Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

Closed Thread

02-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #133
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i work car...

Do what you want. It's your car. Who cares what other people think about it. The only people you need to worry about what they think is your family and your employer. Who cares what people on a stupid website think. Plus you already knew the answer to this question. You knew people would flame you... And you did it anyways just to get the nose in the air BMW enthusiasts going. It is quite amusing though.
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Breakout - Wifey
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #134
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatManWins View Post
100% agreed that there's no X1M, but if there is an "M" factory package with the "M" logo on selected locations on the vehicle, why not add another "M" logo to the package anywhere the owner prefers, now...if the vehicle has no factory "M" package and you add an "M" logo that's complete joke and I won't recommend doing it.
Because packages do not make the full M vehicle. They are bits and pieces from the full M vehicles. On the X1 it's mostly body kit, slightly lower, and sport suspension with an increased speed limiter (still less than 150, probably due to tires). Those few bits are just not close to the overall design of an actual M vehicle that's balanced and tuned. Not just some assembled M parts

But hey the others are doing too, AMG, F Line, S Line, etc all made for the normal vehicles. Why should BMW be any different.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #135
BatManWins
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue X1 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
Because packages do not make the full M vehicle. They are bits and pieces from the full M vehicles. On the X1 it's mostly body kit, slightly lower, and sport suspension with an increased speed limiter (still less than 150, probably due to tires). Those few bits are just not close to the overall design of an actual M vehicle that's balanced and tuned. Not just some assembled M parts

But hey the others are doing too, AMG, F Line, S Line, etc all made for the normal vehicles. Why should BMW be any different.
I agree that is not a full tested and conditioned "M" vehicle...but it's equipped with "M" componets including "M" logos, what I meant to say is that if it comes with "M" logos from factory there's nothing wrong with adding more "M" logos to it

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #136
ddee63x
Derrick-Dee
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i M Sport Pkg (Ameri

Just looking at all these quotes about the M badge is hilarious to say the least. It seems my fellow Americans are very badge/label conscious. As an American who has been living in Europe for 17 years and has been a BMW owner for the last 13, I have seen all types of BMW's on the roads of Italy, Germany, Austria and the rest of Europe. Many BMW's that I see here are not even available in the USA and they come with M badges without the number designation unless it is truly an M car like the M3 or M5. In addition the M550d xDrive sedan/wagon and the BMW X5M/X6M 50d 5.0d xDrive is very prevalent over here, and these cars have M badges all over them including the hatch.
http://www.autoevolution.com/engine/...0d-xdrive.html
I have never heard any of my European friends complain about M badges as incessantly as on this post. Besides, a lot of BMW's here don't even have badges on them to begin with and most people here don't just slap badges on their cars. Furthermore in most of the USA, especially those living in and close to large cities; you can't even drive your M cars to full potential due to traffic speed limitations anyway. For those with the M Sport package, I would recommend if you do want to put the M badge on your car, take the number designation off and just have the M on the hatch. I have the X1 M sport as well but I'm leaving it as is. Waiting for the X4.

Last edited by ddee63x; 03-03-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #137
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddee63x View Post
Just looking at all these quotes about the M badge is hilarious to say the least. It seems my fellow Americans are very badge/label conscious. As an American who has been living in Europe for 17 years and has been a BMW owner for the last 13, I have seen all types of BMW's on the roads of Italy, Germany, Austria and the rest of Europe. Many BMW's that I see here are not even available in the USA and they come with M badges without the number designation unless it is truly an M car like the M3 or M5. In addition the M550d xDrive sedan/wagon and the BMW X5M/X6M 50d 5.0d xDrive is very prevalent over here, and these cars have M badges all over them including the hatch.
I have never heard any of my European friends complain about M badges as incessantly as on this post. Besides, a lot of BMW's here don't even have badges on them to begin with and most people here don't just slap badges on their cars. Furthermore in most of the USA, especially those living in and close to large cities; you can't even drive your M cars to full potential due to traffic speed limitations anyway. For those with the M Sport package, I would recommend if you do want to put the M badge on your car, take the number designation off and just have the M on the hatch. I have the X1 M sport as well but I'm leaving it as is. Waiting for the X4.
Well said.

It seems that the people who get their panties twisted the most are those who want to further separate themselves status-wise. People who paid up for the real //M are the ones who get upset when someone puts it on a non-m car.

As someone who has had both in the past, I doesn't bother me in the least. I actually would put an //M on mine as it does have solid performance and the //M package, but the backlash would be to severe. That and I just don't care much anymore. I took the badge off my m3 for a while. THAT was awesome.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #138
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

My compliant with folks "badging" is the vast majority of the time they are badging vehicles that do not perform to the level the badge is supposed to represent. It was pretty bad in the first generation Cadillac CTS-Vs (04-07) as a lot of standard CTS owners swap various body parts and would badge theirs as Vs. The problem being anytime that car was tested against another it gave a false impression of the brand, which YT did have multiple videos showing. (as well as other brands). Those badged brands represent the higher levels of engineering for a particular car maker. That may not matter to most.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #139
BatManWins
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Name:  IMG814.jpg
Views: 8253
Size:  99.3 KB

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #140
ddee63x
Derrick-Dee
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i M Sport Pkg (Ameri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
Well said.

It seems that the people who get their panties twisted the most are those who want to further separate themselves status-wise. People who paid up for the real //M are the ones who get upset when someone puts it on a non-m car.

As someone who has had both in the past, I doesn't bother me in the least. I actually would put an //M on mine as it does have solid performance and the //M package, but the backlash would be to severe. That and I just don't care much anymore. I took the badge off my m3 for a while. THAT was awesome.
That's cool. Majority of the M3 and M5's I see here in northern Italy don't even have a badge. Additionally, I see more M5 Touring's than sedans.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #141
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Personally I am not a fan of putting manufacturers badges on that would not be there per the company. I don't care per se but to me a car just looks silly with an M/AMG/etc badge glommed on when it would not come that way from the factory for the market it is in.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #142
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

I am against breast implants and false ///M badges, but if you love them I have no problem with it (free country). BatManWins' car looks good regardless of how I feel about the badging.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #143
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
BatManWins' car looks good regardless of how I feel about the badging.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #144
3Bims
Private
Rep
Drives: XXX

Just don't get putting an M, RS or AMG badge on a car that isn't. How 'bout putting "Turbo" on a 911 that isn't or maybe buy some Ferrari wheels and steering wheel for a Maserati and call it a Ferrari...What is the idea behind doing any of that? If you modified your car, putting an M badge on is not short hand for "I have a modified car". But, whatever...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #145
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Many BMW's that I see here are not even available in the USA and they come with M badges without the number designation unless it is truly an M car like the M3 or M5.

I would recommend if you do want to put the M badge on your car, take the number designation off and just have the M on the hatch.
Really? Last I checked this is considered a true M car.

Batman: your M badge looks ridiculous and has no place on an otherwise nice looking X1.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #146
3Bims
Private
Rep

Saw an x5 50i today with the m package. Its a nice suv. Sure enough, on the back was pasted an M badge. I still wonder why the owner would do that...I'm not more impressed, it doesn't change the car and it's not an x5m ( which some do not consider a true m).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #147
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Dude, skip the badge and save yourself getting laughed at. You'll just end up with photos of your car on other forums... In the end do what you want, but since you asked....
+1

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #148
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

I actually de-badged my M3. The whole point of an M car, I thought, was the sleeper effect, but to each his own
      03-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #149
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

It's all about being noticed for the badge: Polo, Lacoste, etc.

IMHO, false ///M badgers fall into one of these categories. Many ///M drivers fall into the Yuppity category as they don't have the skill to drive the car and purchased it just for notoriety.

Quote:
Poser
Someone who acts like someone they're not, but not realizing that there being fake, basically a loser trying to fit in.
Quote:
Yuppity
A combination of yuppie and uppity. An adjective describing a person in the upper-middle to upper socioeconomic class (usually a yuppie), who acts as if they are above everyone else. Symptoms include snootiness, haughtiness, and generally distasteful treatment of the people around them.
Most tuners, like AC Schnitzer, Dinan, and Burger all offer some sort of badge or sticker that are more appropriate than misusing the ///M

http://www.burgertuning.com/burger_m..._stickers.html
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #150
ddark13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i

its your car and you can do whatever you like to it...

that being said, personally, if i saw one of these on the street my reaction would be that sticking on an "M" badge is similar in spirit to ricer civics with coffee can exhausts bolted onto their bumpers or people slapping AMG badges on C250/C300s.. I've never driven an M3 but even compared to an Audi A5 2.0t (my previous car), the X1 is not even in the same league when it comes to grip, center of gravity, and sporting intent of the car.

If I could afford an M3 or M5, I'd probably take off the M because only people who actually knew about cars would see the quad exhausts and know what it was and if your main concern is impressing other people, I'm sure the BMW badge is enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #151
BatManWins
Private
United_States
Rep

I actually put the "M" on the hatch of my X1 because of the "M" package I have and also cause a few years from now I have plans on getting a true "M" car and I want to get used to having an "M" badge on my rear...

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #152
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
I want to get used to having an "M" badge on my rear...
Then get a tattoo. But no pictures, please!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #153
3Bims
Private
Rep

Quote:
I actually put the "M" on the hatch of my X1 because of the "M" package I have
makes one wonder why BMW didn't think to do that
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #154
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bims View Post
makes one wonder why BMW didn't think to do that
Because it's not an "M" car no matter how hard 'wanna-be's' want to think it is.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread