11-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #89
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
But hey. I would say "Enjoy your M5," but I just realized you can't even drive it without the engine blowing up. Some awesome M engineering right there!!!
Says the guy running an OTS tune.. lol
Put it this way, if you have someone read the data, you will be SHOCKED at the amount of knock and other tune related errors.
      11-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #90
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

edit

Last edited by paradoxical3; 12-28-2012 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #91
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
I actually read that as offering something to everyone, as a fair compromise.

The M+number badging is still rare and exclusive (as it should be).

The M alone 'just' means M equipped beyond the normal stock model, at a step below that.
Well, except for the 1M which is a 'proper' M car and just has an M and no number.

In the end only the "real gear heads" will know which models are what. Either they will tell you it's an added M badge on an M sport model or they will ask you "oh, I didn't know they made an X1M!" . Won't make a bit of difference to the rest of the population.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #92
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Pretty much everything you said is incorrect.

1. The M3 has only 414 horsepower, and the 1M has 335. With the JB4 stg 2 and e85, my X1 is just over 400 horsepower at the crank. Even without e85, my X1 is still faster than a 1M.

2. The vast majority of M cars are sold with automatic gearboxes

3. The brakes on the 35i are actually bigger than the 28i's and are quite good.

4. Weight distribution is nearly 50/50. What are you talking about?

I haven't added an emblem to my x1, but it doesn't change the fact that the 35i M sport is practically an "M" car. Things would be different if BMW had never come out with the X5 M or X6 M, but now that they have, there is practically no differentiation between the 35i M sport and what they would come out with a X1 M. Again, I'll run down the list for you:

The X 1 35i M sport already has:

1. M suspension
2. M DTC and stability control software
3. More power routed to the rear wheels than the non-m version
4. 19 inch M wheels and p-zero tires
5. M specific bodywork
6. M badges on the sills, steering wheel, and wheels
7. With the JB4, a 0-60 faster than the M3's and a 12.9 1/4 mile - faster than a Cayenne turbo S
8. Nearly 50/50 weight distribution.

So again, what's missing from a X1 "m" ?
well you ask for peoples opinion right?.So there you go,you got your answer and dont ask them why BMW doesnt make an X1m.Do whatever makes you go to sleep soundly...but for me..its a NIL.PEACE!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #93
3Bims
Private
Rep
Drives: XXX

Not sure what this thread is about anymore. If its about rebadging cars, where would the concept end...if one modifies an x5m (555hp to 650 hp) does it become an mplus? Or do you just list all your mods on the side so people will know? On the other hand, if the thread is now simply about the notion that one can modify a car to make it perform the same, similar or better to another car, there is no doubt but that's not a mystery.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #94
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91, E93, E46, 9974CS, 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djminkin View Post
I dont think people will laugh, the car will certainly perform pretty close to an X5M with 400HP. It does look a lot different than the stock X1 and like someone else stated its pretty well M badged everywhere else, wheels, door sills, steering wheel etc. I do want to remove the side badges Xdrive 35i if I decide to keep it.
People will laugh because there is no X1 M and it doesn't matter how many mods you put into it to increase the horsepower.

Anyone BMW enthusiast that pulls up to you or see your car will do this...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #95
Bmwdriver22
Rep
Drives: '13 x1 msport

nobody likes to look like a poser. coming from an m5 i know what m drivers think when they see an m badge on something like a 528xi or similar. we have a very nice x1 with the m sport package and i think a license plate or frame with an m badge is good enough. but this is just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #96
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91, E93, E46, 9974CS, 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwdriver22 View Post
nobody likes to look like a poser. coming from an m5 i know what m drivers think when they see an m badge on something like a 528xi or similar. we have a very nice x1 with the m sport package and i think a license plate or frame with an m badge is good enough. but this is just my opinion
+1 well said
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #97
3Bims
Private
Rep
Drives: XXX

I just drove by a 328 wagon that had an m badge attached near the license. My first thought was nice looking wagon. My second was, there's a person who is not secure in their own domain.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #98
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
dont put an M badge if whats under your hood is not M
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #99
miataken
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1, White, Xenon, Leather

Don't do it. It reminds me the Honda boys putting the SI badge to replace the DX badge on a Civic, only because they put on the SI wheels and lower the car.

It's better to be a dark horse than a wannabe.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #100
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
The M+number badging is still rare and exclusive (as it should be).

The M alone 'just' means M equipped beyond the normal stock model, at a step below that.
I don't quite agree with that since that notion would remove the Z3 and Z4 M Coupes/Roadsters from being proper ///M cars. Both have completely different engines (e.g. more than just a different tune) from their non-M brethren. They are more than a M-package being applied (like the ZHP).
      01-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #101
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I don't quite agree with that since that notion would remove the Z3 and Z4 M Coupes/Roadsters from being proper ///M cars. Both have completely different engines (e.g. more than just a different tune) from their non-M brethren. They are more than a M-package being applied (like the ZHP).
This. I don't think Teleskier remembered the M Coupe/Roadster models, because I've never heard anyone refer to them as anything less than a true M car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #102
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Don't forget the 1M Coupe, which also only had an M, since the M1 is an altogether different animal.

For me, if you have an M on the trunk and clearly don't have a real M, I point and laugh. This was really effective when I had my M Coupe and frequently saw a guy with an E39 528i on stock wheels with square mirrors and an M5 badge.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #103
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

What kind of message is the M badge(on a non-M car)supposed to be sending...and to whom is the message directed.
And is this similar to taking an Audi A5 S-line and giving it a tune and slapping S5 on the back? Oh I think it is!
So if the OP still wants advice, I say it will look stupid.

Last edited by HBWT; 01-11-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #104
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
I was actually debating this. After mods mine has approximately 400 bhp and since the car has M badges everywhere else from the factory, an M suspension, and M wheels, why the heck not?

And if the enthusiasts laugh, they are welcome to lose in a race if they wish.

I haven't done it yet, but am thinking about it.
Dude, you drive a 400hp X1. "If the enthusiasts laugh they are welcome to lose in a race" - you really think your car is the fastest thing on the road?

BMW drivers (and I have been, and am about to be one again) are a trip. Reminds me of the 330i that revved on me and blew by me when I was test driving an X3. X3! My sales guy (who drives an M3) then proceeded to brag about how he smoked a Challenger the other day who "wanted a piece" - dude probably wasnt even racing. Couldnt have rolled my eyes any harder. Talk about proving the stereotypes right.

As for the M badge, I wouldnt do it. Thought about it myself, and honestly if it isn't an M car....it isn't an M car. There's nothing wrong with it as is though, it's a great car, no need to try to be something it isn't.

Having said that - to each their own, do what makes you happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #105
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan Turbo, Jet Black

Not a fan of it and certainly won't be doing it myself, but whatever floats your boat I guess.
Personally I'd rather have no badges and enjoy the surprised looks when the little X1 moves at such pace....especially after a tune!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #106
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

I wish the M Sport didn't have any M badges at all, and would be named something different.

Finally my wife understands ///M, Alpina, AMG, and Brabus...then she was so disappointed when I had to explain that we weren't getting a true ///M, despite the badges.

I have had tuned BMWs that were faster than stock Ms, but that's just in a straight line. A true M can be driven on the track without any modification (although some dedicated track tires would be adviseable).

I wish they would stop all of this M confusion and call these M packages something else. However, I know its all about making money and they are capitalizing on their brand. If I were an exec, I would likely do the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #107
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
I wish the M Sport didn't have any M badges at all, and would be named something different.

I wish they would stop all of this M confusion and call these M packages something else.
Yes! I will likely end up with a M Sport Line X1 at some point in the near/semi-near future and would almost want to swap out the door sills.....they just don't seem right. What would be nice is if the Sport Line had a "sport" suspension instead of just the thicker bolstered seats and trim options. The 'Sport Package' from years past came w/ the sport seats, some trim/wheel fluff, but also had a stiffer suspension over stock.
      01-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #108
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Yes! I will likely end up with a M Sport Line X1 at some point in the near/semi-near future and would almost want to swap out the door sills.....they just don't seem right. What would be nice is if the Sport Line had a "sport" suspension instead of just the thicker bolstered seats and trim options. The 'Sport Package' from years past came w/ the sport seats, some trim/wheel fluff, but also had a stiffer suspension over stock.
But apart from useless visuals, the suspension and programming is all that differentiates the sports package from M-sport. It's the only thing that makes M-Sport sportier than Sport, now that even the wheels are the same.

And, truly, most buyers aren't going to like the harder suspension. I've seen posts here about people buying the M-sport and complaining about the suspension being too stiff for comfort. WTF. I blame the dealers for not telling them straight out that M-sport would be a bad idea unless they want to drive it hard and are willing to take discomfort as a trade-off. The Sport line fill a niche for those who want to appear sporty, but don't want to actually drive it hard.

My suggestion: Drop Eco-Pro on the M-Sport. Warnings that you accelerate and brake too hard? Does BMW want to turn the M-Sport drivers into grannies, giving people on the road an impression that M-Sport is for those who are allergic to acceleration and hard braking before turns?
And put on a more effective air filter, like on some other models with the N55. The few extra horses might not make a lot of difference, but it would make it win over the Sport line in a straight quarter-mile. Right now, the Sport has a tiny edge on the straights just due to weighing a few pounds less.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #109
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
But apart from useless visuals, the suspension and programming is all that differentiates the sports package from M-sport. It's the only thing that makes M-Sport sportier than Sport, now that even the wheels are the same.

And, truly, most buyers aren't going to like the harder suspension. I've seen posts here about people buying the M-sport and complaining about the suspension being too stiff for comfort. WTF. I blame the dealers for not telling them straight out that M-sport would be a bad idea unless they want to drive it hard and are willing to take discomfort as a trade-off. The Sport line fill a niche for those who want to appear sporty, but don't want to actually drive it hard.

My suggestion: Drop Eco-Pro on the M-Sport. Warnings that you accelerate and brake too hard? Does BMW want to turn the M-Sport drivers into grannies, giving people on the road an impression that M-Sport is for those who are allergic to acceleration and hard braking before turns?
And put on a more effective air filter, like on some other models with the N55. The few extra horses might not make a lot of difference, but it would make it win over the Sport line in a straight quarter-mile. Right now, the Sport has a tiny edge on the straights just due to weighing a few pounds less.
I hear ya. In my head, the Sport Line is not even sporty. It's like someone tossing Recaros or similar into their car. The old sport package got the 'sport' seats, some trim/wheel fluff, but also a re-tuned suspension. I was originally going to get a Sport Line but for 1.9k all I really got was the better bolstered 'sport' seats (a requirement for me) and that's it. The trim/wheel fluff means nothing to me. For 1.1k more one at least gets a stiffer suspension and slightly different SW on top of the 'sport' seats. That seems justifiable to me since it'd cost me that or more just to re-tune the suspension myself + risk having the warranty voided.

For the M Sport Line, BMW advertises 'sports suspension' over the 3 other variants of the X1 but does not define it further (at least in the brochures) to say that the ride is stiffer. For instance, in the marketing material, they say "Specially bolstered front sport seats hold you firmly during spirited driving maneuvers that take advantage of the taut sport suspension." I assume the average person just hears 'sport' and doesn't realize what that entails. This reminds me of, again, the sport package of years past. Sport package usually got you summer perf tires instead of all-seasons but the average person heard 'sport' and didn't read into it more. Come winter/snow, they would say BMW and/or RWD sucks/is horrible. Really..... Like with anything you buy, do your homework and/or ask questions!

ECO PRO can be disabled/turned off, no? Or do you just mean tweak it (e.g raise threshold, etc...) as part of the SW changes the M Sport Line already gets?

Slower? Psh! Nothing that adding a few more ///M badges won't fix!
      01-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #110
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Guys, Guys. Come on, were all fellow bimmers and are a family. We should let these threads slide and just accept it on what they are, as long you know your BMWs then it's all good.

We should really hate non BMWs putting a M emblem on it. That is just really unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread