XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
cumulus
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Harman Kardon option - disappointed ?

I opted for the Harman Kardon option (I have it in my old 320d sedan), but can't help being a bit disappointed.
Here is a quote from BMW:

The X1 has eleven high-end sound transducers that have been optimally integrated in the vehicle interior. The special metal matrix diaphragms of the 4 x 26 mm tweeters and the four 2 x 100 mm midrange speakers have a sandwich structure made from an aluminum core with a ceramic surface and thus offer a top-class, high-fidelity musical experience. For the first time in a 1er BMW, a center loudspeaker was installed. An outstanding feature of this EDPL, in addition to its extremely flat construction, is its good dynamic range (in addition: no distortion factor, easily adjustable speaker direction, lightweight). The central bass function is carried out by two 2 x 217 mm subwoofers that are located on the right and left sides under the driver’s and passenger’s seats and pass their “good vibrations” directly to the listener.

I am starting to wonder if BMW has made a mistake when they built my car
I can find 9 of the said speakers, and guess all 11 are there somewhere, (why none in the rear doors?).

The end conclusion for me is that the now 10 year old 320d (sedan) Harman Kardon options sounds superior to the X1's. (I suppose it is easier to find optimal speaker placement in a sedan ..?);
Nice crisp well defined bass, as opposed to the wooly "baaooom" bass in the X1. I have played around at length with the equalizer, bass/treble settings, logic 7, but just can't "get there".

Anyone else with ther Harman Kardon option out there, who have an opinion about this ?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
boxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1

Hi cumulus
Sorry to hear the X1 Harman Kardon sound system isn't sounding as you'd like it to. Check out the thread below, there was some minor discussion on the Harman Kardon system:

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388437

Is it possible there's a fault with your sound system? I'm ordering the Harman Kardon system myself and hope it turns out OK. This is my first Beemer so I have nothing to coming to so I can't help you out in that regards sorry.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumulus View Post
I can find 9 of the said speakers, and guess all 11 are there somewhere, (why none in the rear doors?).
If you're looking for the underseat subwoofers, they're under that perfurated grills you have under both front seats.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep GC Overland

Quote:
I opted for the Harman Kardon option (I have it in my old 320d sedan), but can't help being a bit disappointed.
Here is a quote from BMW:

The X1 has eleven high-end sound transducers that have been optimally integrated in the vehicle interior. The special metal matrix diaphragms of the 4 x 26 mm tweeters and the four 2 x 100 mm midrange speakers have a sandwich structure made from an aluminum core with a ceramic surface and thus offer a top-class, high-fidelity musical experience. For the first time in a 1er BMW, a center loudspeaker was installed. An outstanding feature of this EDPL, in addition to its extremely flat construction, is its good dynamic range (in addition: no distortion factor, easily adjustable speaker direction, lightweight). The central bass function is carried out by two 2 x 217 mm subwoofers that are located on the right and left sides under the driver’s and passenger’s seats and pass their “good vibrations” directly to the listener.

I am starting to wonder if BMW has made a mistake when they built my car

The end conclusion for me is that the now 10 year old 320d (sedan) Harman Kardon options sounds superior to the X1's. (I suppose it is easier to find optimal speaker placement in a sedan ..?);
Nice crisp well defined bass, as opposed to the wooly "baaooom" bass in the X1. I have played around at length with the equalizer, bass/treble settings, logic 7, but just can't "get there".

Anyone else with ther Harman Kardon option out there, who have an opinion about this ?
I have it and certainly have never had a better system. Yes, id say the cabin would be a slightly tougher shape to satisfy than a sedan but the deep boom bass is just right for my taste... maybe if i listened to classical i wouldn't like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 04:55 AM   #5
cumulus
Rep

Yes, maybe it's not so bad
After some more tweaking of various settings, I am starting to change my mind.
It also seems that the system sounds better the louder it's played. Turn it up to "11" and it's really not bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 04:57 AM   #6
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep GC Overland

Quote:
Yes, maybe it's not so bad
After some more tweaking of various settings, I am starting to change my mind.
It also seems that the system sounds better the louder it's played. Turn it up to "11" and it's really not bad at all.
Exactly. If you don't like to use it at mid to loud volume then there really is little point. The lower the volume the smaller the difference between it and the mid spec business system.
Appreciate 0