe concept? It's kind of like a Mini I saw the other day; a regular mini with a little baseball cap looking roof. Half as much utility for more money.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette
I know this' OT, but does anybody get the Grand Coupe concept? It's kind of like a Mini I saw the other day; a regular mini with a little baseball cap looking roof. Half as much utility for more money.
It's probably what we'll replace our X1 with. The 4GC adds the practicality of a hatch to the 3er sedan without giving up a lot of headroom. Plus it's available with rwd and the N55 or hopefully the new 6 by next year.

We'd likely do a 335i/340i sDrive F31 if they offer it, but it's nice to know the F36 is already available.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #25
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Xdrive 28i

I personally could not feel the difference in acceleration between a 328i and a X1 28i, other than the 328i sounds a lot more aggressive. I drove both to 120mph, and the 328i might be a little more willing to keep accelerating at above 110mph. Just had a stop light beef with a late model MB C350 in my Xdrive 28i, and I was reeling him in by the the end of 2nd gear....did it have 300 horses? BMW just don't want to over advertise the cheapest model, and most car magazines are simply copying BMW's official claims.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #26
MrT-Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-Sport

Personally, I'm especially annoyed with reviews (and there seem to be several of them) that suggest I should have gotten a 328 wagon instead of X1. I had zero interest in the wagon.

Not because I'm a dumb North American consumer and I have a bizarre and inexplicable wagon aversion, but

a) I specifically wanted a car that's a bit elevated off of the ground;
b) the 328 wagon costs considerably more than the X1;
c) I live in a crowded city and the wagon, with its added length, would have been harder to park;
d) and yes, I do like the looks of the X1 more than the wagon.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #27
NumberSix
Veloce
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future X1???

Mr T-Man:

You da man on da throne!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #28
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT-Man View Post
Personally, I'm especially annoyed with reviews (and there seem to be several of them) that suggest I should have gotten a 328 wagon instead of X1. I had zero interest in the wagon.

Not because I'm a dumb North American consumer and I have a bizarre and inexplicable wagon aversion, but

c) I live in a crowded city and the wagon, with its added length, would have been harder to park;
That is the one thing many don't get. An added foot in overall length can make in-city parking more difficult.

The US needs more premium vehicles with shorter lengths. Glad to see this segment finally growing.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #29
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well said!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #30
MrT-Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Mr T-Man:

You da man on da throne!
...and my throne is a highly-adjustable oyster-leather sports seat, with lumbar support and great side bolstering!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #31
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
It is mislabeled as an SUV. It is a hatchback. I guess Americans don't want to spend 40k for a hatchback though thus the SAV misnomer.
I agree. I actually wanted a wagon. If I had my way I'd trade the X1 and the 135i in for a 335i Sport Wagon with a manual transmission and RWD. Ah, to dream....

After seeing a 4GC next to a 3er, I would rather have the 4GC. I think the hatchback makes it a lot more usable, the only trade off is the MASSIVE C pillar that impedes rear visibility.

Last edited by Mr Kleen; 09-16-2014 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #32
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
I'm not all squashed up, I just need an upright seating position or else I get terrible back pain after about 5 minutes of driving. Most of my previous cars were 2 seat sports cars, but I can't drive those anymore due to my bad back.

So when I was shopping for a car, my goal was to get a car that is as close to a sports car as possible, but with the upright seating position.

I guess the seat has a lot of vertical travel. My biggest issue with most regular cars is not that the seat does not go high enough, but I'm 6 ft tall and I would have no head room in most cars with the seat in a higher position. In the X1 I have the seat most of the way up, and still have plenty of head room. I also have the seat most of the way back as well, and the steering wheel is in the highest and most telescoped position. I am very comfortable and have plenty of room, but yes there is not much rear seat room. But that doesn't matter to me. I'd buy a 2 seater if they made something I found comfortable.

I think the X1 is the best bang for the buck in this segment, but there are nicer cars that can be had for more money. If money were no object, I think the Porsche Macan would be calling my name, or maybe even the new GLA45 AMG.
Lol, I love these reviews! They are keeping the X1 a "secret" all the better!
I just read the comments on TFLcar about the X1. They complain about the price being almost $50k on the test car and ask what it competes against.
Short answer? Nothing.
I did my homework. My well equipped, deliberately base trim, 35i XDrive has all the performance and was MSRP at $45k. Stock it is faster than a Porsche Cayenne GTS and BMW's own X3 (330pounds heavier) and the X5 (except the M).
With my warrantied Dinan stage 2 I was out the door for under $45k with 355 hp, 400tq, and 3890 pounds. That puts it faster than a Macan S or a GLA 45 AMG. Both those cars are over $20k more! The Macan Turbo same "build" spec, about double the cost!

No small SUV can touch it for performance with a warranty near that price. Sub 5 second 0-60 and low 13 quarter mile for $45k as a SAV?? No comparison I could find...

Not a raving fanboy, let me know of any SUV that is faster, for even close to that money, with a warranty...

Yes, the 335i sedan is faster, but at almost $10k more without the utility. The SAV has enough clearance to plow through snow and not crunch itself at speed over dips and other obstructions in daily "sporting" drives. Plus the extra room and higher view (nice for traffic) compared to a sedan.
If you don't want an SAV/SUV, get a sporty car (lighter/faster). My 2cents.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #33
BlackJackel
Private
Rep

BTW, I have had, like many of you, several sports cars and sedans in my life. So you know what I mean about "crunching it". Real streets are much less forgiving (& expensive on parts like air dams, etc) than the track .
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:45 AM   #34
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

BTW, both the GLA45 AMG and the Porsche Macan S start at under 50k. So if you are comparing stripped cars, then that would be your starting price point.

As for handling, I'm guessing the X1 can probably out handle the GLA, but the Macan is supposed to handle far better than any SUV on the market. It's a more expensive vehicle, but you probably get what you pay for.

As for me, my X1 was MSRP 37k, and I got it for 33k with the tech package (navigation is a must for me). There was nothing else in that price range that was comparable. The only other luxury brand SUVs that were available were all well over 40k. Now the Q3 and GLA are out, so there are some other options, but last year they were not for sale in the US.

As for future cars, I'm kind of liking the look of the new X2 that is supposed to come out in a couple of years. I hope they release it in a 3-door like the Evoque. I could see myself in one of those.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 02:32 AM   #35
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
All the early reviews of the Macan are good. It will be interesting to see how well they hold their value, because I'm not willing to pay brand new Porsche price for one.

Pro: my neighbor has one on order
Con: it's the diesel
      09-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #36
NumberSix
Veloce
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future X1???

We're waiting on delivery of ours.
It is in the ethos, the "Production Begins" phase.

I saw my first (yes, first) X1 on public roads yesterday and I'm still in love. Almost every X is a 3 or a 5. Oh, I've figured out how to spot an X1 from the front: the hood line is straight across the width whereas the 3 and 5 form around the headlights.

The Countryman S is a good alternative if you're looking for a sporty car, otherwise, the Mercedes GLK will give you a similar engine and slightly larger interior. We have a GLK and are happy with it, but I couldn't see owning 2 of the same make/model so the X1 335i was our chariot of choice for the second vehicle.

Oh, yeah we wanted a 3 series wagon, but we did not want the 4 cylinder engine and the lowered ride height (makes it difficult to go through snow drifts). That said, we love our 5 series wagon.

Last edited by NumberSix; 09-18-2014 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #37
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
All the early reviews of the Macan are good. It will be interesting to see how well they hold their value, because I'm not willing to pay brand new Porsche price for one.

Pro: my neighbor has one on order
Con: it's the diesel

Yup, the Macan is well worth the dollars. You simply cannot compare the X1 to it because they are different classes IMHO. I priced out a Macan to how I want it, and it came to US$68k. That is $19k more than the sticker on my 2015 X1 but with the Macan, you will likely be paying MSRP (or more) right now. That $19k buys you a much nicer interior, drivetrain, performance, and size (if that is your thing). In terms of looks, both the X1 and the Macan look somewhat odd IMHO but not necessarily in a bad way. For me, it boiled down to future maintenance. For X1's based off the E90, parts and tech are well established. No problem getting repairs or parts. The Macan? If only 20% of parts is shared with the Q5, that means 80% may be hard to come by.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #38
jph1
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 28i xdrive

Hmmm. They option it from ~$32k to $47k, then mostly complain about what a horrible value it is. They get the msport package, low profile tires, then complain about the harsh ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #39
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:

I like the wagon a lot more. Everything but the price. It would be 10k more than my X1.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #40
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
Yup, the Macan is well worth the dollars. You simply cannot compare the X1 to it because they are different classes IMHO. I priced out a Macan to how I want it, and it came to US$68k. That is $19k more than the sticker on my 2015 X1 but with the Macan, you will likely be paying MSRP (or more) right now. That $19k buys you a much nicer interior, drivetrain, performance, and size (if that is your thing). In terms of looks, both the X1 and the Macan look somewhat odd IMHO but not necessarily in a bad way. For me, it boiled down to future maintenance. For X1's based off the E90, parts and tech are well established. No problem getting repairs or parts. The Macan? If only 20% of parts is shared with the Q5, that means 80% may be hard to come by.
Volkswagen owns Porsche. I don't think parts will be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #41
BlackJackel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
BTW, both the GLA45 AMG and the Porsche Macan S start at under 50k. So if you are comparing stripped cars, then that would be your starting price point.

As for handling, I'm guessing the X1 can probably out handle the GLA, but the Macan is supposed to handle far better than any SUV on the market. It's a more expensive vehicle, but you probably get what you pay for.

As for me, my X1 was MSRP 37k, and I got it for 33k with the tech package (navigation is a must for me). There was nothing else in that price range that was comparable. The only other luxury brand SUVs that were available were all well over 40k. Now the Q3 and GLA are out, so there are some other options, but last year they were not for sale in the US.

As for future cars, I'm kind of liking the look of the new X2 that is supposed to come out in a couple of years. I hope they release it in a 3-door like the Evoque. I could see myself in one of those.
AMG and Macan start at over loaded X1 price (and similar options add up fast $)

Getting what you pay for? No disagreement, but you ARE paying a lot more.

Agreed, the X2 would be cool.

BTW, the future X4M should be an even better option for the ~$70k "as tested" price range. Plus Dinan just made a 500+ hp tune for the M3/4 engine it will be using
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 05:27 AM   #42
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackel View Post
AMG and Macan start at over loaded X1 price (and similar options add up fast $)

Getting what you pay for? No disagreement, but you ARE paying a lot more.
This. Is it worth $19k more? Maybe. Will I pay $19k more? No thanks.

If I'm going to spend near $70k I'm going to get an M3 or a C7. Diff'rent Strokes...
      09-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #43
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Yes, the Macan seems to be more luxurious and powerful, but if you check through the options, it's easy to reach 80k. Base price for the 400HP model is 72k; over 20k over the 340HP version. I bought mine CPO with less than 6k miles for 33, and it's got everything I use, and a few things I don't. If I want 400 HP, it won't cost $22k.
Appreciate 0