XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
Beamer1980
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive28i

Instrument Cluster Issue

Hi Everyone,

In February my parking brake, ABS and traction control lights came on and stayed on for a couple of days. Took the car to my local BMW dealer and after a diagnostic, they said it was a bad instrument cluster and needed to be replaced, which they did at no cost to me as the car was under warranty.

Yesterday the lights came on again. I drove it to work and back and all the lights are still on. I'll be taking the car to the dealer later this week, and just wanted to see if anyone on the forum had experienced any similar issues.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #2
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Could be a wheel speed sensor. I had something similar in my e90 way back
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
Beamer1980
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Could be a wheel speed sensor. I had something similar in my e90 way back
Thanks for this.

I mentioned it to the dealer and they've confirmed that it's not the case. They've been having a hard time identifying the issue. The diagnostic that was done in February showed multiple errors and they claim this validated the fact that the instrument cluster was bad. This time, they are getting a general Can bus error that is not identifying clearly what the problem is. After trouble shooting for 3 days, they've raised a ticket with BMW corporate to resolve the issue.

I'll provide an update once I know what they come back with. Hopefully it'll help others on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had this in my 335, fuzes were popping and the ABS module was bad because of it. Find a member nearby that can pull codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
Beamer1980
Rep

After having the car for over a week, the dealer determined that the issue was caused by a bad junction box. They've replaced it and it seems to have solved the issue.

I just noticed that the rear driver side window isn't going up with one click anymore. Strange as I don't really drop that window much. I'll have to take it in for that but will wait until the next service to get it sorted.

I have 62,000 km on the car and it's just a few months shy of 3 years old. I've taken the car in for electrical issues 4 times thus far. The window issue will be 5. Feeling a bit concerned about keeping this car past warranty. Will be looking into the extended warranty options.
Appreciate 0