XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
x1GTA
Rep
Drives: 2012 x1

E84 DSC (4x4) TPMS Error - Solution

Hi All

I have a 2012 X1 xDrive28i with 22000km, which would show the DSC (4x4) error and TPMS warning after driving 5-10 minutes over 60km/h. The error would reset when the car was stopped and started.

The solution was a front end alignment, and steering angle sensor recalibration.

Explanation: TPMS (passive, based on wheel speed) thought the car was turning, when it was going straight. Expected a differential wheel speed, which was not there. TPMS warning subsequently disables DSC.

Hope this helps someone down the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Thanks. What is the steering angle calibration? Is that something the dealer can do?

I also had that error a few times but my charging system was flaky and voltage was dipping.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
x1GTA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
Thanks. What is the steering angle calibration? Is that something the dealer can do?

I also had that error a few times but my charging system was flaky and voltage was dipping.
The steering angle calibration can be reset by the dealer, or mechanic with the appropriate scanner.

I have also heard that calibration is lost if the battery is discharged or left disconnected for long enough (whatever that is). Then at startup, a warning light is displayed requiring recalibration. This involves turning the steering wheel lock to lock - then complete.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1GTA View Post
TPMS warning subsequently disables DSC.
I dont have tpms in my winter rims. Does that means my dsc is disabled? That can't be correct.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
x1GTA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
I dont have tpms in my winter rims. Does that means my dsc is disabled? That can't be correct.
In my case, I'm in Canada - TPMS is done by wheel speed only. There are no active sensors in the wheels of Canadian X1's (at least 2012).

In the case of a car with dedicated TPMS sensors, I'm not sure what the system response is to no sensors present.

edit: Furthermore, if DSC was disabled, you would certainly see a warning! So if you don't see a warning, all systems are "go"
Appreciate 1
Mirko182.00
      11-13-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
He is talking about when the warning lights do go off. Your car enters a limp mode and power is reduced. Restarting the car returns things back to normal but sometimes for not very long.
Appreciate 1
Mirko182.00