Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #23
Yurka
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, CLS55 AMG, E31 850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Given the costs in developing an X1M have proved impossible to support a business case. The M Performance X1 is seen as the next best thing.

Sharing the engine from the upcoming M135i Sporthatches will give the X1 M35i Sports car like performance and even so with the security of BMW xDrive.
The best thing is that the X1 is a great driving vehicle , compact and especially good to throw about in the snow. X1 M35i adds that little extra performance and M-engineered enhancements to make an already great car into even more exciting one.

There are plans for M Performance vehicles of the X3 and X4 which given their entry segment status could use a more powerful four cylinder diesel application.

The M Performance vehicles will be a substantial profit maker for BMW M Division. BMW M Performance will allow concepts you do not think of as M's to bring some level of Performance to their segment. Whilst allowing actual M cars to flourish more in Performance, innovation and individuality.

The M badge will be applied to the X3M as one cannot exist without the other and the other being the BMW X4.
Soon to appear in testing for the first time utilising the same element of disguise that kept the E71 X6 roofline from being discovered at first.

The X4 is seen as BMW's direct challenger to the upcoming Porsche Macan with the X4 inheriting its larger brother's swooping Coupe roofline and proportions but condensed to give a very distinctive commanding and athletic looking all-wheel-drive sports car.

The X4M will also inherit a distinctive appearance and Performance from the upcoming BMW M3/M4 along with some other technology which provides the X4M to be the most road orientated all-wheel-drive M model yet.
It makes me ecstatic to hear the X3M is still being developed.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #24
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

I don't like what BMW is doing with the M models. Too many M models. Plus how can they have SUV M models and not a M7?

The M brand tradition is going down the drain......

On another note....BMW is going to make X4s? Ridiculous! X6, X4, 5GT, 3GT, Grand Coupes.......what's next? Minivans?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #25
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Quote:
The Entry Performer

BMW X1 M 35i xDrive : M Performance.

Conceived like the BMW M135i Sporthatch. The X1 M35i xDrive will feature the same engine displacement of 320 bhp as well as an M tuned chassis and reworked suspension promising excellent sport-orientated dynamics. A refreshed aerodynamic package will bring the M Performance style of the Sporthatch to the X1. As do specific alloys and M Performance features such as specific seats and trim.

And like the M135i Sporthatch, the X1 M35i xDrive will be the flagship model for the X1. A full blown M model could not find a proper business case.

This puts the X1 M35i to compete against the forthcoming Audi q3 S-Performance model.

With the X1 being the most sporting looking SAV even amongst the bland anoymous Audi q3. The X1 will receive some restyled aerodynamics at the front and rear incorporating reprofiled intakes , new wheel options and new color choices. And Bringing the X1 into line with the 1er the X1 will also feature specifc model lines.

In the interior - the first term mistakes are corrected with visible higher quality materials and latest technology options.

For Europe BMW will add two new diesel models at the entry and higher end of the X1 - An updated X1 "EfficientDynamics"edition promising under 120g/km of CO 2. and a new X1 xDrive25d.
Sounds great but what about the X2?

I'm also please to note that BMW have accepted (at last ) that they made mistakes cutting the quality of the interior materials for the first generation X1's (accountant's 'pencil sharpening' went too far?). Will this mean some form of retro fit compensation for the 'early adopters'/initial loyal customers? I'm currently considering my next change of vehical and am being actively pursued by Porsche, Aston Martin (don't know why as I have never shown an interest in their cars), Infiniti (simply amazing deals on their 3.0d four wheel drive, quality plus cheaper than a loaded X1 M Sport!!) and of course Audi. It's going to be an interesting year.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #26
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Questions,Questions,Questions....

Quote:
I don't like what BMW is doing with the M models. Too many M models. Plus how can they have SUV M models and not a M7?

The M brand tradition is going down the drain......

On another note....BMW is going to make X4s? Ridiculous! X6, X4, 5GT, 3GT, Grand Coupes.......what's next? Minivans?
M needs more models to sustain its growth , the more M models that sell the more innovative and experimental M cars get and the brand itself - flourish as a fully fledged sub-brand.
M just could not survive with the M3 and M5 which was the case ten years ago. M is now globally recognised and global demand and no longer specifics determine the product strategy.

An M7 would be counterproductive as the BMW M5 and forthcoming BMW M6 Gran Coupe will do the job perfectly.

BMW are in the process of finishing development of the first FWD BMW - The 1er Compactive Sport Tourer - a cross between a Touring and MPV aimed at capturing the growth markets for this segment which are expected to grow to about 45% more. Think of the CST as a direct competitor for the Mercedes-Benz B-Klasse which BMW have been consulted by customers throughout Europe looking for such a concept from BMW.

You will see the CST as a Concept later this year but the latest Autobild have a fairly accurate render of the side and rear of the car - The front still needs work.

Quote:
Scott, Do you know if the X1 will still be produced in Leipzig or would it get moved to SC? Also, any word on the transmission? colors (any exclusive colors)?, packages (would love a contrasting stitching or bucket Recaro-style seats). Ah, dreams...
For the foreseeable future , Leipzig will be the base for the X1 and next generation model as it will share the modular platform with the small BMW family. No definite answer on transmission - the US will always want the manual, I suppose... Given that BMW are emulating their MINI brand with specific programmes and accessories which for MINI is very profitable and kept in check with full warranty without risk to it. I am sure the X1 will receive Performance accessories line.

Quote:
Scott, will the X4 and X4M have a bench rear seat? Please?!
I think we have learned the lesson with the X6 to offer the choice to the customer.

Quote:
Sounds great but what about the X2?

I'm also please to note that BMW have accepted (at last ) that they made mistakes cutting the quality of the interior materials for the first generation X1's (accountant's 'pencil sharpening' went too far?). Will this mean some form of retro fit compensation for the 'early adopters'/initial loyal customers? I'm currently considering my next change of vehical and am being actively pursued by Porsche, Aston Martin (don't know why as I have never shown an interest in their cars), Infiniti (simply amazing deals on their 3.0d four wheel drive, quality plus cheaper than a loaded X1 M Sport!!) and of course Audi. It's going to be an interesting year.
They are still deliberating over what to do with the X2 there is two choices - a 2dr Coupe-like variant of the next X1 which is cost-effective or a stand alone concept based from the idea for the "Y" series which uses the design language from the Z family with a raised driving position - think of the original X Coupe Concept but based on the 1er modular architecture. But effectively will be an AWD Coupe and not a sleeker SAV. And given BMW's tendencies to open a new niche could become the X2 offering something new to the segment.

We wont officially admit that the X1 has evidence of cost-effective trim officially but we are familiar and we do read the media reports. So every niggle and issue a customer directs to is rectified within the boundaries.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 02-18-2012 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #27
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
still don't get to use the names!!
      02-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #28
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

People have to stop complaining about the M brand. It's a business and businesses have simple goals: growth and profit. As Scott said you can't do that with just a m3 and m5.

Although one has to question how there is a business case for the full blown XMs but not a Z4M. Also with the RS3 sedan and CLC AMG both coming to the US with 350-360 hp you wonder if BMW has any plans for a similar car? 2 series gran coupe with full M treatment? Both the Audi and Mercedes are supposed to have AWD as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #29
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
"M550dxDrive Touring" That would get me out of bed in the morning...

I like the direction and the new models. The X1 is a nice (although very small) looking vehicle from outside and certainly fits the brand overall - but the interior looks pretty cheap. Now, compared to some of the other options on the market it isn't too bad... but still could be better and I'm sure they will address these things with the LCI.

Being a big fan of BMW I'm also glad to hear it is profitable. I still feel the value is there as these are the best driving vehicles available in their price range. In this economy, I'd hate to hear that the BMW brand was hurting and thinking of selling to another large manufacturer therefore losing it's soul. Nice to hear it's growing, solid, and has staying power. I for one will continue to support BMW. My only problem is I wish I earned enough to a) buy most of the current offerings including the M5, M6 Gran Coupe, X6M, etc (all at once) and b) to afford a 10-car garage to keep them all in!

I would love to see more diesel M-Performance vehicles make it to the US and Canada.
      02-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #30
Mako
Rep

I have not looked up what Dyno results are for the N55 engine but I remember on the N54 they were showing 320 horsepower at the crank already, so when BMW says their performance editions are 320 horsepower is there really a bump or just marketing? will these measure higher on the Dyno as well (like 340...).

With the figures the new i4 turbo is showing (270-285 horsepower, from Dyno) and with those versions being 200 pounds lighter than the N55 engine models it really makes you question if a M Performance like the X1 M35i is worth the $10K+ it will command. Kind of wish BMW would have made this a Diesel turbo i4 with 320 horsepower instead, that would have made a lot more sense, like the new 5 series, X5, X6 ones. Although then they wouldn't bring it to the US...

I am already kicking myself for not waiting 6 months to buy the X3 with the new i4 engine (little performance lost, can get all the same options and much better MPG, while saving $5K). I would find it hard to buy a 35i even in performance version, this engine needs upgrading to show the advantage over the new 28i (like 320 HP standard and 350-360 HP performance versions).
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #31
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

most of the consumers want to have M styling without the M performance. this gives them the option to look good without the M price tag. don't worry in time there be X1 M on the horizon for those who need to spend more $ to look even better. so enjoy, its ok people
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #32
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

4th quarter!?!?!?

By the time they get it here, they'll need something big to promote it because everyone else that was initially interested (in the US) when the model was released in Europe has probably given up and purchased something else...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #33
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
4th quarter!?!?!?

By the time they get it here, they'll need something big to promote it because everyone else that was initially interested (in the US) when the model was released in Europe has probably given up and purchased something else...
I'm definitely in this boat. We need to replace our E46 325i this year, and I've been eyeing the X1 ever since its release two years ago. The F30 328i is a possibility, but it's simply too big of a car. If the X1 slips any further, we'll probably pull the trigger on a CPO LCI E90.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #34
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako
I have not looked up what Dyno results are for the N55 engine but I remember on the N54 they were showing 320 horsepower at the crank already, so when BMW says their performance editions are 320 horsepower is there really a bump or just marketing? will these measure higher on the Dyno as well (like 340...).

With the figures the new i4 turbo is showing (270-285 horsepower, from Dyno) and with those versions being 200 pounds lighter than the N55 engine models it really makes you question if a M Performance like the X1 M35i is worth the $10K+ it will command. Kind of wish BMW would have made this a Diesel turbo i4 with 320 horsepower instead, that would have made a lot more sense, like the new 5 series, X5, X6 ones. Although then they wouldn't bring it to the US...

I am already kicking myself for not waiting 6 months to buy the X3 with the new i4 engine (little performance lost, can get all the same options and much better MPG, while saving $5K). I would find it hard to buy a 35i even in performance version, this engine needs upgrading to show the advantage over the new 28i (like 320 HP standard and 350-360 HP performance versions).
Yeah for sure. I hope when they bring the ///m performance to the 3/4 series line, including x3/4, it is sporting 350 hp. Anything less would be a waste.
      02-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #35
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

X1 will finally receive the normal BMW quality + some great new engines so these are really great news!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #36
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The image above is just the current X1 M Sport model, not the new X1 M35i / xDriveM35i model.
Ah, thanks. Obviously the X1 M Sport is not a sight we see here in the US

I'm interested in the interior upgrades Scott mentions. Since the E84 is based on the E9X, I'm guess there's only so much they can do as far as tech goes, i.e. no HUD, or nicer black instrument panel as on the F30, etc.

I guess the 28i model will get the N20 and 8HP ZF transmission? That could make for a nice little hauler.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #37
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

All I want to know is "When?"

...and how much, which transmission, what colors, etc.

Looking forward to this, I have to admit the Q3 Vail could tempt me away from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #38
meharris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i, 2006 330i (Gone)

Garage List
2020 BMW 330I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChaos View Post
Interesting! BMW has really got to clean up model names, that's just ridiculous.
+1 That name is a mouthful.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #39
X1 white pearl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28I xdrive 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Canada doesn't count as NA, either does Mexico. Not on BMW maps!
I think you need to check your geography my friend!!!!

Canada is in north america.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #40
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post

I guess the 28i model will get the N20 and 8HP ZF transmission? That could make for a nice little hauler.
Confirmed N20, and assumed 8AT transmission from ZF.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #41
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1 white pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Canada doesn't count as NA, either does Mexico. Not on BMW maps!
I think you need to check your geography my friend!!!!

Canada is in north america.
Guess you never heard of sarcasm "not on BMW maps"...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #42
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Quote:
Questions,Questions,Questions....

[I]M needs more models to sustain its growth , the more M models that sell the more innovative and experimental M cars get and the brand itself - flourish as a fully fledged sub-brand.
M just could not survive with the M3 and M5 which was the case ten years ago. M is now globally recognised and global demand and no longer specifics determine the product strategy.

An M7 would be counterproductive as the BMW M5 and forthcoming BMW M6 Gran Coupe will do the job perfectly.
I question the existence of the Grand Coupes in general. What is its purpose when you have a 5-series, 6-series coupe and a 7-series? M7 doesn't make sense but a X4, X4 M, X6 and X6 M does?

I didn't say BMW needs to have only M3s and M5s. I accept 1M, Z4M (if they had one), M7 (if they had one), M6. But I do not accept the idea of X1 M, X3 M, X5 M, X6 M (don't accept the whole X6), 6er Grand Coupe.

Not every model in the line up needs to have an M.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #43
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I'm definitely in this boat. We need to replace our E46 325i this year, and I've been eyeing the X1 ever since its release two years ago. The F30 328i is a possibility, but it's simply too big of a car. If the X1 slips any further, we'll probably pull the trigger on a CPO LCI E90.
Yup, I realize it has been a very successful model, but you would think they would have found a way to boost production to get them over here. I'm sure it would have been a big seller here too. Not sure about now. Then again, the general public in the USA probably wouldn't have a clue that the vehicle has been out for so long in other countries...

I guess we'll see!

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #44
cukoodukoo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GTS