XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #23
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

I had a hernia repair op last year, so was not allowed to drive for 3 weeks. The X1 was left on the drive for 3 weeks, and when I was allowed to get in it, it started 1st time.

My X1 does get a lot of use (100 miles a day Monday to Friday) so the battery would have been well charged.

Not left the car unused for anymore than 4 days since my op.

J.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #24
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineguv View Post
Like most others here, I just ensure the my cars are hooked up to a trickle charger if I'm going to leave them for periods of two weeks or more without use. Is it ideal?...no. Is it manageable?....I think so.
Now, I am ready to bet that if I leave my X1 on the front of the house in the winter I can kiss goodbye the start, I will probably get stuck too, since my reliable car is inside in front of it...

You should not leave the trickle charger ON. The charger should be disconnected after the battery is charged. I think is written even on the Trickle charger.

Not to mention, it is not wise to leave any electrical devices plugged when you are away.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #25
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Now, I am ready to bet that if I leave my X1 on the front of the house in the winter I can kiss goodbye the start, I will probably get stuck too, since my reliable car is inside in front of it...

You should not leave the trickle charger ON. The charger should be disconnected after the battery is charged. I think is written even on the Trickle charger.

Not to mention, it is not wise to leave any electrical devices plugged when you are away.
Nearly all trickle chargers have circuitry that shuts them off when the battery is charged. I think mine pulls about as much current as an alarm clock, certainly less than my amp or dvr's do even when "off".

If you really don't feel that your X1 is reliable, sell it. It's just a car and if there's something you don't trust about it, get rid of it. Lord knows most of us have sold cars for sillier causes.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Nearly all trickle chargers have circuitry that shuts them off when the battery is charged. I think mine pulls about as much current as an alarm clock, certainly less than my amp or dvr's do even when "off".

If you really don't feel that your X1 is reliable, sell it. It's just a car and if there's something you don't trust about it, get rid of it. Lord knows most of us have sold cars for sillier causes.
Yeap, you might be right except your DVR is not connected to a battery and sometimes things can go wrong, I have seen protection circuits that failed, I worked several years in electronics. Under any circumstances I will not leave my car plugged in while I am away. Never.

I am not saying I don't like the car, I am saying that I am starting not to like some stuff, for 21 century, those things are embarrassing for a such badge. Really. I have a 2006 Honda Accord, it has 12 000 km (twelve) sits around, it gets 2-3 longer rides a year and it never died. When it was -45C degrees and 6 years old the battery gave up, but even then I have recharge it and the car was goo to go. And I never charged the battery in six years except when I need it to go to buy a new battery from the dealership and have my annual oil changed. What about that?

We Love very much our X1 otherwise I wouldn't buy it, but I am really REALLY disappointed by this problem and I think it is a big embarrassment for a such brand.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #27
kbass
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

[QUOTE=skylineguv]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbass View Post
How about disconnecting the battery for long term parking? Does the car require constant battery connection?
The way the batteries are buried on BMW's these days I'd rather just keep a trickle charger on it.

Isn't the battery in the trunk? Not too hard to get to.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #28
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=kbass;14186169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineguv

The way the batteries are buried on BMW's these days I'd rather just keep a trickle charger on it.

During the NFL finals...

"Honey, can you get the X1 out of the garage? We need to put some stuff in this corner"
"Sure honey, I need to remove these covers in the trunk then reconnect the battery terminal.. Give me 20 minutes please... "

What a joke....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #29
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 WRX & 2013 X1

I left my X1 in the garage, unlocked, for two weeks and it started with no problem. I would say you have a bad battery or an electrical problem. Either way, you aren't getting anywhere by ranting over and over.

I am not sure why you are so upset about the RFT's. you knew they were on the car when you bought it (or should have). I you disliked them so much, you should have bought another Honda.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #30
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtpisgah View Post
I left my X1 in the garage, unlocked, for two weeks and it started with no problem. I would say you have a bad battery or an electrical problem. Either way, you aren't getting anywhere by ranting over and over.

I am not sure why you are so upset about the RFT's. you knew they were on the car when you bought it (or should have). I you disliked them so much, you should have bought another Honda.
I intend to go to the dealership and find out. AGAIN, the car started without any problems, but the battery level was very low.

Second: I knew I have RFT and they are on the original wheels, maybe ready to sell them. I bought M wheels and installed Non-RFT, a very good decision otherwise.
However, a car that is made to go outside a lot should have a spare. Show me a Sport Utility Vehicle with RFT. There is no freedom in RFT and the lack of spare. Not to mention you have few km to ride and you will just extend the agony if you are far or not in a big city, I wish you luck in finding a RFT at John`s little tire shop in the little city. My big city dealership had one tire when I had the puncture and it was for somebody else. ONE TIRE! See comments from Australian members in here that are running with the spare in the back.

And honestly, if the BMW is that kind of car that discharges by itself for no reason, I will buy whatever, maybe another Jaguar or something else. I rather have an Accord that takes me home from the ski resort than shivering around my beautiful X1.
I am a huge BMW fan but I will not hide the truth under arrogance or pride.
If you are not in the position of helping somehow, then stop suggesting what should I buy because that is not the point. The point is if there is a problem and how it can be fixed. You don't buy another house when you have draining problems, right?

I hope the next comments will focus on the issue itself because funny suggestions I treat them as such.

If I will find the problem I will post it in here, as I always did when I had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #31
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
And honestly, if the BMW is that kind of car that discharges by itself for no reason, I will buy whatever, maybe another Jaguar or something else. I rather have an Accord that takes me home from the ski resort than shivering around my beautiful X1.
I am a huge BMW fan but I will not hide the truth under arrogance or pride.
If you are not in the position of helping somehow, then stop suggesting what should I buy because that is not the point.
Need I point out you that you were the one who brought up other car brands here?
And you just did it again. Stop doing that, and others may stop recommending you follow your own suggestion.

Quote:
I hope the next comments will focus on the issue itself because funny suggestions I treat them as such.
If you're looking for solutions, I'm not sure you'll find any. Unless you do something like keeping your main or spare key in or near the car in which case there will be a higher battery drain because the car will never go to sleep.

Workarounds, though, if you can live with those, I can think of at least two obvious ones:
1: Buy a second battery.
2: Take your car on an extra highway drive every so often just to top off the battery.

Other than that, you can do some troubleshooting yourself too. Unplug a bunch of fuses overnight, and see whether the drain still occurs. If it does, try other fuses. If it doesn't, unplug just some of them the next night. In 3-5 days, you should have it narrowed down pretty well, with a minimum of work.
It could be a short, it could be a bad resistor - narrowing it down should help find the exact cause.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #32
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Yeah, you are right, I did, it was for the sake of comparison, nothing else.

The keyfob is, I will say... Maybe 10 meters away from the car, that will be the distance from the garage to my lobby.
I will not do it now, I charged the battery and I will be away for a few weeks, I asked that nobody start the car or move it until I get back to see. Then I intend to pay a visit to the dealership and see if they can read something or if the battery is defective. If no fault will be found I will proceed with the multimeter to see what I get.

Thank you Grovsnus

Last edited by Teutonic; 06-18-2013 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #33
kbass
Rep

[QUOTE=Tracus]
Quote:
Quote:

During the NFL finals...

"Honey, can you get the X1 out of the garage? We need to put some stuff in this corner"
"Sure honey, I need to remove these covers in the trunk then reconnect the battery terminal.. Give me 20 minutes please... "

What a joke....
Removing battery terminal for long term storage... Of course you wouldn't do this if you are constantly using the car. 20 min is worth it for when you get back after 6 months and can start your car. Common sense... Some people have none.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #34
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=kbass;14187591]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
Removing battery terminal for long term storage... Of course you wouldn't do this if you are constantly using the car. 20 min is worth it for when you get back after 6 months and can start your car. Common sense... Some people have none.
We are talking three four weeks mr. Not more. Read again if you missed the info.
Use that common sense in accordance with the case...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:51 AM   #35
GreatStarSe7en
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i Sport Line

I'm away outside US now, will return in another 2 weeks. Let's see what would happen to mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #36
kbass
Rep

[QUOTE=Tracus]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
We are talking three four weeks mr. Not more. Read again if you missed the info.
Use that common sense in accordance with the case...
Still worth it. Better than keeping it hooked up to the outlet. I have always wished that these new cars would have a battery kill switch installed at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #37
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Still worth it. Better than keeping it hooked up to the outlet. I have always wished that these new cars would have a battery kill switch installed at the factory.
I totally agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #38
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

[QUOTE=kbass;14186169]
Quote:

You hook it up in the engine compartment not the trunk. There is a red positive terminal and a negative engine mount(metallic) that literally takes a few seconds. You jump the car from the engine department as well.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #39
GreatStarSe7en
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatStarSe7en View Post
I'm away outside US now, will return in another 2 weeks. Let's see what would happen to mine.
My car started successfully, free of any errors.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #40
Lynxx
Rep
Drives: Nissan 300ZX now, X1 soon

Before you take your car in to a dealership:

Park your car in a dark garage or any place dark. Turn off the ignition, get out of the car, and lock the doors. Now look for any interior or exterior lamps that remain on. Especially take notice of the overhead interior dome lamp and the map reading lamp. You might have accidentally turned the lamp on and have forgotten to turn it off. And you can't see that it's on if there's any day light.

Does the X1 have a security system that includes a motion detector sensor, a glass breakage sensor, or a proximity sensor? I don't know because I still haven't ordered my X1 yet. Check your owner's manual if you're not sure. If it does, then it draws current from the battery when the ignition is off.

Dashboard clocks also draw current when the ignition is off but it's not enough to make your battery go dead after a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #41
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Bought a used 2000 BMW 528 from the dealer two years ago that only had 24,000 miles on it. It had a battery drain where the battery would go dead. It took the dealer a week to find it but it was the radio. They installed a new radio because somehow the radio was draining the battery after it was turned off. Never had a problem since.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #42
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

Update: Returned yesterday from five weeks abroad and the X1 started right up. I was even a little surprised.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #43
NormB
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Having read this discussion, I went out and slapped a sophisticated battery charger on my one month old 2014 X1. It assessed the level of charge as 75%. It took about an hour at a fast charge rate to bring the battery back to 100% charged.

Lead acid batteries do not like to sit at less than 100 charge. Not at all. It significantly shortens the battery like.

Planet BMW is certainly a strange place!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #44
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

As I promissed, I am back with the results.

I was away for three and half weeks, the X1 was locked in the garage (so the alarm set). I wanted to do this test, so before I left, the trickle charger was connected until the battery was fully charged.

Came back from Europe, the car start right up without any problems or any other errors on the display. A pleasant surprise.

However, I have connected again the original BMW trickle charger to see how much the battery discharged during this sitting period and how much time it needs to be fully charged again.

The battery was fully charged after exactly 12 hours.

In conclusion,the vehicle was good to go and able to run, but something it is using power even in stand by. Now, it is summer and the temperature in the garage was arround 18-20 degrees, sometimes warmer I presume. I don't know if the results will be the same under different circumstances, i.e. winter and some good minus degrees....

Last edited by Teutonic; 07-31-2013 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0