Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Need another tow hook

I have a bike carrier that has two lower straps. However the bumper is not sturdy enough to hook onto.

I got the bright idea of using the tow hook, but the dealer wants $50 Cdn for another one!

I might have to use the two rings inside the trunk/boot, but don't like the idea of the straps coming out and around the lower edge of the trunk/boot lid.

Suggestions welcome...........
      06-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
I have a bike carrier that has two lower straps. However the bumper is not sturdy enough to hook onto.

I got the bright idea of using the tow hook, but the dealer wants $50 Cdn for another one!

I might have to use the two rings inside the trunk/boot, but don't like the idea of the straps coming out and around the lower edge of the trunk/boot lid.

Suggestions welcome...........
No,no DC, get one off eBay, I found quite a few for sale. I did exactly the same thing for my bicycle rack, ie use two tow hooks. Works really well. I think the hook is fairly standard across the smaller BMW's. I got a whole toolkit, with the hook, from a 1-series and it's identical. Paid around £12 for it.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
No,no DC, get one off eBay, I found quite a few for sale. I did exactly the same thing for my bicycle rack, ie use two tow hooks. Works really well. I think the hook is fairly standard across the smaller BMW's. I got a whole toolkit, with the hook, from a 1-series and it's identical. Paid around £12 for it.
Thanks. I tried my 3series hook and it was smaller. I'll look for a 1er!

It's surprising the amount of plastic under there. Guess they don't build 'em like they used to.
      06-25-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

No they don't, and it's a blessing. People used to die horrendous deaths in those all-steel coffins they used to build.

Modern cars are energy-absorbers in case of an accident. Basically both ends will absorb as much energy as possible by deforming in a crash situation. Better the car than the body inside hé?
      06-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
No they don't, and it's a blessing. People used to die horrendous deaths in those all-steel coffins they used to build.

Modern cars are energy-absorbers in case of an accident. Basically both ends will absorb as much energy as possible by deforming in a crash situation. Better the car than the body inside hé?
Metal absorbs more energy than plastic in deformation. But yes, it is all about the design.

Back to topic, I spent yesterday in the rain tramping around a wrecker's yard looking for a tool kit. What a depressing place.
      06-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Metal absorbs more energy than plastic in deformation. But yes, it is all about the design.

Back to topic, I spent yesterday in the rain tramping around a wrecker's yard looking for a tool kit. What a depressing place.
I just thought of another option. Go to an engineering works and take your existing hook. Surely it will take all of 10min to make one.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just thought of another option. Go to an engineering works and take your existing hook. Surely it will take all of 10min to make one.
Thanks, but I'm probably going to bite the bullet and just buy one. Maybe from the US.
      06-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm probably going to bite the bullet and just buy one. Maybe from the US.
If you don't get any joy let me know, I could probably post one from here as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If you don't get any joy let me know, I could probably post one from here as well.
I just sent you a PM.
      06-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I just sent you a PM.
Just replied
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Broke down and bought one. Funny thing is that the parts guy said the 1series towing hinge (hook) is a different p/n, but the same price.

The X1 number is 72-15-7-184-971.