XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Arrow Report: BMW X1 M35i xDrive (w/ LCI Facelift) to be First M Performance Vehicle for US

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The Entry Performer

BMW X1 M 35i xDrive : M Performance.

In preparing the Life Cycle Impulse for the BMW X1 a car that is still Europe's best selling All wheel drive vehicle as well as a huge seller for BMW, so much so that the North American market has been denied the opportunity twice due to strong demand across europe.

Sensing the opportunity to not only bring the X1 with the latest improvements, it will also be the opportunity to launch the BMW M Performance brand in the US. As the M Performance X5 and X6M50d will not come to the US market as well as the M550dxDrive and M550dxDrive Touring.

Another vehicle the US will miss out on will be the imminent BMW M135i which arrives first as a 3dr and 5dr Sporthatch and then with additional xDrive. Since the more US friendly Coupe and Cabrio models of the next generation are still someway off.

Which means that at the current time BMW do not have an official "M Performance" product for the US Market.

With the US finally to receive the Life Cycle Impulse (LCI) of the BMW X1 when it appears in the 4th quarter of this year. It will not only introduce the compact big selling SAV to the North American market with award winning, outstanding and efficient four cylinder twin-turbo power, but will also introduce the BMW M Performance brand to the US with a Six Cylinder turbo BMW X1 M35i xDrive (or X1 xDriveM35i as it may be called).

Conceived like the BMW M135i Sporthatch. The X1 M35i xDrive will feature the same engine displacement of 320 bhp as well as an M tuned chassis and reworked suspension promising excellent sport-orientated dynamics. A refreshed aerodynamic package will bring the M Performance style of the Sporthatch to the X1. As do specific alloys and M Performance features such as specific seats and trim.

And like the M135i Sporthatch, the X1 M35i xDrive will be the flagship model for the X1. A full blown M model could not find a proper business case.

This puts the X1 M35i to compete against the forthcoming Audi q3 S-Performance model.

Although the M Performance model is one highlight of the refreshed LCI X1, subtle changes bring the car up-to-date. Such as the typical update to the car's lighting involving LEDs and daytime running lights.

With the X1 being the most sporting looking SAV even amongst the bland anoymous Audi q3. The X1 will receive some restyled aerodynamics at the front and rear incorporating reprofiled intakes , new wheel options and new color choices. And Bringing the X1 into line with the 1er the X1 will also feature specifc model lines.

In the interior - the first term mistakes are corrected with visible higher quality materials and latest technology options.

For Europe BMW will add two new diesel models at the entry and higher end of the X1 - An updated X1 "EfficientDynamics"edition promising under 120g/km of CO 2. and a new X1 xDrive25d.

Given BMW's success with the first diesel X5 in the North American market and BMW's insistence to further diesel progress in the US. It is likely that the first four cylinder diesel in the US will be the X1 xDrive25d.
      02-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

Where this source from?
Reference?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Itgb
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoyuji View Post
Where this source from?
Reference?
Scott is the source.

Very interesting news. Finally the US will have options for sporty wagons/SAVs with good gas mileage. Can't wait to test drive the F31 & E84.
      02-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
That's a mouthful of a name...jeez. Personally, I think the X1 was already a good looking car so there is no doubt that the ///M additions are going to make it look better.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Holy long name Batman!

Looks like it would be a hoot, but still too high off the ground for my tastes.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Looks good. I wonder if tail lights get updated? They are already have the current them, the X6 was the last model needing LED light tube tails.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Looks good. I wonder if tail lights get updated? They are already have the current them, the X6 was the last model needing LED light tube tails.
The image above is just the current X1 M Sport model, not the new X1 M35i / xDriveM35i model.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
kahunacanuck
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35ix / 2013 335ix

Garage List
This isn't the North American debut of the X1, we have them in Canada already...I had one as a service loaner a couple of weeks ago...glad to see this model coming though!

Sold 2011.5 M3 E92 Mineral White/Rust Brown
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Canada doesn't count as NA, either does Mexico. Not on BMW maps!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

So is the rumored X1M now simply an X1 M35i?

Does this mean the rumored X3M will also only live under the M Performance family as an X3 M35i?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
CaptChaos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Grey

Interesting! BMW has really got to clean up model names, that's just ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 of Many

Why can't they just call it the X1M?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
Mexico is South America...
Mexico is not South America....

For your reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ican_countries
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post

Does this mean the rumored X3M will also only live under the M Performance family as an X3 M35i?
Given the costs in developing an X1M have proved impossible to support a business case. The M Performance X1 is seen as the next best thing.

Sharing the engine from the upcoming M135i Sporthatches will give the X1 M35i Sports car like performance and even so with the security of BMW xDrive.
The best thing is that the X1 is a great driving vehicle , compact and especially good to throw about in the snow. X1 M35i adds that little extra performance and M-engineered enhancements to make an already great car into even more exciting one.

There are plans for M Performance vehicles of the X3 and X4 which given their entry segment status could use a more powerful four cylinder diesel application.

The M Performance vehicles will be a substantial profit maker for BMW M Division. BMW M Performance will allow concepts you do not think of as M's to bring some level of Performance to their segment. Whilst allowing actual M cars to flourish more in Performance, innovation and individuality.

The M badge will be applied to the X3M as one cannot exist without the other and the other being the BMW X4.
Soon to appear in testing for the first time utilising the same element of disguise that kept the E71 X6 roofline from being discovered at first.

The X4 is seen as BMW's direct challenger to the upcoming Porsche Macan with the X4 inheriting its larger brother's swooping Coupe roofline and proportions but condensed to give a very distinctive commanding and athletic looking all-wheel-drive sports car.

The X4M will also inherit a distinctive appearance and Performance from the upcoming BMW M3/M4 along with some other technology which provides the X4M to be the most road orientated all-wheel-drive M model yet.
      02-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

For Europe BMW will add... a new X1 xDrive25d.

Given BMW's success with the first diesel X5 in the North American market and BMW's insistence to further diesel progress in the US. It is likely that the first four cylinder diesel in the US will be the X1 xDrive25d.
Awesome.

This replaces the current 23d model, yes? I sure hope they follow through and bring this stateside. It would be a killer option to have.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #16
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Cool. It might be a seller, although high performance compact crossovers are a brand new niche. Looks like a good looking car. Hopefully, not too much over 40K, ok?

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Scott, offered in manual trans?????
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Given the costs in developing an X1M have proved impossible to support a business case. The M Performance X1 is seen as the next best thing.

Sharing the engine from the upcoming M135i Sporthatches will give the X1 M35i Sports car like performance and even so with the security of BMW xDrive.
The best thing is that the X1 is a great driving vehicle , compact and especially good to throw about in the snow. X1 M35i adds that little extra performance and M-engineered enhancements to make an already great car into even more exciting one.

There are plans for M Performance vehicles of the X3 and X4 which given their entry segment status could use a more powerful four cylinder diesel application.

The M Performance vehicles will be a substantial profit maker for BMW M Division. BMW M Performance will allow concepts you do not think of as M's to bring some level of Performance to their segment. Whilst allowing actual M cars to flourish more in Performance, innovation and individuality.

The M badge will be applied to the X3M as one cannot exist without the other and the other being the BMW X4.
Soon to appear in testing for the first time utilising the same element of disguise that kept the E71 X6 roofline from being discovered at first.

The X4 is seen as BMW's direct challenger to the upcoming Porsche Macan with the X4 inheriting its larger brother's swooping Coupe roofline and proportions but condensed to give a very distinctive commanding and athletic looking all-wheel-drive sports car.

The X4M will also inherit a distinctive appearance and Performance from the upcoming BMW M3/M4 along with some other technology which provides the X4M to be the most road orientated all-wheel-drive M model yet.
Got it. So the X3 and X4 will get both the M Performance and ///M treatment, whereas the X1 just gets the M Performance badge.

As always, thanks for being so forthcoming with this stuff, Scott.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Scott, will the X4 and X4M have a bench rear seat? Please?!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #20
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post

So basically if my dream car is a Super performance compact sedan with AWD my best bet will be an X4M because Audi just said they are not going to make a RS4 sedan and Mercedes doesn't make an AWD AMG sedan either.

X1 M35i or X4M. Probably a $20k price difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #21
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
Mexico is South America...
Maybe you are confused with Latin America but definitely not South America
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #22
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI

I would do an instant ED for an Estoril Blue X1 M35i xDrive a nice 8-speed ZF w/paddles, Sport, Matte Trim and other goodies.

Scott, Do you know if the X1 will still be produced in Leipzig or would it get moved to SC? Also, any word on the transmission? colors (any exclusive colors)?, packages (would love a contrasting stitching or bucket Recaro-style seats). Ah, dreams...
Appreciate 0